Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default OT: Windows 10 Versioning Schemes

Goo day,

I am curious to know how many are aware of what I have come to refer to as "Windows 10 Versioning Schemes"? Have a look:

Attachment 2918

If I understand the above correctly - and I would love to stand corrected if I am not, that each version of Windows 10 - is in actuality, a new version of Windows 10!

For example, the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, Version 1809, codenamed "Redstone 5" which was made available to public consumers on October 2, 2018. This in effect, is a new version of Windows 10 - not just an update - even though this update is referred to in this manner. What is particularly interesting about this version is what Microsoft referred to as "a serious bug " - where user's files were being deleted after updating. Microsoft in response, halts this new version and releases the fixed version - now an update, four days later. However, this updated version still had a bug that overwrites files without any confirmation when extracting from a ZIP file. This ZIP bug was fixed and a public rollout of the updated version resumed on November 13, 2018.

A question then, "Do you know what version of Windows 10 you are using at present? Here is what I am testing at the moment:

Attachment 2919

This is the most recent and last major update - at least from I have been able to ascertain, for Version 1809. Notice the "OS Build Version".

The simplest way to discover what version and build of Windows 10 you are using is use the following command: C:\Windows\System32\winver.exe

Just curious?!

Default Re: OT: Windows 10 Versioning Schemes

It 'appeared' to me that all versions of the 1809 (October 2018) update deleted audio card drivers and reinstalled Windows drivers which caused problems with the audio card operation. To test further what was happening, I bought a used replacement audio card and got the same poor results. In last ditch effort, I "Back Versioned" to the 1807 (April 2018) version and now both old audio card and new audio card work perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post

I am curious to know how many are aware of what I have come to refer to as "Windows 10 Versioning Schemes"? Have a look:

Attachment 2918

If I understand the above correctly - and I would love to stand corrected if I am not, that each version of Windows 10 - is in actuality, a new version of Windows 10!

For example, the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, Version 1809, codenamed "Redstone 5" which was made available to public consumers on October 2, 2018. This in effect, is a new version of Windows 10 - not just an update - even though this update is referred to in this manner. What is particularly interesting about this version is what Microsoft referred to as "a serious bug " - where user's files were being deleted after updating. Microsoft in response, halts this new version and releases the fixed version - now an update, four days later. However, this updated version still had a bug that overwrites files without any confirmation when extracting from a ZIP file. This ZIP bug was fixed and a public rollout of the updated version resumed on November 13, 2018.

A question then, "Do you know what version of Windows 10 you are using at present? Here is what I am testing at the moment:

Attachment 2919

This is the most recent and last major update - at least from I have been able to ascertain, for Version 1809. Notice the "OS Build Version".

The simplest way to discover what version and build of Windows 10 you are using is use the following command: C:\Windows\System32\winver.exe

Just curious?!
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

You may want to consider Win10 LTSC (Long Term Servicing Channel) if you want to avoid compulsory updates.

Blog Entries

Dominic,

Yes the LTSB version is the only way to go for audio folks.

And at $15.00US - you simply cannot go wrong.

Note: I gather that a new branch will be released soon.

Dominic,

Yes the LTSB version is the only way to go for audio folks.

And at $15.00US - you simply cannot go wrong.

Note: I gather that a new branch will be released soon.
    Where can you find this version for sale? For $15?

Dale

Blog Entries

Dale,

Check here: [Click_me] ... and a "Thank you" To cgrafx for this one!

Dale,

Check here: [Click_me] ... and a "Thank you" To cgrafx for this one!
    Thanks!

Dale

Blog Entries

Good day,

The following image is of the newest Version and build of Windows 10, noted as "19H1":

Attachment 2947

Notice the Windows.old folder - this is a backup of the previous version and build, thus indicating that Version 1903 is a completely new version of Windows 10 - obviously. This "procedure has been a standard procedure for Microsoft for some time now and from my experience can lead to "issues" such as failed video, audio and printer drivers in particular.

As noted, new Windows versions - known as "Feature updates" can be deferred for 365 days, at which time you will be "forced" to update to a newer version. And, as I had mentioned previously that though attempts have been made to stop or prevent updates from occurring, that any and all attempts will, as some point, fail.
    * Since there are a number of Windows "versions" out there, you have to ensure that you are using current information. For example, one YouTube example from Apr 6, 2019, shows you how to disable the Windows Update service. However, though the date of the video is current, the Windows version that is being used in from May 2017. Since the 1803 version, Microsoft has stated emphatically that you will not be able to disable updates completely - thus the purpose in the provision of "deferred updates".

Again, the solution is obtaining the LTSC version of Windows 10 - which does not use updates at all, is considered "current" for three years, and has a ten year support cycle.

As always, I hope that you find this information helpful?

Dell, you say that there's no way to permanently keep Windows 10 (non-LTSB/C) from updating, but what happens if that computer remains disconnected from the Internet? Will that accomplish it? Or will Windows stop working at some point?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,
    Dell, you say that there's no way to permanently keep Windows 10 (non-LTSB/C) from updating, but what happens if that computer remains disconnected from the Internet? Will that accomplish it? Or will Windows stop working at some point?
    ... As I am NOT a sole WIN10 user, I cannot state precisely what will occur.

This being said, I have been in contact with two individuals that use their laptops permanently off-line, have both have stated that with the 1709 Version that both of these systems were inundated with update reminders to the point where one initiated the update process and the other obtained the LTSB version of Windows 10. One even stated that the Windows Update service had even been resumed.
    Note: It would have been interesting to have seen precisely what would have occurred over a longer period of time. Also, It would have been interesting to have had screen captures of what exactly was going on during this entire process. Due to the issues that occurred with the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, for a pro user, I would not waste my time with non-LTSB/LTSC versions of Windows 10.

Hope this helps?

PS: Some interesting information here: Windows lifecycle fact sheet. The footnote shown here is "interesting", "Note: Not all features in an update will work on all devices. A device may not be able to receive updates if the device hardware is incompatible, lacks current drivers, or is otherwise outside the original equipment manufacturer's (OEM) support period."
    Last edited by mr_es335; 04-07-2019 at 09:44 AM.