Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default VST Plugins Installation and Usage

Hello,

I am curious to know how many SAC users - or SAW users for that matter, store the VST plugins in the "root" of the VST_PlugIns folder?

As this is the procedure that I used with other software, I initially did the same with SAC - until I learnt what I consider to be a better method.

So, have a look-see: VST Plugins Installation and Usage

Again, I am curious to know how many users store the VST plugins in the "root" of the VST_PlugIns folder? Okay!

PS: This procedure does work for Native plugins - so I would recommend not "tampering" with those?
    Last edited by mr_es335; 02-22-2019 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Update!

Default Re: VST Plugins Installation and Usage

[QUOTE=mr_es335;216569]Hello,

I am curious to know how many SAC users - or SAW users for that matter, store the VST plugins in the "root" of the VST_PlugIns folder?
    /QUOTE]I install them in the VST_PlugIns folder Dell. What are the benefits of using the ini file approach?

Blog Entries

Bruce,

Download the article and see...

Bear in mind, boys, that the main benefit of the INI approach to VSTs in SAW is that you can allow the plugins to install their DLLs where their developers intended, which is often critical to whether or not they'll work right in the DAW host. If there are additional benefits, great.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,
    Bear in mind, boys, that the main benefit of the INI approach to VSTs in SAW is that you can allow the plugins to install their DLLs where their developers intended, which is often critical to whether or not they'll work right in the DAW host.
    ... This being said, over the years I have tested over 300 plugins and all of this plugins I have been able to store in the VST_PlugIns folder. Some plugins even allow for the redirection of other folders via registry tweaks - of which I place in the VST_Presets folder - though may not appropriately so.

If there are additional benefits, great.
    ... If you read the above article - you will discover that there are!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    If you read the above article - you will discover that there are!
    I did read your paper. I'd be interested to see timings of opening SAW in the different circumstances, empirical data. I find it hard to believe that redirecting via INI files would be faster.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    I did read your paper.
    ... Are you sure you read it?

With a plugin stored in the root of the VST_PlugIns folder a dialog appears. However, when that same plugin is stored in a subfolder of the VST_PlugIns folder - the dialog does not appear. As I noted, could we not assume then that SAC peeks at the VST_PlugIns folder to discover what .dlls are located in that folder. This must be the case as SAC does indeed launch much quicker.

This is not difficult for you to test for yourself. Install a demo version, pop a plugin in the VST_PlugIns folder - and see what happens. Then move that plugin into a subfolder and then see what happens.

Being "anul-ly" organized, I prefer to create folders based on the type of plugin and then have the plugins of that type stored in their respective folders.

Each to their own - I know!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,
    ... Are you sure you read it?

With a plugin stored in the root of the VST_PlugIns folder a dialog appears. However, when that same plugin is stored in a subfolder of the VST_PlugIns folder - the dialog does not appear. As I noted, could we not assume then that SAC peeks at the VST_PlugIns folder to discover what .dlls are located in that folder. This must be the case as SAC does indeed launch much quicker.

This is not difficult for you to test for yourself. Install a demo version, pop a plugin in the VST_PlugIns folder - and see what happens. Then move that plugin into a subfolder and then see what happens.

Being "anul-ly" organized, I prefer to create folders based on the type of plugin and then have the plugins of that type stored in their respective folders.

Each to their own - I know!
    Yes, I read it.

Sorry, Dell -- I'm not sure I know what your point is, here. Of course SAW and SAC look in their VST_PlugIns folders upon launch. That's where they keep their VST plugins. Are you sure SAC opens faster with the INI files in place of the DLLs?

OK, then here's my guess as to what's going on (total amateur guess): upon launch SAW/SAC looks in its VST_PlugIns folder for any DLLs, and when it sees none, it skips the whole bit where it loads them, cuz they're not there, and so there's no prompt about loading them. It does, however, "load" the pointer info contained in the INI files, which is much quicker a thing to do. This populates the FX list box, which is a simple matter. Then, when you go to patch a plug-in, SAC/SAW use the pointer info to actually load and patch the needed plug-in. So, in theory, patching may take longer using the INI route than using the native route. Albeit inperceptively longer for a single plug-in.

So that's my guess.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Hello,

Here is a very poor video sample - using my office computer. The loading is much quick on my live rig system.

00:00-00:05, without folder, 00:006-00:10, with folder ... [click_me]

Hi Dell;

Apart from saving some loading time, There already a solution provided with Sac / Saw in that you can already organize your plugins! Click on the group button and you can rename and creating different groups and assign plugins to it, the advantage is that you can have a plugin assigned to multiple groups.
    which is not possible following the named sub-directory method.

Appears Bob already provided a solution

Cheers
    Robert V.
    www.shinustudios.com
    www.art2ear.com