Close

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Default Re: PreSonus StudioLive Series III

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    Sounds like the obstacle here is the touch monitor and not necessarily the SAW/SAC combination.
    Operation is smooth as silk, using keyboard and mouse... even just keyboard much of the time.
    Well, yes that's true. But be aware that this is a commercial facility and there's a little "wow" factor that comes into the mix. A board with blinking lights all over the place DOES have some cache. But really, that's not the only reason I'm looking at a hardware interface with faders, as I hope I've expressed in the previous posts. I do agree that SAW and SAC are great together.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    StudioLive 32 Series III has 32 input faders and a master fader. You can route things all over the place to create subgroups and set up DCA control... it's a pretty flexible device. I'm not saying SAC is "weaker" or more limited in ANY way other than the multi-fader use clumsiness I experienced with the 3M monitor.
    The week spot you were dealing with is the Touch Screen.

Its definitely nice to have the physical faders, but beyond that there is not much advantage.

StudioLive is still based on single mix architecture. Monitor mixes are handled as Aux Sends or possibly matrixes.

SAC is based on a Multi mix architecture (25 completely independent mixing consoles).

I'm also pretty sure your limited to the built in effects on the board, so unlike SAW/SAC which both support VST plugins, your limited internally to what PreSonus provides as effects.

SAC lets you add an effect to a single channel, or group(s) (bussed on an AUX sends) and can be routed individually to a single mixer or passed through to 1 or more other mixers.

Its just a much more flexible architecture.

However, if you don't use that additional functionality than it won't make any difference.

Keep in mind later versions of SAC have a much improved touch interface (use the specific touch controls), but based on what you have described you might be better served by a physical control surface rather than the touch screen.

Again its pretty simple to setup 8-16 channels of physical faders. The Behringer x-touch extenders are perfect for this and less than $300 each.

Since you actually already have pretty much everything you need to make this work now, maybe its worth spending time re-testing SAC/SAW but without the 3M monitor.

I did a lot of research before I jumped on the SAW Studio band wagon and one of the things that I really liked, aside from the sonic quality, was the idea that it was a virtual version of a real console and multi-track recorder. (Full channel strips without having to load EQ, Compressors, Gates, etc, etc).

SAC carried that design into the Live Mixing space and the two in combination have been tremendously effective for both live and studio use.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 03-16-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    The week spot you were dealing with is the Touch Screen.
    I agree.

Its definitely nice to have the physical faders, but beyond that there is not much advantage.
    Hey, you forgot the blinking lights <LOL>

StudioLive is still based on single mix architecture. Monitor mixes are handled as Aux Sends or possibly matrixes.
    SAC is based on a Multi mix architecture (25 completely independent mixing consoles).
    Correct. I am quite familiar with the functionality of SAC, and I have the latest version.

I'm also pretty sure your limited to the built in effects on the board, so unlike SAW/SAC which both support VST plugins, your limited internally to what PreSonus provides as effects.
    That is correct. But since I'm using this in a studio environment, once that audio is captured into SAW I can add whatever I desire to the returned audio.

SAC lets you add an effect to a single channel, or group(s) (bussed on an AUX sends) and can be routed individually to a single mixer or passed through to 1 or more other mixers. Its just a much more flexible architecture.
    I'm not arguing, believe me.

However, if you don't use that additional functionality than it won't make any difference.
    I don't see that it's a terrific advantage in basic tracking, and as I said above, I'd have access to whatever SAW offers (and as you know, it's a lot) during the overdubbing/mixing stages.

Keep in mind later versions of SAC have a much improved touch interface (use the specific touch controls), but based on what you have described you might be better served by a physical control surface rather than the touch screen.
    And again, some of this is because I have clients who like to stick their fingers in the pie too. They don't relate to grabbing a mouse to make a change.

Again its pretty simple to setup 8-16 channels of physical faders. The Behringer x-touch extenders are perfect for this and less than $300 each.
    My analog console has 24 inputs, and I'd rather not have fewer... 32 would be ideal. Maybe four X-Touches would serve me, I'll have to look into it. But then I'd have $1200 (half of the StudioLive price) in faders with no compression per channel, e.q. or interface. Granted I have those things now, but could eliminate a lot of hardware it the StudioLive would function simply as an input and playback with separate headphone output device.

Since you actually already have pretty much everything you need to make this work now, maybe its worth spending time re-testing SAC/SAW but without the 3M monitor.
    You make a very good point there, Phillip. If I don't get this quest behind me pretty soon, that's what I'll do. But I was hoping to resolve all this before the sale is no longer offered by PreSonus.

I did a lot of research before I jumped on the SAW Studio band wagon and one of the things that I really liked, aside from the sonic quality, was the idea that it was a virtual version of a real console and multi-track recorder. (Full channel strips without having to load EQ, Compressors, Gates, etc, etc).
    I do like those aspects as well, and have used Bob's software exclusively since 1995.

SAC carried that design into the Live Mixing space and the two in combination have been tremendously effective for both live and studio use.
    I promise: I'll give it another try. Of course, I am definitely staying with SAW... I was just trying to find an interface with faders and headphone routing for tracking and overdubs. Thanks for posting.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

I agree.

Hey, you forgot the blinking lights <LOL>
    Blinking lights are cool

My analog console has 24 inputs, and I'd rather not have fewer... 32 would be ideal. Maybe four X-Touches would serve me, I'll have to look into it. But then I'd have $1200 (half of the StudioLive price) in faders with no compression per channel, e.q. or interface. Granted I have those things now, but could eliminate a lot of hardware it the StudioLive would function simply as an input and playback with separate headphone output device.
    When you work with the control surface it doesn't have to be a 1-to-1 mapping because the control surface chases with the selected channels.

8 channels of faders can be used very effectively when setup properly.

16 channels means a bit less hopping around, and more Blinky lights
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

cgrafx,
    16 channels means a bit less hopping around, and more Blinky lights
    ...It would seem that Alan Richardson makes his way around quite well...[click_me]

PS: I must admit, that I do find it interesting that this posting was originally started by Richard!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kent F View Post
    Glad to help where I can. And yes, it looks like it should work... and again, it did briefly. I wonder if somehow the necessary driver resources to make it happen are getting tied up somehow, but were "free" in that moment. I'm not a techie so I can only speculate... and am probably not even close.

Maybe someone else along the way will be able to shed light on what's happening... and then maybe a solution. It's a great board. And of course we're here and talking about this because of how powerful and sensible SAW is to use. Regardless of success with interfaces, SAW is my editor.

Kent
    Hi Kent,
    I have been in touch with Bob about this issue, and without benefit of his owning a StudioLive, he can't make much headway. He did tell me however, that with the screenshots you posted it would be likely that this can work, and he would walk me through the process to get it to happen if I call him. But, since I don't have one of the mixers either we're back at the start point. So IF, AND ONLY IF you're still curious about this and would want to try again, you could call Bob and he'll tell you what buttons to push. His phone number is on the website here: http://www.sawstudio.com/contact.php No pressure Kent... I certainly don't expect you to want to follow up on this, but if you do I obviously would be extremely interested in your results.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Just got off the phone with Bob. Good news! He was able to troubleshoot over the phone. Presonus Asio driver must be selected and SAW sample rate must match Presonus clock. StudioLive Series III works going both directions... recording and playback.
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Quote Originally Posted by Kent F View Post
    Just got off the phone with Bob. Good news! He was able to troubleshoot over the phone. Presonus Asio driver must be selected and SAW sample rate must match Presonus clock. StudioLive Series III works going both directions... recording and playback.
    It's 9 am here. Do we think there are already dents in the music store's door?

I've been completely in the box for a number of years, so I hear the SAC/SAW camp very clearly.

Richard's point about clients' perceptions of what a recording studio should look like is real. And if some of those clients want to grab a fader or an EQ knob now and then, that puts two thumbs on the scale.

Richard, please keep the story going through the first client session, either way.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Richard,

I guess this whole discussion could have been greatly simplified by asking the question, "Can the PreSonus StudioLive Series III be used as a control surface?" Apparently not ... yet!

However, it would appear that PreSonus does have plans to implement this functionality in the future. See here: StudioLive Series III DAW Mode Update

Here is the gist, "MCU and HUI DAW Control Mode for the StudioLive Series III Console mixers is currently in development. It will be supported in a future firmware update."

The question now is, "When?" Also, being a firmware update however, would suggest that this update would be "free".
    I'm late to the party on this, but as I've been using Presonus Studio One since I stopped using SAW, I've kept a close eye on Presonus and their control surfaces.

Don't believe anything they promise to do. Only buy for what it does NOW.

If it doesn't do it now, assume that it won't. They orphan products on a regular basis. The CS18Ai is a classic example. The firmware never worked well and it certainly never got the Studio One DAW control functionality which was promised early on. Have a look over on the Presonus boards if you need proof. You'll also notice that the forums are run by non-Presonus staff. Presonus almost never turn up and when they do it usually ain't pretty.

Dominic

Blog Entries

Dominic,

I would never purchase a PreSonus product again! I have had similar issues. Great sales - absolutely horrible service.

I wish all companies were like RME! Actually - this one is!