Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 64 bit SAW/SAC Successful Hardware and OS Choices

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    It's looking like it may be awhile before Bob publishes his hardware/OS recommendations for SAW and SAC 64. I want to build a new system to make use of them and I don't want to wait indefinitely. Unfortunately, I don't have an existing 64 bit system that I can devote to SAC/SAW use. I'll have to build one in order to even test. I'm planning on updating my converters and pres for the build as well. So, on the one hand, it's very exciting. But, on the other, it has the potential to be an *extremely* expensive disaster too. I'm hoping the forum can help.

I can't get a feel for how many people have upgraded and how successful they have been. If you have had good success using SAC/SAW 64 with more than a few channels - I'd appreciate it if you let me know the processor, MB, RAM, and OS you're using. Here are my main requirements - which are considerably easier than the limits of the software:

1.) I need 24 simultaneous channels.
    2.) I would buy however much RAM that would benefit me.
    3.) I use a fair amount of VST's and VSTi's.
    4.) I prefer Windows 10 for longevity considerations but would use W7 if I had to.
    5.) Bob mentioned that the cores that SAC/SAW wasn't using can be pressed into service for VSTs and VSTi's. If that's the case then I also prefer more cores - as long as that doesn't interfere with the operation of the one running SAC/SAW.

So, if you have a 64 system working very well with the new stuff and within the parameters above - I'd sure appreciate it if you'd chime in.

While we're at it, I'm wondering about converters too. Years ago, expansion card based connectivity with the computer was preferred over Firewire/USB due to the potential of gaps when the stream was doing something else. Is that still the case? To me, the thunderbolt-based RME and UA products have appeal because, in a pinch, I could use them with a laptop in situations that were not as demanding. And thunderbolt is so fast that maybe whatever gaps it has are immaterial? But, I don't want to go down that road at all if it might cause me problems. I want very low latency that I can set and forget.

What do you think? Is, for instance, a Fireface UFX+ a great option in a SAW/SAC 64 environment these days? Or is a card still better (which one)? Who has tested this themselves and knows for sure? For that matter - is a UFX+ total overkill for my needs?

Thanks!
    Don't bother with firewire its a dead technology.

USB and Thunderbolt can both easily handle 24 channels. Motu says they can get 64 channels IN/OUT on USB2. I believe they get 128+ using Thunderbolt.

I'm inclined to believe the Thunderbolt drivers are more reliable from a utility standpoint, meaning when you turn on the system it will remember the connections more consistently/reliably than USB which has the ability to get stomped on if there are other USB devices plugged in.

Keep in mind this is an educated guess not based on direct experience with USB or Thunderbolt interfaces.

I'm currently updating my system as well but I'm still using ADAT as my method of I/O to the computer via an RME RayDAT card.

I have replaced my Behringer ADA8200 with Motu 8Ms. I haven't tried the USB or Thunderbolt options on those interfaces yet but plan on running some tests, as I should actually be able to drop the latency from the current 6+ms to under 4ms (maybe even under 3ms).

I'm also currently working on a new motherboard configuration running Win10 LTSB.

I'll post updates about this process once I get everything fully tested.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

cgrafx,
    I'm also currently working on a new motherboard configuration running Win10 LTSB.
    ... May I ask where you are getting LTSB?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    cgrafx,
    ... May I ask where you are getting LTSB?

www.bonanza.com

just put windows LTSB into the search field
    Last edited by cgrafx; 02-11-2019 at 06:36 PM.
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

cgrafx,

Thanks for the link ... much appreciated!

So, for $12.00US - you can obtain a legal, licensable copy of Windows 10 LTSB!! [click_me]

For anyone running either SAC or SAW - this to me anyhow, is a no-brainer.

May I ask which one of the many items, listed that you actually purchased?
    Last edited by mr_es335; 02-11-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    cgrafx,

Thanks for the link ... much appreciated!

So, for $12.00US - you can obtain a legal, licensable copy of Windows 10 LTSB!! [click_me]

For anyone running either SAC or SAW - this to me anyhow, is a no-brainer.

May I ask which one of the many items, listed that you actually purchased?
    Purchased back in July 2017.

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

My Mackie Onyx 1220i works great in Win7 64bit SAW64 sees all in I/O with no issues. I see no need to upgrade my DAW OS to Win10 yet.

Phillup, Dell, and Micro - thanks very much for responding.

It looks as if maybe nobody has used SAW 64 in an environment that includes 24 simultaneous tracks yet - or, at least, no-one who wants to respond just yet. Maybe, like me, they have been waiting for OS/hardware recommendations. There are over 200 people who have this forum open right now and over 500 views of this particular thread - so it's not from lack of notice.

Phillup - I will be looking forward to your results, and thanks in advance for sharing them.

I wasn't considering using firewire in the new system. The Fireface UFX+ is thunderbolt, if that's what caused the miscommunication. I just wanted to distinguish systems making use of a generalized interface (like firewire, USB, and thunderbolt) from those that use a proprietary audio interface that requires an interface card (like Raydat and ADAT). This is because, in the past, the generalized interface was thought to cause glitches. And like Dell I'm intrigued by your sourcing of Windows 10 LTSB!

Micro - I'm glad you are getting good results - albeit maybe not with as many tracks as 24, and not with W10. Could you share your motherboard, processor, and OS version? Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post

Micro - I'm glad you are getting good results - albeit maybe not with as many tracks as 24, and not with W10. Could you share your motherboard, processor, and OS version? Thanks!
    I have a 2010 Mac Pro with 32GB ram and a 6 core 3.6 cpu. I installed Win 7 64bit on it and it is amazing. I also need MacOS so it all works out great.

Blog Entries

John,

I would heartily recommend the use of Windows 10 LTSB! To me - it is the perfect choice for an audio-based system. If not, just stick with Windows 7 Pro.

Also, FireWire was a great protocol - much better than USB - in my humble opinion. ADAT - though a older technology, seems to be the most stable that I have seen. I do expect Thunderbolt to be the next "latest and greatest" however.

I honestly do not think that you will have any issues with running 24 channels - regardless of the actual system purchased. I would save my money and obtain a used Dell OptiPlex 900o0 series desktop system. These are great, robust systems. From there, obtain a recognized Thunderbolt PCI-e card to work with your REM interface.

Thanks, Micro.

For those who are curious as to the specific differences between W10 and W10 LTSB, here is a primer:

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...explained.html