Close

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: PreSonus StudioLive Series III

How many PC driver outputs pairs appear for that mixer? Other digital mixers I've seen have had an abundance. There may be a routing table to populate on the mixer (on the Berringer I am currently using, you can route any input to any channel) - or it could be arriving to the mixer and you just don't know how to make it audible (on that same mixer, the channels switch between USB return or analog input). Anyway I would be surprised (but not totally) if one half works and the other doesn't.

It has been my experience that the more features a device has, the more time you must spend with the manual...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    You are probably correct in these conclusions Dell... particularly at this point in time. But since my originally posited question was "
    Has anyone used the StudioLIve Series III with SAWStudio as a record/mix USB interface? If so, how well does it work? (Is the PreSonus USB protocol compatible with SAW?)", I'll be happy if I can get audio in and out of the mixer via USB on all 32 channels as indicated in their literature. I haven't bought the mixer as of yet.
    Can we all agree it would be/is very surprising if/that any USB mixer doesn't work with SAWStudio as a USB audio interface?

Richard, it's always an option to buy it and send it back if it doesn't work for you. Is the return shipping cost worth the risk? Your call, of course.

FWIW, I have had the problem of multichannel audio not working via MME for a USB mixer (only got a single stereo pair, due to the way SAWPro was coded), but ASIO was fine for multichannel, IIRC.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 03-15-2019 at 06:17 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    Anyway I would be surprised (but not totally) if one half works and the other doesn't.
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record: I would be surprised if full multi-channel audio in both directions didn't work between any USB mixer and SAWStudio. Like the man said, if both are class compiant...
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

How many PC driver outputs pairs appear for that mixer? Other digital mixers I've seen have had an abundance. There may be a routing table to populate on the mixer (on the Berringer I am currently using, you can route any input to any channel) - or it could be arriving to the mixer and you just don't know how to make it audible (on that same mixer, the channels switch between USB return or analog input). Anyway I would be surprised (but not totally) if one half works and the other doesn't.
    I've checked the routing table and each USB channel is routed to it's corresponding input channel on the board. Configurable, of course. I have had no issues using the mixer as an interface with this CD project using the native software "Capture"... going both ways... using both the analog inputs on each channel of the mixer for recording, and switching them over to USB inputs when playing back from Capture. The issue is getting the mixer to receive from SAW.

It has been my experience that the more features a device has, the more time you must spend with the manual...
    - Yes, that's very true! Here is a link for instructions on setting up the mixer with different DAWs. Wishing for instructions for SAW. https://www.soundpro.com/catalog/documents/18402_2.pdf - See pg 8 on the document.

I dug in last night trying to get the mixer to receive from SAW... working with the audio device setup and driver protocol. No success. Tried every possible config multiple times. But then... well, I hesitate to say this, because I don't know why this happened, but for one time I was actually able to hear and see that the mixer was receiving data from SAW. I immediately went to the file menu/preferences and saved Default settings. Next time I opened SAW it didn't work. What?!? I then spent quite a bit of time trying to replicate the setup. No success. There are only so many options and configurations. Why would connecting be so ellusive, then work briefly... save settings and fail to work again? Again, the board has no problems going back and forth to DAW via "Capture".

We got the mixer with the mindset Dave mentioned. We arranged with our Equipment sales guy a plan to try it out and the freedom to return if it didn't work out. He was generous with the return window. The mixer has been great for what we use it for... Live on stage and now recording a project direct to computer via Capture. It's a keeper.
    Last edited by Kent F; 03-15-2019 at 08:08 AM.
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Quote Originally Posted by Kent F View Post
    Hey Richard-
    Just a quick update. I am seeing StudioLive 16 in my audio driver options but had no success connecting SAW with it... until tonight. I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it but digging deeper I have successfully recorded into SAW via USB from the mixer. I haven't been able to establish the connection the other way. I am monitoring the recorded audio through the computer. So, I can say definitively that you can record to SAW from Series iii via USB. I don't know how many channels, etc. But I got it working and just messing around it sounded fine.

For context... the work I do involves remote recording so I use a Tascam portable and bring the audio into SAW via SD card. Haven't used an interface for recording in my workflow... so I'm a novice at setting things up. My computer monitoring though I have decent monitors leaves a lot to be desired. I'm in the market for a small quality interface that I can monitor with. Anyway, that should help explain why I'm not very in tune with using the Presonus as an interface. When I say I've tried everything I can think of, it's with minimal time and experience in view.

I would say that there's hope for some level of integration.

Here are some links that may be helpful.

https://answers.presonus.com/36584/s...-daws-well-so4
    https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopi...123700#p123700
    https://answers.presonus.com/25531/s...einberg-cubase

Hope this helps.
    Kent
    Hi Kent,
    THANK YOU for going to the effort to check this out. It's very helpful, though odd... I would think that if USB takes signal one way it would send it the other as well.

The music store owner I'm dealing with contacted his rep who then went to PreSonus tech support and asked if SAWStudio could be expected to "see" the mixer as an audio device. I had given him (from Bob Lentini) the specific requirements for an ASIO driver. All I found out was that the mixer could not be used as a controller, and if SAWStudio "sees" the mixer it will work as an interface. Well, I already KNOW that. I just needed to know if the drivers matched the specs that Bob gave me. Sigh.

At any rate, as you say "There's hope" for this functioning. Happy to hear it's a least going one way. I'm not convinced enough to plunk down 2.5 grand yet, but it still looks like it might be in the running. Thank you for the links as well. I truly appreciate it.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Can we all agree it would be/is very surprising if/that any USB mixer doesn't work with SAWStudio as a USB audio interface?
    I had tried a Focusrite USB interface that would NOT connect to SAW or SAC. With Bob's help, I determined that the ASIO driver was not the correct format. So I'm a bit skittish about assuming the Series III will work.

Richard, it's always an option to buy it and send it back if it doesn't work for you. Is the return shipping cost worth the risk? Your call, of course.
    My "local" PreSonus dealer (who's 30 miles away)
    has been very good to me in the past, so I'd like to stay with him... he sends clients to my studio, and always gives me as good a price as any other vendor. And I think it's always good to buy local if you can. So you can understand my desire to support him as he does me. He
    isn't big enough to stock mixers, and he can't take it back since his market is also small and he couldn't re-sell it, so if I jump for this mixer it's mine with no chance to return it.

FWIW, I have had the problem of multichannel audio not working via MME for a USB mixer (only got a single stereo pair, due to the way SAWPro was coded), but ASIO was fine for multichannel, IIRC.
    Yes, I understand that. Thanks for your input.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

I've checked the routing table and each USB channel is routed to it's corresponding input channel on the board. Configurable, of course. I have had no issues using the mixer as an interface with this CD project using the native software "Capture"... going both ways... using both the analog inputs on each channel of the mixer for recording, and switching them over to USB inputs when playing back from Capture. The issue is getting the mixer to receive from SAW.
    As I mentioned before, it's odd that it wouldn't go both ways once the device is "seen" by the software. That truly is frustrating.

- Yes, that's very true! Here is a link for instructions on setting up the mixer with different DAWs. Wishing for instructions for SAW. https://www.soundpro.com/catalog/documents/18402_2.pdf - See pg 8 on the document.
    I dug in last night trying to get the mixer to receive from SAW... working with the audio device setup and driver protocol. No success. Tried every possible config multiple times. But then... well, I hesitate to say this, because I don't know why this happened, but for one time I was actually able to hear and see that the mixer was receiving data from SAW. I immediately went to the file menu/preferences and saved Default settings. Next time I opened SAW it didn't work. What?!? I then spent quite a bit of time trying to replicate the setup. No success. There are only so many options and configurations. Why would connecting be so ellusive, then work briefly... save settings and fail to work again? Again, the board has no problems going back and forth to DAW via "Capture".
    Now it's getting curiouser and curiouser!! I agree; why once and not EVERY time? But the fact that it worked once really has my juices flowing!!! How is the mixer listed in the DRIVER MODEL/ASIO PROTOCOL? Does it actually say "PreSonus" or some such thing that identifies it as the mixer?

We got the mixer with the mindset Dave mentioned. We arranged with our Equipment sales guy a plan to try it out and the freedom to return if it didn't work out. He was generous with the return window. The mixer has been great for what we use it for... Live on stage and now recording a project direct to computer via Capture. It's a keeper.
    I wish that were an option for me (explained in another post). THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR VALUABLE INPUT, KENT.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

I've checked the routing table and each USB channel is routed to it's corresponding input channel on the board. Configurable, of course. I have had no issues using the mixer as an interface with this CD project using the native software "Capture"... going both ways... using both the analog inputs on each channel of the mixer for recording, and switching them over to USB inputs when playing back from Capture. The issue is getting the mixer to receive from SAW..
    Kent,

Is it possible that capture is sending back the audio mix on an auxiliary audio driver pair?

...or is it sending it back to the board on individual channels?

Kent,

Is it possible that capture is sending back the audio mix on an auxiliary audio driver pair?

...or is it sending it back to the board on individual channels?
    In our sessions thus far I am controlling up to 8 or so channels at once from Capture back and forth from the mixer. In the Digital Patching the "USB Sends" page allows each USB channel to be assigned to many different sources (including 32ins, the auxs, etc). Default setting is as you would expect it to be. Channel 1 to USB 1, Channel to USB 2...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    How is the mixer listed in the DRIVER MODEL/ASIO PROTOCOL? Does it actually say "PreSonus" or some such thing that identifies it as the mixer?
    Here's what I'm seeing when Standard, Hi Performance, and 24BIT WDM Multimedia drivers are selected:

Name:  driver01.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  20.4 KB

Here's what I'm seeing when click on Audio Driver Model and Select Asio Protocol:

Name:  driver02.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  12.0 KB

Here's what I'm seeing when click on Audio Driver Model, Select Asio Protocol then Select StudioLive Series III Asio:

Name:  driver03.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  21.9 KB

Name:  driver04.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  20.4 KB

I'll post pic of message I get when trying to play a .wav in SAW
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kent F; 03-15-2019 at 04:30 PM.