Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default VST Plugins Installation and Usage

Hello,

I am curious to know how many SAC users - or SAW users for that matter, store the VST plugins in the "root" of the VST_PlugIns folder?

As this is the procedure that I used with other software, I initially did the same with SAC - until I learnt what I consider to be a better method.

So, have a look-see: VST Plugins Installation and Usage

Again, I am curious to know how many users store the VST plugins in the "root" of the VST_PlugIns folder? Okay!

PS: This procedure does work for Native plugins - so I would recommend not "tampering" with those?
    Last edited by mr_es335; 02-22-2019 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Update!

Default Re: VST Plugins Installation and Usage

[QUOTE=mr_es335;216569]Hello,

I am curious to know how many SAC users - or SAW users for that matter, store the VST plugins in the "root" of the VST_PlugIns folder?
    /QUOTE]I install them in the VST_PlugIns folder Dell. What are the benefits of using the ini file approach?

Blog Entries

Bruce,

Download the article and see...

Bear in mind, boys, that the main benefit of the INI approach to VSTs in SAW is that you can allow the plugins to install their DLLs where their developers intended, which is often critical to whether or not they'll work right in the DAW host. If there are additional benefits, great.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,
    Bear in mind, boys, that the main benefit of the INI approach to VSTs in SAW is that you can allow the plugins to install their DLLs where their developers intended, which is often critical to whether or not they'll work right in the DAW host.
    ... This being said, over the years I have tested over 300 plugins and all of this plugins I have been able to store in the VST_PlugIns folder. Some plugins even allow for the redirection of other folders via registry tweaks - of which I place in the VST_Presets folder - though may not appropriately so.

If there are additional benefits, great.
    ... If you read the above article - you will discover that there are!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    If you read the above article - you will discover that there are!
    I did read your paper. I'd be interested to see timings of opening SAW in the different circumstances, empirical data. I find it hard to believe that redirecting via INI files would be faster.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Hi Dell;

Apart from saving some loading time, There already a solution provided with Sac / Saw in that you can already organize your plugins! Click on the group button and you can rename and creating different groups and assign plugins to it, the advantage is that you can have a plugin assigned to multiple groups.
    which is not possible following the named sub-directory method.

Appears Bob already provided a solution

Cheers
    Robert V.
    www.shinustudios.com
    www.art2ear.com

Blog Entries

Robert,

This entire post was focused on a single points - with two sub-points. The single point was the efficient loading time of the plug-ins. The other two points were, 2) the storing of all of the plugins in like folders within the VST_PLUGINS folder, and 3) plug-in organization.

I am well aware of the plug-in Group functionality of SAC and SAW - and have used that functionality in the past.

However, this Grouping functionality has nothing at all to do with how the plug-ins are initially organized. If .ini files are not being used, then the "Initializing VST Plug-Ins" dialog would then be invoked. This was the main point in providing this post.

This being said, using Bob's method would permit all plug-ins to be stored in a single folder within the VST_PLUGINS folder - using .ini files to point to those plug-ins.

Also, this posting really had nothing at all to do with finding a solution to anything - and I must admit that I dumb-founded to ascertain how this point could have been construed from my initial posting?

As I do not use a lot of plug-ins - an amp sim, a wavefile player, and two reverbs, I see no immediate benefits of using SAC's Group methodology.

Maybe I am not clearly understanding your point, Robert – and it would appear that you are not understanding mine.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Robert,

This entire post was focused on a single points - with two sub-points. The single point was the efficient loading time of the plug-ins. The other two points were, 2) the storing of all of the plugins in like folders within the VST_PLUGINS folder, and 3) plug-in organization.

I am well aware of the plug-in Group functionality of SAC and SAW - and have used that functionality in the past.

However, this Grouping functionality has nothing at all to do with how the plug-ins are initially organized. If .ini files are not being used, then the "Initializing VST Plug-Ins" dialog would then be invoked. This was the main point in providing this post.

This being said, using Bob's method would permit all plug-ins to be stored in a single folder within the VST_PLUGINS folder - using .ini files to point to those plug-ins.

Also, this posting really had nothing at all to do with finding a solution to anything - and I must admit that I dumb-founded to ascertain how this point could have been construed from my initial posting?

As I do not use a lot of plug-ins - an amp sim, a wavefile player, and two reverbs, I see no immediate benefits of using SAC's Group methodology.

Maybe I am not clearly understanding your point, Robert ***8211; and it would appear that you are not understanding mine.
    Dell, I might suggest you'd be better off making these postings to your own blog instead of this forum. There, your tips and tricks would be organized into one collection and would make a much better reference for those who might benefit from your research and experience. A forum isn't really a good platform for this type of posting because forums are interactive. You can't control the dialog. Your message gets lost in the noise.

If you really are curious as you state in your OP, then post a survey. Allow people to respond and then count the votes.

I think you'll find the majority use mostly the standard method and only go to the ini method when a plugin requires it (to install and run correctly) or when it's more convenient to do so.