Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default midi in not working in SS 5.7

I have an EDL for VSTi testing that is used successfully with version 5.6. Today I opened it and got the "midi port not available" message. My MOTU Micro Lite is working. I have verified this using Midi-Ox. I have Midi-Ox shut down when running SawStudio. Has anyone else had this problem? Oh, and this is still the 32 bit version (can't afford to migrate to SS64 yet).

What can be done about this?
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Default Re: midi in not working in SS 5.7

I have had issues with midi and audio gear showing up in SS if I start things in the wrong order. Is it possible that when SS started, the MOTU wasn't powered up yet?

That's all I have. Good luck.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    I have had issues with midi and audio gear showing up in SS if I start things in the wrong order. Is it possible that when SS started, the MOTU wasn't powered up yet?

That's all I have. Good luck.
    The MOTU Micro Lite gets its power from the USB connection, which is powered even when the computer is shut down. This arrangement also worked fine with the previous SS version, which is why I suspect a bug in the new code.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Try unplugging the midi device and then plugging it back in... does it now show up in the midi dialog.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Try unplugging the midi device and then plugging it back in... does it now show up in the midi dialog.

Bob L
    That's the weird thing. In the dialogs that are supposed to list available MIDI devices, the ports show up just fine. They are also listed when I click to select a port to drive the VSTi. Yet I get the error message when the program opens, and when I try to select a port from the VSTi list. It seems that the ports can be "seen" for the lists, but can't be accessed for use. This same port device worked fine when I tested it in 5.6 not too long ago.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

Blog Entries

Cary,

Do the Smpte/Midi options [Midi-Control In Active] and [Midi-Control Out Active] have to be enabled?

For some reason I thought that they had to be enable?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Cary,

Do the Smpte/Midi options [Midi-Control In Active] and [Midi-Control Out Active] have to be enabled?

For some reason I thought that they had to be enable?
    I'm pretty sure those are only about a controller for the mixer and such, like the BCF2000 I used until recently, when one of the faders stopped following the control info from SS (a motor connection loose, maybe?). However, the first time I got the error message, I'm pretty sure I had not yet deactivated midi control in and out.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"

If the device is showing in the available list but cannot be opened... perhaps it is being used by some other program... even in SAWStudio by the Midi Workshop... make sure the device is not selected in any other midi listboxes.

The easy thing to do would be to install 5.7 in its own test folder and run it fresh... then just select that midi device... my guess is that it will work... perhaps something has changed the order of midi devices, like a new external usb drive or something else plugged in that has caused the original midi devices to shift in position... I am seeing no issue with midi selection in 5.7 here.

Bob L

Blog Entries

Cary,

What VSTi are you using? Just curious?

I would love to understand your setup here? Are you using MWS as well?
    Last edited by mr_es335; 02-26-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Cary,

What VSTi are you using? Just curious?
    The VSTi that I was testing with, both before when it worked and now when it doesn't, is SFZ. I like the simplicity of it and the fact that I can use it with several different SF2 GM patch sets that I have collected.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"