Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 64 bit SAW/SAC Successful Hardware and OS Choices

Hah! We must have been writing at the same time, Dell. Well, as I said in my second to most recent post: 'I am intrigued'. From the mag. article (linked above) it would seem that LTSB is not exactly a single animal. And, at least one of those animals in the 2016 edition runs out of support in 2021. At that point you'd have to replace it with whatever regular W10 edition they chose to replace it. I'm not sure whether I care about that or not but it leaves open the possibility that the new version breaks SAW/SAC. Also, although it's clear that some of the fluff that comes with W10 isn't in the LTSB edition, it's still, at it's heart, the same as whatever edition of the regular W10 that it is based upon. Do you know whether one has more control over the inner workings of W10? The mag article doesn't indicate that you do (but also doesn't indicate that you don't...).

<edit...> Oh - and I currently use a Fireface 800, which makes use of firewire, and it works very well as far as it goes on simple stuff. But when I try to do a little more in SAC, although not a lot, like track drums, two guitars, three mics, a VSTi and VST effects - when I save, SAC does weird stuff - like I get bleed over into unused channels that show up on the output and a hum I can't track down. I ultimately have to abandon my whole setup and start over - sometimes more than once. And I'm very reluctant to change anything in a working setup ever again. Is it the processor? Is it the firewire? My choice of firewire interface card? I don't know.

When I built that machine I did not follow Bob's advice regarding processor choice and converter interface the way I did with the rock solid box I setup in 1997 on his recommendation. I have built all my computers since 1985 and spent a career as a professional programmer. I wanted something more powerful. I believed I could reliably choose superior components for this application by spec as I had chosen them for many other applications including at work. I was wrong and I don't want to make the same mistake again. By all reports, Bob's stuff works fantastic on the hardware he has recommended. But... not necessarily on some others for reasons that are not clear to me. So, although I appreciate your thoughts on hardware that you think might be good, I prefer to duplicate something that is already proven. That said - again, thank-you again for going out of your way to try to help me.
    Last edited by John Ludlow; 02-14-2019 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Added text

HI Boys and Girls!

I've been reading up on the WINDOWS 10 Enterprise versions.... I ordered a new SSD today and I'm thinking of doing a new WIN 10 install.

I'm using WIN 10 PRO currently. I've read through much of the info on this thread and info elsewhere.

Would anyone care to comment anew on this? Is there a consensus at this point on this or any new thoughts or experiences: WINDOWS ENTERPRISE? LTSB 2016? OR?????

From what I gather LTSC 2019 is a no go.

Any comments appreciated!

THANKS a bunch!

Commodor
    Last edited by Perry; 05-02-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Perry,
    From what I gather LTSC 2019 is a no go.
    ... Why are saying this? I have tested it - and with no issues.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 05-02-2019 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Perry, ... Why are saying this? I have tested it - and with no issues.
    Dell - if I may interject, how many simultaneous channels have you tested it on? Your usage of SAC and SAW seems to be for just one or two. People who want to do 24 might have a different experience. That's at least my concern.

Blog Entries

John,

May be have a chat with cgrafx then. I believe that he is using the LTSB version.

Regarding your question, if I have 12 instances of Overloud's TH-U - all live and all using various presets, would this not be a workable test of stability. I had this setup running with the Behringer UMC404HD and the UMC1604HD with USB - thus giving me 12 channels and all with an MT load of around 67%.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    Dell - if I may interject, how many simultaneous channels have you tested it on? Your usage of SAC and SAW seems to be for just one or two. People who want to do 24 might have a different experience. That's at least my concern.
    My production system (running XP) is a 32 channel system with 24-28 channels active most of the time (I've had a few shows with all 32 channels running).
    FOH
    5 stereo in Ear mixes
    4 floor wedge mixes
    4 AUX Send Effects channels

I run 1x64 buffer setting and my load runs about 15-20%

My new test core i3 system running on Win10 LTSB has actually been stable down to 1x32 buffers (load 20-25%), but I'm still working out system configuration and it has not replaced my XP system yet.

As of now I haven't seen any issues that would prevent me from moving to Win10 64-bit LTSB. I just haven't finished bench testing the configuration.

Moving to 64-bit has meant having to abandon all the legacy 32-bit stuff, so have been evaluating new 64-bit plug-ins before I go live.

I have also been testing a move to Thunderbolt or maybe USB instead of my RME RayDAT interface, but haven't got that working as yet. (The thunderbolt card didn't work with my motherboard, even though it has the physical header/interface for the card - apparently no driver support for this particular motherboard).
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Hi Guys,

THANKS for the replies on this! Very helpful. I received my new 500 GB SSD today already (overnight from AMAZON.. Whoo Hoo!) and I'm going to take the plunge and order Win10 LTSB from the link posted earlier in this thread.

Thanks much for the link and all of the rest of the posts here about this. This is still the best place I know of to find experienced and trustworthy information about the ever-changing landscape we travel with all this!

PERRY

Blog Entries

Perry,

LTSB is now LTSC - which is simply a designation of the way in which the software is distributed. Other than that, LTSB and LTSC are pretty much the same.

See here: Windows 10 LTSB becomes Windows 10 LTSC

Purchase: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    My production system (running XP) is a 32 channel system with 24-28 channels active most of the time (I've had a few shows with all 32 channels running).
    FOH
    5 stereo in Ear mixes
    4 floor wedge mixes
    4 AUX Send Effects channels

I run 1x64 buffer setting and my load runs about 15-20%

My new test core i3 system running on Win10 LTSB has actually been stable down to 1x32 buffers (load 20-25%), but I'm still working out system configuration and it has not replaced my XP system yet.

As of now I haven't seen any issues that would prevent me from moving to Win10 64-bit LTSB. I just haven't finished bench testing the configuration.

Moving to 64-bit has meant having to abandon all the legacy 32-bit stuff, so have been evaluating new 64-bit plug-ins before I go live.

I have also been testing a move to Thunderbolt or maybe USB instead of my RME RayDAT interface, but haven't got that working as yet. (The thunderbolt card didn't work with my motherboard, even though it has the physical header/interface for the card - apparently no driver support for this particular motherboard).

Please, please let us know when you have finished your bench test, Phillip - and thanks so much for being the test dummy. Like you, I am also interested in how Thunderbolt works with it since that is the latest. I desperately want to build a new SAC/SAW system and I have an itchy credit card!

My LTSC download came as an ISO file. I found a Microsoft utility that converted it to an installable format. Download the ISO file to disk and then target your thumb drive with the MS utility.

The installer complained that it could not contact the enterprise server to pull the license key. There is an option to manually enter the key on that screen. That worked without problem. (You will get your license key in an email along with the download link.)

I put this on a computer that I will use as a lighting controller. It only has a Celeron processor at around 2 GHZ. The installation seemed to go fast even on the toy computer.