Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default OT: F-Keys Views and Keyboard Gymnastics

Good day,

Over the past few days, I have been in the process of upgrading both SAC and SAW to 64-bit. As this process can take a substantial period of time, I began to see the importance of the use of provocative F-Key views. This then led to just how one might actually use their computer keyboard.

As a result, I have completed the following document, which might be of benefit to some: F-Keys Views and Keyboard Gymnastics

For those that do peruse this document, I would very much appreciate your comments.

I also hope that we all will really come to appreciate the incredible benefits of the use of the 24 F-Key views that Bob has provided - and that are potentially available to us!

Default Re: OT: F-Keys Views and Keyboard Gymnastics

I enjoyed that, Dell. One term that a former co-worker of mine used to describe me (after two long pauses with her eyes pointed at her forehead while searching for a more politic term than the one that immediately came to her mind) was 'thorough'. But, I knew she meant 'annoyingly obsessive'. Well - I say: "Too bad". If it weren't for OCD there would be no software.

Over the decades, Windows has collected a larger and larger list of keyboard shortcuts. I periodically encounter ones that are unknown to me by accident when I fat finger a combination while typing and instead of getting text - something completely unexpected happens. Here's a page that has a pretty definitive list of them for several OSs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_...oard_shortcuts

Of those, my goto list, that are not already a subset of yours, is:

ctrl-R arrow: go to the beginning of the next word
    ctrl-L arrow: go to the previous word
    ctrl-shift-R arrow: highlight (un-highlight) the next word
    ctrl-shift-L arrow: highlight (un-highlight) the previous word
    ctrl-end: go to the end of the document
    ctrl-home: to to the beginning of the document
    shift-end: highlight from current position to the end of the line
    shift-home: highlight from the current position to the beginning of the line
    ctrl-shift-end: highlight from the current position to the end of the document
    ctrl-shift-home: highlight from the current position to the beginning of the document
    shift-Dn arrow: highlight from the current position to the same position on the next line
    shift-Up arrow: highlight from the current position to the same position on the prev line
    ctrl-Ins: copy the highlighted text to the clipboard
    shift-Ins: paste the contents of the clipboard the current position of the document
    alt+(numeric pad numbers): create a character by its ASCII number
    ctrl-TAB: go to the previous window
    ctrl-shift-TAB: go to the next window

ctrl-Ins and shift-Ins have passed out of favor over the years and don't work anymore in some applications (like this one...).

I used these constantly for thirty years, as a lazy (yet ostensibly thorough...) database programmer who hated to re-type code. As someone whose keyboard habits pre-date the AT keyboard, I still (without looking) use the numeric keypad with num-lock turned off for up, down, left, right, home, pg-up, pg-dn, ins, and end in spite of the existence of those clumsy and unfortunate new-fangled duplicate keys in between.

Great observations and thanks for the file. There are a lot more short cuts available besides the F keys. So don't overlook them. I had SAC set up in a church. I could run the AV system with my right hand and mix with my left using nothing but the keyboard.

Blog Entries

Good day,

Some good points there John. I had completely forgotten about [ctrl-Ins] and [shift-Ins] - indeed these can be handy at times.

And Dale, your statement, "There are a lot more short cuts available besides the F keys. So don't overlook them" is indeed true and worthy of note. See here as an example: [click_me]
    Note: This one is for SAC..someone ought to do one for SAW.

I have updated the text ...: F-Keys Views and Keyboard Gymnastics