Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is anyone using Source Connect with SAWStudio?

We are getting more and more requests for Source Connect sessions from prospective clients on the east coast and Europe. It does seem to favor Mac and ProTools. Are any of you using it? Helpful hints? I'm messing with ports and IP addresses now. Oy.
    Oh and since the search bar seems to prefer single words, I'll type it again as sourceconnect. There... Boolean impaired

Thanks!
    Scott
    Last edited by studio-c; 01-20-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Default Re: Is anyone using Source Connect with SAWStudio?

Hey Scott,

I used SourceConnect for a couple of years with a client who switched from ISDN to SC. Due to network weirdness inside the client's building, it was pretty awful. But with a few other clients, it worked very well, with no dropouts and usable quality. The support folks at SC were very helpful in getting set up and trying to figure out the client's issues. But that was several years ago. I don't know if they can offer the same level of personal support if they've grown.

Even if you don't record the SC output, it can function as a very nice phone patch, with MUCH higher quality than a POTS line. In several cases, I had the client listen via SC, but sent them a wav file later. On the other hand, the data compression isn't too bad at higher bitrates, especially for a mono VO. The upgrade version offers better bitrates, IIRC.

HTH
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by studio-c View Post
    We are getting more and more requests for Source Connect sessions from prospective clients on the east coast and Europe. It does seem to favor Mac and ProTools. Are any of you using it? Helpful hints? I'm messing with ports and IP addresses now. Oy.
    Oh and since the search bar seems to prefer single words, I'll type it again as sourceconnect. There... Boolean impaired

Thanks!
    Scott
    I've noticed the paid account offers 320 bit rate, Non paid only 128 or so... I like Ian's suggestion of sending wav file afterwards. If the client is dropping things in on the fly... it would be much better to give them 320. Hard to believe we spend thousands of dollars on a mic/pre and then send final files via squashed 128 and call it 'good'.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    I've noticed the paid account offers 320 bit rate, Non paid only 128 or so... I like Ian's suggestion of sending wav file afterwards. If the client is dropping things in on the fly... it would be much better to give them 320. Hard to believe we spend thousands of dollars on a mic/pre and then send final files via squashed 128 and call it 'good'.
    I don't know how the compression algos compare between LAME MP3 and SourceConnect, but if they're similar in fidelity, I think anyone would have a hard time discerning 128 from uncompressed audio. Mono program. Especially for voice. Just sayin'.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

OK, yesterday I downloaded Source Connect and, even with the help of the SC guy, wasn't able to record in SAW, nor Sound Forge for that matter. He suggested I download Reaper and he'd be able to get it running for me. It was for a session today so I had to pay for a bridge between my Zephyr and a gal who had SC only.

Is there anybody who can shine some light on this matter for me? It might have been because the low man on the SC help totem pole had to work on Presidents' Day. I can try their help line again.

Thanks,
    Bill
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    OK, yesterday I downloaded Source Connect and, even with the help of the SC guy, wasn't able to record in SAW, nor Sound Forge for that matter. He suggested I download Reaper and he'd be able to get it running for me. It was for a session today so I had to pay for a bridge between my Zephyr and a gal who had SC only.

Is there anybody who can shine some light on this matter for me? It might have been because the low man on the SC help totem pole had to work on Presidents' Day. I can try their help line again.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Hey, Bill -- not the perfect solution, but you could always use the free Chrome browser version of SC, then use something like VAC to pipe the audio into SAW. I've done some of that kind of thing, albeit with a different provider (BodalgoCall).
    Becket, Massachusetts

Here is an update. I got Source Connect Pro. Better bit rates than the less expensive version.

We are on the last of 6 days of recording NatGeo specials with two post houses in London.
    Reading to picture.
    I installed Pro Tools on my laptop, and have SC on a track, using Rewire.
    The post house in London is driving the session (RTS in SEND mode), we are in RECEIVE mode.
    So basically they are re shuttling the video and recording there. They stop at each block to nudge the vo into place. Sometimes it is off because of a lag, sometimes it is the vo coming in early or late, sometimes, they are combining parts of takes.

I am recording the whole thing in SAWStudio, and send them those files after the session, as a backup. Split track, vo on left, Brit commentary on the right, so they can hear themselves saying ***8220;that***8217;s the good take,***8221; jjust in case they need to repair anything with my SAWStudio tracks.

We have had a couple of points where we needed to reconnect. But really smooth. One note, using WIRED network connection is essential. Wireless had a lot of glitches.

Sending at 160 kbps, 48k mono. Receiving their talkback at 96kbps, 48k mono.
    Super clear and transparent.

You do need a good upload speed for it to work well.

I am really loving this.
    Last edited by studio-c; 02-26-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by studio-c View Post
    Here is an update. I got Source Connect Pro. Better bit rates than the less expensive version.

We are on the last of 6 days of recording NatGeo specials with two post houses in London.
    Reading to picture.
    I installed Pro Tools on my laptop, and have SC on a track, using Rewire.
    The post house in London is driving the session (RTS in SEND mode), we are in RECEIVE mode.
    So basically they are re shuttling the video and recording there. They stop at each block to nudge the vo into place. Sometimes it is off because of a lag, sometimes it is the vo coming in early or late, sometimes, they are combining parts of takes.

I am recording the whole thing in SAWStudio, and send them those files after the session, as a backup. Split track, vo on left, Brit commentary on the right, so they can hear themselves saying ***8220;that***8217;s the good take,***8221; jjust in case they need to repair anything with my SAWStudio tracks.

We have had a couple of points where we needed to reconnect. But really smooth. One note, using WIRED network connection is essential. Wireless had a lot of glitches.

Sending at 160 kbps, 48k mono. Receiving their talkback at 96kbps, 48k mono.
    Super clear and transparent.

You do need a good upload speed for it to work well.

I am really loving this.
    Very cool. Thanks for the report, Scott. No offense to anyone intended, but why aren't you just tracking it in PT while it's open?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Very cool. Thanks for the report, Scott. No offense to anyone intended, but why aren't you just tracking it in PT while it's open?
    Because it***8217;s not my first rodeo... LOL... Specifically,
    They were shuttling the PT session from their end. It was starting, stopping, shuttling etc. Not really possible to run a linear track. They were also recording alt takes to separate tracks, I imagine, to assemble and move around the timeline. My PT session was just slaving to theirs, minus the recording part.

Even if that were possible, I wanted to record to a totally separate machine. One that could do a solid backup and never crash. SAWStudio I trust with my life. I wasn***8217;t 100 percent convinced that PT would not for some reason crash and I***8217;d lose a critical line of dialog.

Chances are slim that they***8217;ll need any of my recording. But they always want us to run a copy anyway.

But the OCD part of me loves redundancy.

I don’t know what’s up with the iPad, but it’s messing up all my apostrophes and quotes... grrrr....