Close

Blog Entries

Default First Time Recording with SAWStudio

Good day,

Well after years of "puttin' it off" - I finally accomplished my first three-part recording using SAWStudio using overdubbed guitar parts. And what really surprised me, is just how simple it all was. It sort of reminded me of working with a Teac A-3440.

I recorded tracks 1-3 dry.
    Put ValhallaVerb on the output using the default preset with MIX at 15%, and mixed-down tracks 1-3 to track 4.
    Disabled the reverb, and added the IQS FadeOut - Live Feel 02 to the end of the track 4.
    Then I mixed-down track 4 to track 5.

What is really interesting, I used no EQ or compression at all - "dun't unnerstand comprehson anyhows" and I feel it came out sound pretty darn good!

Default Re: First Time Recording with SAWStudio

Congratulations! Dell...could never understand why you never attempted a recording before, after understanding SAC so well. SAW Studio I'm sure has the easiest workflow of any DAW out there.
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

3. Default Re: First Time Recording with SAWStudio

Quote Originally Posted by Danny O View Post
    Congratulations! Dell...could never understand why you never attempted a recording before, after understanding SAC so well. SAW Studio I'm sure has the easiest workflow of any DAW out there.
    I second that. I completely sold all my other DAWs, complicated plugins, and outboard gear, finally, and just only rely on SS and the native plugs along with the Anwida plugin bundles, and Sonoris. I love my Anwida Spazio, and MWS.

I use SAC and Sawstudio in the studio as standard practice whenever I am recording. They work seamlessly together IMHO

5. Default Re: First Time Recording with SAWStudio

Do you get better latency for audio recording when using SAC as the front end vs using SS alone with Input Tape style always on?

I record guitar and vocals with the Tape input on always so I can hear what I'm recording, and always have some kind of latency even when getting the buffers to go as low as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by andysharifi View Post
    Do you get better latency for audio recording when using SAC as the front end vs using SS alone with Input Tape style always on?

I record guitar and vocals with the Tape input on always so I can hear what I'm recording, and always have some kind of latency even when getting the buffers to go as low as possible.
    In my experience its actually easier to use SAC as the front end.

You setup SAC as your low-latency live mixing console for tracking, and use SAW Studio as the multitrack recorder and DAW mixing console.

When configured this way you don't have to worry about trying to run SAW Studio in a low-latency configuration.

You can select any SAC input as your source channel in SAW Studio for recording. In my configuration Playback is handled as a single input channel on the SAC console connected to OUTPUT 1 from the Saw Studio console.

It really is an incredibly elegant solution.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.