Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Go To"?

Default "Go To"?

Is there such a function in the MT? As in "Go to xx:xx:xx clock time or xx:xx:xx::xx time code time. Silly question, right? You'd think I'd know this by now.

No can find in the manual.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Default Re: "Go To"?

With the Timeline view set to Smpte or Tempo, just left-click in the time readout display for a goto dialog.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    With the Timeline view set to Smpte or Tempo, just left-click in the time readout display for a goto dialog.

Bob L
    Thanks, Bob. I used to know that. I guess it's been a while since I've needed it.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Wouldn't it be faster to zoom way out, click on the approximate position on the timeline, then zoom back in? Saves changing to SMPTE or Tempo mode.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    Wouldn't it be faster to zoom way out, click on the approximate position on the timeline, then zoom back in? Saves changing to SMPTE or Tempo mode.
    For sure in most instances. That's my typical approach (and the reason it'd been so long since I'd used the go-to feature and so forgot where it was). Sometimes, though, the go-to feature is the easiest, fastest way to get to an exact point in a big project. The one I'm working on is about 90 minutes in length. The feature is especially handy if this task needs to be done many times in succession, jumping to different points in a project.

Of course, how often is it that you have a desired location noted in time units to start with? Not that often for me. And so the zoom-and-look method usually prevails. For this project, though, I'm working between video editing in Davinci Resolve (omigod, what a powerful free editor!) and audio post in SAWStudio. So... I have HH:MM:SS::FF references to work from.

Now, if only SAW would slave to Resolve. Hmmm... I was kidding, but I guess it probably can if I stripe a track with SMPTE in the Resolve session. Nevermind.
    Becket, Massachusetts

You can also use the 32 locate points to name and set repeated goto locations... also... don't forget about the Control Track View... set that in an FKey for when you need it and use the Cue Location command to label and set locations... then you can jump with a single click.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    You can also use the 32 locate points to name and set repeated goto locations... also... don't forget about the Control Track View... set that in an FKey for when you need it and use the Cue Location command to label and set locations... then you can jump with a single click.

Bob L
    Yes, I've used both features in the past (a lot more than the go-to trick, actually) when I've needed to repeatedly visit the same locations. I use the go-to thing strictly for one-off tasks. It's nice to have different options that suit particular needs.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by rEs View Post
    the user could create strategically-named Regions in a dedicated Track (a 'Marker' track) and Tab to them via the Regions List or Tab / Tab+Shift on the 'Marker' Track. plus, you can relocate the Track where you like in the MultiTrack.

also, one could use the Midi WorkShop timeline as a 'marker' Track, also by Tabbing to strategically-placed and strategically-colored Midi notes.
    And why would we do this, exactly?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Yes, I've used both features in the past (a lot more than the go-to trick, actually) when I've needed to repeatedly visit the same locations. I use the go-to thing strictly for one-off tasks. It's nice to have different options that suit particular needs.
    Dave, I often slide all over the multi-track quickly simply Locate marking the last two or three points needed to work with (for replace/copy/paste,etc), by simply marking those in the "Quick mark" (L1, L2, L3, L4) locations. For instance, when I find something in the timeline that needs replacing... Shift Click L1, then when I see what area I want to copy from I press Shift Click L2. Then replacing/editing is as simple as Click L1 or L2 or L3 or L4 ... back and forth - very fast. (would be even faster with suggestion below)

I've suggested to Bob a feature that the Locate Points could be "Track Sensitive" (as well as Time Sensitive), which would great increase productivity (for me). Most of what I'm editing/replacing involves regions on different tracks at different timeline points, and having a "Track Sensitive" Locate option would allow me to quickly locate the exact time/region/track points for quickly pinpointing specific edits. This would save a lot of F-Key changes/zooming/track changing each edit.... hughe time saver.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Carl, try using the Control Track View Cue Location option for your track locate needs... you can label the Cue Location points and include track info in the label.

Bob L