Close

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: PreSonus StudioLive Series III

Here's the message I get when trying to play .wav with StudioLive Series III Asio protocol enabled... and then with both 24bit WDM and StudioLive Series III Asio protocol enabled

Name:  driver05.png
Views: 310
Size:  11.5 KB

Also, when I try to play a .wav with the Standard Multimedia driver and StudioLive 16 (as seen in previous post image #1) selected for Device out, SAW plays it but there's no audio to be heard.
    Last edited by Kent F; 03-15-2019 at 04:34 PM.
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Quote Originally Posted by Kent F View Post
    Here's what I'm seeing when Standard, Hi Performance, and 24BIT WDM Multimedia drivers are selected:

Attachment 2930

Here's what I'm seeing when click on Audio Driver Model and Select Asio Protocol:

Attachment 2932

Here's what I'm seeing when click on Audio Driver Model, Select Asio Protocol then Select StudioLive Series III Asio:

Attachment 2933

Attachment 2934

I'll post pic of message I get when trying to play a .wav in SAW
    I'm stumped.
    That looks like it should be happy and work. Thanks again for your sleuthing efforts Kent.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Glad to help where I can. And yes, it looks like it should work... and again, it did briefly. I wonder if somehow the necessary driver resources to make it happen are getting tied up somehow, but were "free" in that moment. I'm not a techie so I can only speculate... and am probably not even close.

Maybe someone else along the way will be able to shed light on what's happening... and then maybe a solution. It's a great board. And of course we're here and talking about this because of how powerful and sensible SAW is to use. Regardless of success with interfaces, SAW is my editor.

Kent
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Quote Originally Posted by Kent F View Post
    Glad to help where I can. And yes, it looks like it should work... and again, it did briefly. I wonder if somehow the necessary driver resources to make it happen are getting tied up somehow, but were "free" in that moment. I'm not a techie so I can only speculate... and am probably not even close.

Maybe someone else along the way will be able to shed light on what's happening... and then maybe a solution. It's a great board. And of course we're here and talking about this because of how powerful and sensible SAW is to use. Regardless of success with interfaces, SAW is my editor.

Kent
    I agree with you Kent; SAWStudio is THE software.
    But I don't think the "tied up" driver resource theory is what's happening. Whatever, it is frustrating not to know unequivocally that the mixer will work. As I said, I can't return the unit if I buy it from my nearest dealer, who has been a steadfast promoter of my business. The board is on sale until the end of the month ($2299.95 from my dealer for the 32 input version), so I hope to get this figured out soon.
    You've been immensely helpful Kent... until you tried, I had no way of knowing that the audio would go either way, and would have given up on the purchase. PreSonus has not been helpful, but thanks to you I at least know audio is getting IN to the computer.
    So, many thanks for your efforts.
    Last edited by Richard Rupert; 03-16-2019 at 08:05 AM.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Richard, is there a reason for not wanting to move to a software solution?

you already own SAW and SAC, all you'd need are the preamps and computer interface.

If your considering the PreSonus your already moving to a digital console with latency.

SAC as a software only solution is far more capable then the PreSonus board in every aspect except the physical faders and even that is pretty easy to mitigate with a small control surface.

The least expensive route would be 4 behringer ada8200's and an RME RayDAT card (should cost about $1400, easily less than $1000 if you buy second hand).

If you go to something like the MOTU 8M series stuff you can run USB which will support up to 64 channels In/Out.

My live rig is 32 in/32 out. I record on this all the time. Its dead simple to fire up SAW studio. My default settings already have SAC link engaged. Just launch SAC and then SAW Studio Arm channels and I'm ready to record.

I just made the switch to the MOTU 8M boxes on my live rig in order to have AVB support to use as a digital split. This makes it so I don't have to use our hardware splitter when we do shows where FOH is supplied. Just plug everything in as we normally do, and I can give a fully buffered split to the FOH, no mic splitter required.

I'm still currently running the RayDAT card as the interface to the computer, but have a parallel AVB network running to supply FOH or other feeds as needed. I'm currently exploring Thunderbolt options as an alternative to the RME card, but I won't make that jump until I deploy my new motherboard with Win10.

Latency in to out is just shy of 6.5ms. If I move to USB or Thunderbolt I believe I can get that number down under 4ms. Nobody has ever complained or had any concerns about that delay. I run my system at 48kHz and 1x64 buffer size. System resources run around 22%. Thats 32 active channels in and out, Stereo two-way FOH and 5-7 stereo Monitor Mixes.

In the Studio I'm running a similar ADAT setup with a pair of RME 9652 cards and a mix of preamps (mostly MOTU at this point), but I was using Mackie and Behringer in previous configurations.

Name:  IMG_2513.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  98.6 KB
    Last edited by cgrafx; 03-15-2019 at 10:06 PM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    I had tried a Focusrite USB interface that would NOT connect to SAW or SAC. With Bob's help, I determined that the ASIO driver was not the correct format. So I'm a bit skittish about assuming the Series III will work.
    Makes sense.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Richard, is there a reason for not wanting to move to a software solution?

you already own SAW and SAC, all you'd need are the preamps and computer interface.
    Yes, as I mentioned somewhere back in this thread, I do have both softwares and a few old ADA8000s and a 3M monitor. (I have been at the studio and live mix game a long time and have never divested myself of any "leftover gear", so have a lot lying around ). I had fully intended to go the SAW/SAC route in the studio, and have "fooled around" with the setup, even running a couple of faux sessions to see how it would go. The problem is, I found the monitor navigation functions to be... let's say not "dependable". I would get unexpected actions from finger motions. And I practiced in the house for some time with the monitor to get the motions correct. I just felt uncomfortable with it.
    If your considering the PreSonus your already moving to a digital console with latency.
    That's something I hadn't considered.

SAC as a software only solution is far more capable then the PreSonus board in every aspect except the physical faders and even that is pretty easy to mitigate with a small control surface.
    To be honest, I'm not a fan of the layer methodology of accessing higher track counts. I rarely need more than 32 tracks, and never more than 50 (I know... but if that's what the producer wants, that's what (s)he gets <LOL>), so the StudioLive 32 looked like a reasonable solution.

The least expensive route would be 4 behringer ada8200's and an RME RayDAT card (should cost about $1400, easily less than $1000 if you buy second hand).

If you go to something like the MOTU 8M series stuff you can run USB which will support up to 64 channels In/Out.

My live rig is 32 in/32 out. I record on this all the time. Its dead simple to fire up SAW studio. My default settings already have SAC link engaged. Just launch SAC and then SAW Studio Arm channels and I'm ready to record.

I just made the switch to the MOTU 8M boxes on my live rig in order to have AVB support to use as a digital split. This makes it so I don't have to use our hardware splitter when we do shows where FOH is supplied. Just plug everything in as we normally do, and I can give a fully buffered split to the FOH, no mic splitter required.

I'm still currently running the RayDAT card as the interface to the computer, but have a parallel AVB network running to supply FOH or other feeds as needed.
    These are all good suggestions, but as I said above, I have all the necessary hardware and software.

I'm currently exploring Thunderbolt options as an alternative to the RME card, but I won't make that jump until I deploy my new motherboard with Win10.
    I will be very interested in reading how you make out with that setup. I'm due for a new computer at the very least (mine is 10 years old and 32 bit).

Latency in to out is just shy of 6.5ms. If I move to USB or Thunderbolt I believe I can get that number down under 4ms. Nobody has ever complained or had any concerns about that delay. I run my system at 48kHz and 1x64 buffer size. System resources run around 22%. Thats 32 active channels in and out, Stereo two-way FOH and 5-7 stereo Monitor Mixes.
    Very impressive.

In the Studio I'm running a similar ADAT setup with a pair of RME 9652 cards and a mix of preamps (mostly MOTU at this point), but I was using Mackie and Behringer in previous configurations.
    I also have an RME 9652 card in my house computer. Good devices for sure. Thanks for your informed input and suggestions. I suppose I may end up going the SAW/SAC route in the end.

Good looking live rig, by the way!!!
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Yes, as I mentioned somewhere back in this thread, I do have both softwares and a few old ADA8000s and a 3M monitor. (I have been at the studio and live mix game a long time and have never divested myself of any "leftover gear", so have a lot lying around ). I had fully intended to go the SAW/SAC route in the studio, and have "fooled around" with the setup, even running a couple of faux sessions to see how it would go. The problem is, I found the monitor navigation functions to be... let's say not "dependable". I would get unexpected actions from finger motions. And I practiced in the house for some time with the monitor to get the motions correct. I just felt uncomfortable with it.
    That's something I hadn't considered.

... I suppose I may end up going the SAW/SAC route in the end.
    Sounds like the obstacle here is the touch monitor and not necessarily the SAW/SAC combination.
    Operation is smooth as silk, using keyboard and mouse... even just keyboard much of the time.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the layer methodology of accessing higher track counts. I rarely need more than 32 tracks, and never more than 50 (I know... but if that's what the producer wants, that's what (s)he gets <LOL>), so the StudioLive 32 looked like a reasonable solution.
    Richard, I'm curious. How does the StudioLive avoid the layer approach to that many inputs or tracks?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Richard, I'm curious. How does the StudioLive avoid the layer approach to that many inputs or tracks?
    StudioLive 32 Series III has 32 input faders and a master fader. You can route things all over the place to create subgroups and set up DCA control... it's a pretty flexible device. I'm not saying SAC is "weaker" or more limited in ANY way other than the multi-fader use clumsiness I experienced with the 3M monitor.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording