Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Is anyone using Source Connect with SAWStudio?

Quote Originally Posted by studio-c View Post
    You do need a good upload speed for it to work well.
    What type of service and spec/performance did you have for the session?

Thank you for the detailed report!

Is your PT laptop a Mac or PC?
    Michael McInnis Productions

Quote Originally Posted by studio-c View Post
    Because it***8217;s not my first rodeo... LOL... Specifically,
    They were shuttling the PT session from their end. It was starting, stopping, shuttling etc. Not really possible to run a linear track. They were also recording alt takes to separate tracks, I imagine, to assemble and move around the timeline. My PT session was just slaving to theirs, minus the recording part.

Even if that were possible, I wanted to record to a totally separate machine. One that could do a solid backup and never crash. SAWStudio I trust with my life. I wasn***8217;t 100 percent convinced that PT would not for some reason crash and I***8217;d lose a critical line of dialog.

Chances are slim that they***8217;ll need any of my recording. But they always want us to run a copy anyway.

But the OCD part of me loves redundancy.
    I remember I used to roll a DAT deck for mission-critical backup recording during ISDN sessions. Back when we weren't so confident about our DAWs.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Thanks Scott! I'm going to have to install ProTools since SAW studio doesn't use re-wire. Did you use ProTools on a Laptop or another Desktop?
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

I don't use 'Source Connect', but unless you already have Pro Tools, you might want try a cheaper alternative, such as REAPER or Cakewalk Sonar(which is under new management and is a free download) or Reason(limited). These DAWS do support the Re-Wire Protocol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReWire...ware_protocol)
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Danny O View Post
    I don't use 'Source Connect', but unless you already have Pro Tools, you might want try a cheaper alternative, such as REAPER or Cakewalk Sonar(which is under new management and is a free download) or Reason(limited). These DAWS do support the Re-Wire Protocol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReWire...ware_protocol)
    I agree, and would suggest you look very seriously at Reaper. It's extremely inexpensive and quite a mature piece of software. You can try it for free for 60 days. It's not SAWStudio, but then... nothing is.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Thank you all for the valuable suggestions!
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio