Close

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Default Re: PreSonus StudioLive Series III

Quote Originally Posted by Kent F View Post
    Just got off the phone with Bob. Good news! He was able to troubleshoot over the phone. Presonus Asio driver must be selected and SAW sample rate must match Presonus clock. StudioLive Series III works going both directions... recording and playback.
    Well now, that IS good news. Thanks for following up on that Kent... I owe you a debt of gratitude!! Now if the Mackie emulation would allow any kind of transport control over SAW, that would be great. Again, it's not a game killer for me, but it seems like a possibility, as Bob has made a lot of templates.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    It's 9 am here. Do we think there are already dents in the music store's door?

I've been completely in the box for a number of years, so I hear the SAC/SAW camp very clearly.

Richard's point about clients' perceptions of what a recording studio should look like is real. And if some of those clients want to grab a fader or an EQ knob now and then, that puts two thumbs on the scale.

Richard, please keep the story going through the first client session, either way.
    I will, Ian. Still haven't made the decision yet (I'm very slow at such things <G>). I'm disappointed by reports of bad service from PreSonus by Dell and Dominic.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Well, just so you all know, I decided to order the board just moments ago. I'm sure there will be a fairly steep learning curve, but I like to learn new things, so look forward to it.

Worst case scenario would be that I use the mixer as a USB interface and work with SAC/SAW combination after inputting the basic tracks. Who knows? Lots of options at this point.
    I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks to all for the replies and input, and a special thanks to Kent F. for contacting Bob and getting the interface to work in both directions.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Hi Richard. I can't account for the experiences of others but this is my third Presonus unit and I have been happy with each one. I have had to contact support (albeit online) and was personally satisfied with the responses. The user forum is active and - I think - helpful... and there's plenty of other online resources as well. I do agree that we need to be careful. Purchasing on promises and expectations of future features and support is risky. As long as you know what it can do now and you're satisfied with that, you'll be fine. Anything else is bonus, right! They've got a solid user base and loyal customers... and they don't seem to be tanking. Again, I don't discount the negative experiences others have had. It's just not been my experience. I really like this mixer. It hasn't disappointed me. Still have lots to learn, and your thread has provided opportunity to do just that. Hats off to Bob. He really knows his stuff and wants things to go well for his customers. The more devices that are compatible with SAW and SAC, the more everyone wins. Glad he was willing to take the time to personally walk us through this. There's much other companies can and should learn from him... not just in developing great tools, but in taking interest in his clients.

Enjoy the mixer... and the lights!
    Kent
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Quote Originally Posted by Kent F View Post
    <SNIP>
    Enjoy the mixer... and the lights!
    Kent
    Hahaha... absolutely - it's ALL about the lights. And I agree with you regarding your comments about Bob... we're lucky to have a guy who is willing to help even if it's not specifically a problem with his software. Who else posts their personal phone number on the company website???
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

I'm a couple of days deep into this mixer, and the more time I spend with it the more impressed I am. It's well constructed and logically thought out. It's more flexible than the Cirque du Soliel. There are many things I've figured out without benefit of reading the manuals, and many things that still escape me.

But the bottom line is: no buyer's remorse I have it set up in our living room generating all kinds of wires and junk around. Kudos to my wife!!! When I feel comfortable, I'll pull the old console out of the studio and put this one in. I'll need to build some sort of table for it first, with stands for monitors and space for producers to pile all their notes, briefcases and snacks. It will be a couple of weeks most likely, even if things go well. I'll keep everyone in the loop. Questions welcome. No guarantees I'll have any answers, but will be happy to try.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    I'm a couple of days deep into this mixer, and the more time I spend with it the more impressed I am. It's well constructed and logically thought out. It's more flexible than the Cirque du Soliel. There are many things I've figured out without benefit of reading the manuals, and many things that still escape me.

But the bottom line is: no buyer's remorse I have it set up in our living room generating all kinds of wires and junk around. Kudos to my wife!!! When I feel comfortable, I'll pull the old console out of the studio and put this one in. I'll need to build some sort of table for it first, with stands for monitors and space for producers to pile all their notes, briefcases and snacks. It will be a couple of weeks most likely, even if things go well. I'll keep everyone in the loop. Questions welcome. No guarantees I'll have any answers, but will be happy to try.
    Always great when things work out better than expected. Although new equipment somehow always ends up creating more work somehow.

For me switching from the Behringer ADA8200s to the MOTU 8M preamps meant having to completely rewire my rack. Took me almost 2 years from when I initially started the process, before finally pulling the trigger and committing to the change.

On the plus side, the rack is actually better organized and I had to bite the bullet and add multi-pin connectors to my snakes.

Hopefully you'll have the same satisfaction from swapping out the new mixer in your studio.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 03-27-2019 at 07:24 PM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Richard,

If you have not started yet, and you do not use any type of drafting/design software, and prefer to do a drawing prior to a build, try MS Publisher.

I have used MS Publisher for all of my builds and have even impressed the head builder at Castor-Case Solutions where I had my last case built.

If you would like to know more ... just let me know?

Other than that, I am glad you got everything working for you!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Richard,

If you have not started yet, and you do not use any type of drafting/design software, and prefer to do a drawing prior to a build, try MS Publisher.

I have used MS Publisher for all of my builds and have even impressed the head builder at Castor-Case Solutions where I had my last case built.

If you would like to know more ... just let me know?

Other than that, I am glad you got everything working for you!
    That's a good thought, Dell. I think I have an old version of Publisher around here somewhere.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Always great when things work out better than expected. Although new equipment somehow always ends up creating more work somehow.

For me switching from the Behringer ADA8200s to the MOTU 8M preamps meant having to completely rewire my rack. Took me almost 2 years from when I initially started the process, before finally pulling the trigger and committing to the change.

On the plus side, the rack is actually better organized and I had to bite the bullet and add multi-pin connectors to my snakes.

Hopefully you'll have the same satisfaction from swapping out the new mixer in your studio.
    Hi Phillip,
    Not that it matters to me at this point, but I was wondering if the switch to MOTU from ADA8200s was sonically better. I still have a bunch of ADA8000's around that I used for live SAC use and never made the move to ADA8200s. I'm just curious if you could hear a difference, or if you changed for other reasons.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording