Close

Blog Entries

Default Tutorial: Updating 32-Bit Shades to 64-Bit Shades

Hello,

I have just completed a tutorial entitled, "Updating 32-Bit Shades to 64-Bit Shades". This tutorial is some seven pages in length and does not require any previous knowledge of how to use the Resource Hacker application.

Along with the lesson cover, there is a ZIP file provided that contains everything that you will require to complete the accompanying tutorial.

Everything that you will need to know about converting shades from 32-bit to 64-bit will be covered in some detail in this tutorial.

Remuneration
    This tutorial has taken me some 8-10 hours to complete and has been tested and re-tested to ensure that all is working as it should. As a result, I will be asking for a small donation for those that are interested in learning to perform this operation for themselves. You will find all of the information on the RML Studios Tutorials Page.

Once I have received your donation, I will then send you a link to download the lesson cover and the accompanying ZIP file. All of the donated funds will go towards the eventual purchase of the 64-bit versions of SAW and SAC - as I have always used these applications "in tandem".
    Note: As a point of interest, though I was prepared to pay a nominal fee for the updates, I found that I was first, unprepared for the upgrade fee from SAWStudio Lite to SAWStudio Full. (I completely concur with Bob on the practicable reasons for not providing a 64-bit update for SAWStudio Lite.) And second, the current state of our wonderful Canadian dollar in relation to the American dollar. Both of these "anomalies" have left me a bit short at the moment.

Your support for this tutorial will be very much "under-demeciated"!
    Last edited by mr_es335; 01-19-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tutorial: Updating 32-Bit Shades to 64-Bit Shades

Good day,

Due to recent unforeseen circumstances, I am now in a position to offer this tutorial at no charge to you - though if you feel "moved to do so", donations will be kindly and gratefully accepted.

If you would like to obtain this tutorial, then please, send me an email, and I will send you the download links - one for the .pdf file and one for the ZIP file.

As a point-of-interest, I have compiled a list of SAWStudio and SAC versions which lists the total number of bitmaps located in each of the various SAWStudio and SAC iterations.

Attachment 2900

Observations: SAWStudio has remained consistent with 261 bitmaps. However SAC has gone from 167 bitmaps to 257 bitmaps.

In a recent response from Bob, he stated, "...the older shades started with less bitmaps...as SAWStudio evolved more and more graphics were added...the design allowed for the earlier shades to still work because any needed bitmap that was not found in the shade automatically reverted back to the bitmap in the default shade...so that way updates would still work even before or if older shades were ever updated."
    * Note: I have tested this out for myself and can affirm that this is indeed the situation.

Converting SAWStudio shades to SAC and vice-versa
    Though updating shades from 32-bit to 64-bit is a rather "seamless" process, converting SAWStudio shades to SAC and vice-versa may not be. Though both applications do use similar graphical content, due to the inherent differences between the two applications, the overall graphical content greatly differs from one application to the other.
    * Note 1: Please see the following pdf file - [click me]. Items in black are common between the two applications, items in blue are specific to SAC, and items in red are specific to SAW.
    * Note 2: In my own testing, I discovered that it is possible to use SAW shades in SAC, but not vice-versa. Any attempt to use SAC shades in SAW will cause SAW to crash. However, I have been able to ADD SAC bitmaps to a SAWStudio64Graphics.dll file - overwriting the existing bitmaps. This does seem to work - though I have not tested this process thoroughly.

I sincerely hope that you find this information of assistance to you.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 01-20-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tutorial: Updating 32-Bit Shades to 64-Bit Shades

Good day,

As I had mentioned in a previous post, I knew that by using the Resource Hacker application, that there would be a script that could be used to perform the update process. And, lo-and-behold, Brett has provided one! Thanks so much Brett. Very much appreciated!
    * The text for this script is provided here for any that are interested: [click_me]

However, for that that are interested, I have taken Brett's original text and have created an updated tutorial for you.

If you would like to obtain this tutorial, then please, send me an email, and I will send you the download links - one for the .pdf file and one for the ZIP file.

Important Note
    Two things:

First, Though I cannot speak for Brett, I sincerely believe that he went though all of this effort to provide a means for his customers so that they are able to update the 32-bit shades themselves. I, for one, am truly grateful for his efforts. I sincerely hope others are as well?

Second, I am providing this updated tutorial for you at no charge. This is done solely for by belief in both Bob and his software - and to do whatever it is that I am able to - to continue my support for these applications.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 01-20-2019 at 12:06 PM.