Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 64 bit SAW/SAC Successful Hardware and OS Choices

Bob, in your experience, what is a known processor/MB/OS combination that, having been thoroughly tested, has worked especially well for you? Do you have a preference among the versions of 64 bit Windows with the new software? Any that are sketchy and should be avoided if possible? Thanks.

Default Re: 64 bit SAW/SAC Successful Hardware and OS Choices

All of my large system builds have been with my embedded XP OS up to now... so I can't answer that. I have only been testing the new 64 bit stuff on some basic system builds with Win 7, 8 and 10... I still like 7 best, I guess because it is closest to XP... I am still experiementing with cleaning up win 10 setups... little by little I am getting them thinned down from all the background stuff running.

Bob L

Okay - that's helpful. I prefer W7 too - but I'm hoping to transition to an OS that's still being supported by it's manufacturer - just on GP. Looking forward to your results with W10, Bob, and hoping for the best.

Blog Entries

John,
    ...but I'm hoping to transition to an OS that's still being supported by it's manufacturer...
    ...John, a couple or "things"...

First, contact the major hardware developers, such as RME, Antelope, Behringer - to name just three, and ask them where they see driver support going. All three have told me personally that they see no immediate end to Windows 7 support.

Second, in a recent Dell OptiPlex build, I was able to get Windows XP to work on this 3-year old system. Some drivers were a bit hard to find, but if you know where to look, they can be obtained.
    * This was just a "test" system, not ever to used in actual production. I just wanted to see if installing Windows XP could be accomplished.

Third, I have been working with Windows 10 now for a bit, and other than the "flat-look" of Windows 10, I have been able to reduce much of the overhead that comes with Windows 10.
    * This being said, it is really too bad that Microsoft does not make the LTSB version of Windows 10 available to audio users. With this version you can turn off pretty much everything that is not required. I have found the same "tweak-ability" if the Home and Pro version not so. For example, Cortana keeps popping her head up every now and then. Any "fixes" that I have tried have worked for a bit, then these fixes apparently fail after a time. Wirth LTSB, there is no Cortana at all.

I hope you find this information helpful?

Dell, I'll use whatever I have to. I still have an XP installation running SAC and SAW. But, my experience is that it's nicer have access to whatever the majority of providers are writing for at the time. I think W7 isn't slated for a complete exit until 2020 - which is fortunate for me because this very machine I'm writing to you from is running it. Like Bob, I just prefer W7.

Still, I think this may be the last time we go through a major change with SAW, although I could be wrong. I expect to use this for the rest of my life. I have first hand experience with one thing after another requiring something that my XP system doesn't have access to - although it records just as well as it did on the first day. It will be nice to be able to run my Fishman Triple Play through the new system using their software. A VSTi drummer is in my future now. There are usually work-arounds for systems that have gone around the bend - but it will be so nice to be relatively current and not have to work-around at all. The longer that situation can last - the better for me. So, I'm hoping to build this new system to be solid - but also as future-proof as possible. But, as I said, I'll use whatever I have to. I've been running SAW for twenty years now - I don't really want to change.

Blog Entries

John,
    I've been running SAW for twenty years now - I don't really want to change.
    ...The way in which SAW - and SAC for that matter "work" I see no need to change either.

I do find it interesting that when an application is launched, the desktop area of the system would be obscured by the application. So, could someone tell if the system was running Windows 10 or Windows 7?
    * Note: I think you actually could - due to the "flat" look of Windows 10. The same could be said for Window's XP and Windows 7.

Just for interest.

Note: I recently had the opportunity of working with three new motherboards, an ASUS, a Gigabyte and an MSI. Of the three, the MSI was the nicest to work with - the ASUS...the worst. I really do not like the way in which manages the BIOS settings. MSI, again was the preferred. Gigabyte was in-between the two. What this means to me is that though I have been using ASUS for years, I would probably opt for an MIS board. All systems used an 8th gen i5, 16GB of RAM and either an ADATA 120G or 240GB SSD, along with a 500GB or a 1TB WD Black series HDD.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 01-08-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Well... let's give Bob a chance to zero in on a system. He always comes up with one that is rock solid and capable. Those are the qualities I'm looking for. Measure twice - build once, you know?

Bob, I've been looking at high-end processor clock speeds and there are very few that are made to run as high as 4Ghz anymore. I have an 8086K in my gaming machine that is made to run at 4Ghz stock. I overclocked mine to 5Ghz with a water cooler on an Asus gaming MB and it was an easy hack. On the one hand, it's a six core processor and five would be relatively idle, but on the other - that sixth one would be running pell mell at least. I wonder whether the 8086K might be a good SAC/SAW processor?

Its all speculation at this point... just have to experiment and see what ends up the best choice.

Remember... many cores does not necessarily equate to higher performance... in many cases... less performance... too many chefs in the kitchen.

Bob L

It's looking like it may be awhile before Bob publishes his hardware/OS recommendations for SAW and SAC 64. I want to build a new system to make use of them and I don't want to wait indefinitely. Unfortunately, I don't have an existing 64 bit system that I can devote to SAC/SAW use. I'll have to build one in order to even test. I'm planning on updating my converters and pres for the build as well. So, on the one hand, it's very exciting. But, on the other, it has the potential to be an *extremely* expensive disaster too. I'm hoping the forum can help.

I can't get a feel for how many people have upgraded and how successful they have been. If you have had good success using SAC/SAW 64 with more than a few channels - I'd appreciate it if you let me know the processor, MB, RAM, and OS you're using. Here are my main requirements - which are considerably easier than the limits of the software:

1.) I need 24 simultaneous channels.
    2.) I would buy however much RAM that would benefit me.
    3.) I use a fair amount of VST's and VSTi's.
    4.) I prefer Windows 10 for longevity considerations but would use W7 if I had to.
    5.) Bob mentioned that the cores that SAC/SAW wasn't using can be pressed into service for VSTs and VSTi's. If that's the case then I also prefer more cores - as long as that doesn't interfere with the operation of the one running SAC/SAW.

So, if you have a 64 system working very well with the new stuff and within the parameters above - I'd sure appreciate it if you'd chime in.

While we're at it, I'm wondering about converters too. Years ago, expansion card based connectivity with the computer was preferred over Firewire/USB due to the potential of gaps when the stream was doing something else. Is that still the case? To me, the thunderbolt-based RME and UA products have appeal because, in a pinch, I could use them with a laptop in situations that were not as demanding. And thunderbolt is so fast that maybe whatever gaps it has are immaterial? But, I don't want to go down that road at all if it might cause me problems. I want very low latency that I can set and forget.

What do you think? Is, for instance, a Fireface UFX+ a great option in a SAW/SAC 64 environment these days? Or is a card still better (which one)? Who has tested this themselves and knows for sure? For that matter - is a UFX+ total overkill for my needs?

Thanks!