Close

Default New machine considerations - usb3.1 to firewire

So I am considering retiring my pentium 4 - it is amazing how well these things can work if you get them clean - and then never plug them into the internet. It still runs saw studio quite nicely. Win 7 service pack 3 (it might be pro).

I see on rml's page:
    System Requirements
    SAWStudio64
    64 Bit Code
    Runs on Win 7-64Bit, Win 8-64 Bit, Win 10-64 Bit
    2gb Min Ram
    Windows MME, WDM, or ASIO 64 Bit Compatible Soundcard

Anyway, the P4 may or may not be 64 bit.

First a bob question: If SS64 works on my old rig should I expect similar performance?

Then a John conjecture - I would expect due to the nature of software evolution, that many modern plugins may have a higher cpu performance consumption than older 32 bit counterparts.
    ...followed by: Do our existing 32-bit plugins still function in SS64?

If I have to junk it, I might replace it with a laptop, however I have a Mackie Onyx with firewire which works quite nicely for me and I have no need to replace it. The brings up a key question:

Does anyone know if a thunderbolt to firewire cable will work in USB-3.1?
    Should it require special drivers (which would never get written) - or just work?

John

Default Re: New machine considerations - usb3.1 to firewire

SAWStudio64 should give similar or better performance on newer systems with more ram for the 64 bit usage. But... some newer 64 bit plugins may add cpu overhead not found in the earlier 32 bit versions... so its hard to predict your results.... you would just have to test and see.

Bob L

Blog Entries

jmh,
    Does anyone know if a thunderbolt to firewire cable will work in USB-3.1? Should it require special drivers (which would never get written) - or just work?
    ... Various places offer adapters to convert one signal type to another. This being said, it would be preferable for you to contact the developer and discuss this point with them. I believe the key to this process is:

"faster-to-slower = OK!"
    "slower-to-faster = Not OK!"

In do know, that when I had a PreSonus Firewire interface, that Thunderbolt to Firewire DID work - and di work very well, even thought PreSonus was no help at all!

Hope this helps?

I have seen Thunderbolt to Firewire cables - which apparently use the usbc jack. Thunderbolt support appears to be part of the USB3.1 spec (and Firewire support may be built into Thunderbolt) and the adapting may already be in the hardware. I know I may be dreaming - but there is a straw of a possibility that it could work.

I've become a non-windows user with the exception of the old SS machine so I should also ask if Windows 10 includes a Mackie Onyx driver (as I suspect that USB3.1 may not work on older versions of windows)?

Here is an encouraging link for me - not particularly definitive - but sort of answers my question:
    https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...dows-10-a.html
    ...and also demonstrates why Microsoft sucks so much...

Anyway, it looks like the sure thing is a tower with a firewire card running an older OS.

John

Thunderbolt is not part of the USB-C spec. You can buy MoBo's with USB-C ports which do not support Thunderbolt. If you want tales of woe regarding incompatible boards, pop over to the UAD forums to see which things work (and the many that don't).

If you want Firewire support, you need either:
    1) a native Firewire port on the MoBo (which is quite unusual these days) or a FW card.
    2) a Thunderbolt 3 hub which has a Firewire output
    3) If you have a TB2 port, you can use a Thunderbolt 2 to firewire adapter (consider using an Apple one as many cheap generic TB connectors do not actually support TB).
    There is no TB3 to Firewire connector available. I wouldn't expect a chain of adapters to work (TB3-TB2 + TB2-FW).

USB-C to Firewire isn't a thing.

Dominic
    Last edited by DominicPerry; 01-29-2019 at 12:26 PM.

Blog Entries

I bought a 2010 MacPro for $597 and then installed Win7 on it now I have both MacOS & Win at my fingers and can Run any software. I have a Mackie ONYX 1220i and it just plugs right into my MacPro stock FW port and works great. The old MacPro's 2009-2013 are cheap these days and they are powerhouse computers still, I added 32gb memory for $86-used and a new Video Card with 4K-used. It has plenty of expansion ports to add in anything you want. O and these computers are silent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    I have seen Thunderbolt to Firewire cables - which apparently use the usbc jack. Thunderbolt support appears to be part of the USB3.1 spec (and Firewire support may be built into Thunderbolt) and the adapting may already be in the hardware. I know I may be dreaming - but there is a straw of a possibility that it could work.

I've become a non-windows user with the exception of the old SS machine so I should also ask if Windows 10 includes a Mackie Onyx driver (as I suspect that USB3.1 may not work on older versions of windows)?

Here is an encouraging link for me - not particularly definitive - but sort of answers my question:
    https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...dows-10-a.html
    ...and also demonstrates why Microsoft sucks so much...

Anyway, it looks like the sure thing is a tower with a firewire card running an older OS.

John
    I do not have Windows 10 but I do have Win7 and it works great on it. I have a ONYX 1220i

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    I do not have Windows 10 but I do have Win7 and it works great on it. I have a ONYX 1220i
    Yes that is the rig I have been running - except I have the ONYX 1220 with the firewire card. I don't know what is the distinction. Anyway it is serving me well.

...and to Dominic, I believe USB-C is a connector type. Many new machines have USB3.0 ports and now 3.1 are starting to appear. These are specifications for capabilities. It is hard to keep up with this crap - particularly when I have been using a Pentium4. I might just take a core2 or older i-series machine from a friend's work junk heap and go with that as my upgrade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0#USB_3.1

...if that were not enough, I see there is also 3.2. Also the 20Gb rate should support about 20,000 24bit 44.1k simultanious tracks - which is almost enough for me!

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    I might just take a core2 or older i-series machine from a friend's work junk heap and go with that as my upgrade.
    I would if I were you.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com