Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: OT: Windows 10 Versioning Schemes

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,
    ... As I am NOT a sole WIN10 user, I cannot state precisely what will occur.

This being said, I have been in contact with two individuals that use their laptops permanently off-line, have both have stated that with the 1709 Version that both of these systems were inundated with update reminders to the point where one initiated the update process and the other obtained the LTSB version of Windows 10. One even stated that the Windows Update service had even been resumed.
    Note: It would have been interesting to have seen precisely what would have occurred over a longer period of time. Also, It would have been interesting to have had screen captures of what exactly was going on during this entire process. Due to the issues that occurred with the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, for a pro user, I would not waste my time with non-LTSB/LTSC versions of Windows 10.

Hope this helps?

PS: Some interesting information here: Windows lifecycle fact sheet. The footnote shown here is "interesting", "Note: Not all features in an update will work on all devices. A device may not be able to receive updates if the device hardware is incompatible, lacks current drivers, or is otherwise outside the original equipment manufacturer's (OEM) support period."
    I guess nag screens are enough to drive anybody nuts. How 'bout turning back the system clock as-needed to keep the MS update spirits at bay? Seems like a good approach for those of us who have no need for time-stamp information on their files. Which is, probably... no one.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Default Re: OT: Windows 10 Versioning Schemes

Hello,

Attachment 2957

Have you ever had one of those days? Well, today is one..so may I ask that you humour me for just a moment.

Why is that Windows 10 makes even the simplest tasks much more difficult to perform? For example, in every Windows version since Windows 2000, I have been able to prevent Administrative users from changing their passwords by simply enabling that option. However, with Windows 10 - it takes five steps to complete a task that took only one in Windows 2000. You now receive the following error:

Attachment 2958

But wait a minute - I have never, ever encountered the pre-supposed error that you are referring to. And neither has any of my other IT acquaintances!

What concerns me here is what else has Microsoft done to seriously mess things up? I hear that there are some interesting issues with using UNC paths.

Thanks for listening!