Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: VST Plugins Installation and Usage

Robert,

This entire post was focused on a single points - with two sub-points. The single point was the efficient loading time of the plug-ins. The other two points were, 2) the storing of all of the plugins in like folders within the VST_PLUGINS folder, and 3) plug-in organization.

I am well aware of the plug-in Group functionality of SAC and SAW - and have used that functionality in the past.

However, this Grouping functionality has nothing at all to do with how the plug-ins are initially organized. If .ini files are not being used, then the "Initializing VST Plug-Ins" dialog would then be invoked. This was the main point in providing this post.

This being said, using Bob's method would permit all plug-ins to be stored in a single folder within the VST_PLUGINS folder - using .ini files to point to those plug-ins.

Also, this posting really had nothing at all to do with finding a solution to anything - and I must admit that I dumb-founded to ascertain how this point could have been construed from my initial posting?

As I do not use a lot of plug-ins - an amp sim, a wavefile player, and two reverbs, I see no immediate benefits of using SAC's Group methodology.

Maybe I am not clearly understanding your point, Robert – and it would appear that you are not understanding mine.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Robert,

This entire post was focused on a single points - with two sub-points. The single point was the efficient loading time of the plug-ins. The other two points were, 2) the storing of all of the plugins in like folders within the VST_PLUGINS folder, and 3) plug-in organization.

I am well aware of the plug-in Group functionality of SAC and SAW - and have used that functionality in the past.

However, this Grouping functionality has nothing at all to do with how the plug-ins are initially organized. If .ini files are not being used, then the "Initializing VST Plug-Ins" dialog would then be invoked. This was the main point in providing this post.

This being said, using Bob's method would permit all plug-ins to be stored in a single folder within the VST_PLUGINS folder - using .ini files to point to those plug-ins.

Also, this posting really had nothing at all to do with finding a solution to anything - and I must admit that I dumb-founded to ascertain how this point could have been construed from my initial posting?

As I do not use a lot of plug-ins - an amp sim, a wavefile player, and two reverbs, I see no immediate benefits of using SAC's Group methodology.

Maybe I am not clearly understanding your point, Robert ***8211; and it would appear that you are not understanding mine.
    Dell, I might suggest you'd be better off making these postings to your own blog instead of this forum. There, your tips and tricks would be organized into one collection and would make a much better reference for those who might benefit from your research and experience. A forum isn't really a good platform for this type of posting because forums are interactive. You can't control the dialog. Your message gets lost in the noise.

If you really are curious as you state in your OP, then post a survey. Allow people to respond and then count the votes.

I think you'll find the majority use mostly the standard method and only go to the ini method when a plugin requires it (to install and run correctly) or when it's more convenient to do so.

Post Re: VST Plugins Installation and Usage

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave,
    ... Are you sure you read it?

With a plugin stored in the root of the VST_PlugIns folder a dialog appears. However, when that same plugin is stored in a subfolder of the VST_PlugIns folder - the dialog does not appear. As I noted, could we not assume then that SAC peeks at the VST_PlugIns folder to discover what .dlls are located in that folder. This must be the case as SAC does indeed launch much quicker.

This is not difficult for you to test for yourself. Install a demo version, pop a plugin in the VST_PlugIns folder - and see what happens. Then move that plugin into a subfolder and then see what happens.

Being "anul-ly" organized, I prefer to create folders based on the type of plugin and then have the plugins of that type stored in their respective folders.

Each to their own - I know!
    For the record I haven't clicked your links. Haven't read your article and I haven't watched your video. I have no interest in testing this myself.

You're making a point that SAC launches more quickly when it has no plugin dlls to initialize. This we already know.

You're also suggesting the ini method is beneficial because it allows the plugins to be organized in folders. This too we already know.

If I'm understanding correctly you're also suggesting SAC will launch more quickly if we use the ini method to install our plugins. I've never used the ini method to install a plugin because I've not needed to so I'm curious...

Have you tested both the ini method and the standard method with the exact same batch of plugins, and compared the load times? If the ini method is indeed faster, did you then load the plugins in an FX slot to see if they're slow on the first instantiation of a particular plugin?

I think you'll find there really isn't a 'free lunch'. The plugins need to be initialized at some point.
    Last edited by Naturally Digital; 02-21-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Digital View Post
    Have you tested both the ini method and the standard method with the exact same batch of plugins, and compared the load times? If the ini method is indeed faster, did you then load the plugins in an FX slot to see if they're slow on the first instantiation of a particular plugin?

I think you'll find there really isn't a 'free lunch'. The plugins need to be initialized at some point.
    This is what I was trying to get at.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Good day,

May be we can get Bob to tell us what is the function or purpose of "Initializing VST Plug-Ins"?
    * There is nothing that I could find in either the SAW 5.6 or SAC 4.3 manuals.