Close

Thread: USB connection

Default USB connection

I have a small Roland keyboard with a usb out . How can I connect with Saw using the usb? Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: USB connection

Kimbo,
    I have a small Roland keyboard with a usb out . How can I connect with Saw using the usb? Thanks
    ...It might be helpful if you provide the model #.

This being said, USB-powered devices will generally have device drivers that you install to make that device available to the operating system. This device will then be displayed as an available MIDI device in the applicable software application being used.

Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
    I'm curious. Is the USB, here, for MIDI or audio? Or both?

If there's audio functionality through the USB connection, much as Dell said, you would want to install the audio device driver for the keyboard. Whether MIDI or audio, be sure to follow the manufacturer's driver install procedures, then the virtual device (MIDI or audio) will appear in the appropriate preferences selection section in a program like SAW.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 01-24-2019 at 06:38 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

If your keyboard can be used as a midi controler, you may not need a driver, the software may be built in, and will reconize and can be used by a midi application. SawStudio can handle midi in a couple of ways....I suggest you check out Microstudio's youtube page...I learned a lot from it...

https://www.youtube.com/user/Learningsawthedaw/videos

.....I suggest you read the manual for your Roland keyboard.
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

The key phrase here is "class compliant". If a USB device is class compliant, the necessary driver will automatically load when the device is connected to your computer, so there is no installation procedure necessary. I recently bought a Alesis controller keyboard (just midi, no internal sounds) that is class compliant. When I connected it to my laptop, it was immediately available, and could be accessed by SawStudio.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Cary,
    The key phrase here is "class compliant". If a USB device is class compliant, the necessary driver will automatically load when the device is connected to your computer, so there is no installation procedure necessary.
    ... Good point, Cary! Glad you brought this up. But, may I ask where is Kimbo?