Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to save the position of context-driven windows

Here's something I've been wondering about since the advent of SAWStudio.

Contolling the position and layout of most SAWStudio windows is straightforward, and can be saved in an F-key file.

However there are a few windows that are context-determined, and therefore don't seem to be controllable. A couple of examples: the Sound File window following a BuildMix, and the library of plug-ins that displays when the 'FX' button is clicked on a Plug-In view window. These always appear at the same position, in the same size, etc.

Depending on the chosen layout, these context-driven windows seem to be pre-located, and cannot be moved around in a way that is savable.

I can't find a way to select the position I want for these windows and save it from session to session in an F-Key file. Or have I missed something?

Thanks for any ideas.

Roger

Default Re: How to save the position of context-driven windows

You can move context boxes by clicking and dragging on the header at the top of the box , also if you put your pointer on the side or corner or bottom of the box a double arrow will appear and you can resize it.
    Last edited by Paul Helmers; 01-10-2019 at 07:58 PM.

Blog Entries

radiorog,

May I ask just how you go about creating and saving F-Key configurations now?

Paul -
    I understand that. My question is, how can I save it to a context window to an F-key file so that it shows up at the same location and size in later sessions. Or is that even possible?

Dell -
    The usual way. I move a context window to the location and size I want, strike Shift-Fkey to set it, and then from the File->F-key file->Save selection, save to a named file. But f I start a new session, the context window is back in its original position.

Let me be more explicit:
    I have the default layout saved to F-10. Start SAW, and the default layout opens. I open the FX choices window, and it opens at a certain location. I move the FX choices window and expand the size. I save that layout as default with Shift-F10. I close the FX window and save default again with Shift-F10. Save the F-key file with File->F-key file->Save Default. Close the session and exit SAW. Now open SAW again, click the FX key in the plug-ins window. The Plug-ins window is back in its original position (not where I moved it to before).

Hope this is clear.

Roger

Create an Fkey with the FXChoices and Pre and Pst Patch windows where you want them... move other windows out of the way... save the Fkey file, then save the default Fkeys so this stays from session to session.

Everytime you want to address plugins, just press that FKey and your windows will be ready to go where you saved them.

Bob L

Blog Entries

radiorog,
    ...and then from the File->F-key file->Save selection, save to a named file. But f I start a new session, the context window is back in its original position.
    ...This is your problem, once you have created your F-Key view, then you must end the operation by going to File > F-Key File > Save Default...as Bob stated. In a real sense, you must overwrite the current default F-Key configuration for that view to "stick".

Yes you can save F-Key files, but there should be considered as temporary, or for backup purposes, or for use in special cases.

Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by radiorog View Post
    Paul -
    I understand that. My question is, how can I save it to a context window to an F-key file so that it shows up at the same location and size in later sessions. Or is that even possible?

Dell -
    The usual way. I move a context window to the location and size I want, strike Shift-Fkey to set it, and then from the File->F-key file->Save selection, save to a named file. But f I start a new session, the context window is back in its original position.

Let me be more explicit:
    I have the default layout saved to F-10. Start SAW, and the default layout opens. I open the FX choices window, and it opens at a certain location. I move the FX choices window and expand the size. I save that layout as default with Shift-F10. I close the FX window and save default again with Shift-F10. Save the F-key file with File->F-key file->Save Default. Close the session and exit SAW. Now open SAW again, click the FX key in the plug-ins window. The Plug-ins window is back in its original position (not where I moved it to before).

Hope this is clear.

Roger
    Sounds like nobody's really answering your question as you asked it, sorry.

I think you're correct with one exception: the size/shape of the popped-up FX choices window does seem to save, but not the location. I haven't experimented with the SoundFile view following a buildmix operation, but I'm betting it's the same. I'd always assumed the SF view window was popping up wherever it was saved (or it's default position, if I never saved it) in the current F-key view.

Looks like Bob didn't make the location of said pop-up FX choice windows saveable with the F-key views. (Although, interestingly, he did make the size/shape saveable.) As Bob has indicated, the only way to get the windows where you want them is to save them (while they're open) as part of an F-key view(s).

I never use the FX button. Maybe this is why. It's pretty quick to press an F-key button, after all. But, yeah, this does seem to me like a slightly "under-developed" part of the ergonomics. Maybe it's just a thing that fell off his radar during development, because it's rarely used. (It's never been brought up before, so far as I know.) The fact that size/shape saves, but location doesn't, seems to point at this likelihood.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 01-11-2019 at 08:03 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

The FX button on the patch windows follows where that patch window is at the time you press the button... this way you can have the window anywhere and the associated button popup will follow where your focus is.

If you use the FKey method I explained, then the windows will always stay where you save them in the Fkey and its easy to handle plugins whenever you use the FKey.

Bob L

Thanks, Dave. Good explanation, and I think you're right. It's such a minor annoyance, it's not a big deal.

And using Bob's suggestion is easy enough. So, problem taken care of.

Thanks to everyone.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by radiorog View Post
    Thanks, Dave. Good explanation, and I think you're right. It's such a minor annoyance, it's not a big deal.

And using Bob's suggestion is easy enough. So, problem taken care of.

Thanks to everyone.

Roger
    Also.... if you go back to your saved files.... you'll find you can still open/use those - choosing anyone that you want as a default.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com