Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Win 10 graphics not snappy

Hello,

I no nothing of Bootcamp - but would you not go though the same driver installation processes using Bootcamp as would in a PC-based installation?

In checking out the install process, "Step 5: Install Windows support software, After installing Windows, install the support software, which includes Boot Camp drivers that support your Mac hardware." So, it would appear that Bootcamp handles the device drive installation? Correct/Incorrect?

Dell, the driver installation process is the same except for the fact that Apple provide one massive ‘bootcamp’ driver file download (“bootcamp support files” in Apple parlance) which contains all the latest drivers for all compatible Apple hardware.
    It is necessary to run this installer - when Windows first installs you do indeed get a generic video driver (with all the wrong resolutions etc) but on installing the bootcamp driver set you end up with the correct drivers - in my case the AMD Radeon M9 or similar. Likewise audio, Bluetooth, WiFi and other drivers (for example Thunderbolt) as applicable to the system concerned. These don’t get updated as often as many other drivers but they do from time to time.
    I have run SAW(32) in this Mac in the past under Win7 and there was no problem. It’s quite possible it’s an Apple-only issue, but it’s also possibly a Win10 issue - Bob’s dedicated graphics routines bypassed lots of the old Windows stuff - they may not be able to do that with Win10.
    Dominic

I would think after the initial boot camp install, Windows would take over driver updates, no?
    I personally would try and update the video driver, but that’s just me.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Blog Entries

Michael,

Unless someone says otherwise - it looks like Bootcamp takes of care of the entire driver install.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    I would think after the initial boot camp install, Windows would take over driver updates, no?
    I personally would try and update the video driver, but that***8217;s just me.
    I don't dabble in bootcamp on Mac but it's possible the video card is Apple specific and requires a specific driver to work under Windows. Maybe this isn't the case anymore...

The initial install, for sure. Subsequent updates-I an unsure about.
    In any Windows install, if I was having graphic issues, I would try a different driver.

When i was running Windows on a Mac, I added numerous drivers.

But, I get it if someone wants to leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Michael,

Unless someone says otherwise - it looks like Bootcamp takes of care of the entire driver install.
    Michael McInnis Productions

The AMD Radeon R9 M370X in this machine is specific to Apple in terms of its configuration, GPU speed etc. So only the Apple driver is appropriate.
    I'm not really looking to troubleshoot my setup. Its graphics are slower than it should be with SAW - there's nothing I can do to change that. I just don't want to drop a couple of grand on a new PC plus a SAW upgrade to discover that things are sluggish. No one else seems to be complaining, so it may be just the Mac, or it may be that not many people are using Win10. Just trying to find out.

Thanks for everyone's contributions so far.

Dominic

Dominic,

I have a 10 year old HP laptop that mess with in the house, and am running Windows 10 on it. It's a 64 bit machine, but I have only SAWStudio Full 32 bit, so this doesn't totally address your specific question, However, the F keys layouts change VERY fast. I loaded SAW on my wife's 7 year old Dell laptop with the same result. Still it could be 64 bit SAW, but I would think Bob would be all over that and notice it on his test machines.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Blog Entries

Richard,
    Still it could be 64 bit SAW, but I would think Bob would be all over that and notice it on his test machines.
    ... I can tell you for sure, that this anomaly does NOT occur with the 64-bit versions!

I was really hoping not have to get involved with Windows 10, but I had a corporate client of mine who needed to upgrade to Windows 10, so I "bit the bullet" and learnt as much as I could about Windows 10.

I obtained a good deal on six used Lenovo M93p's to replace their current systems and this give me the opportunity to install and re-install Windows 10 Pro until I got the OS to the point where I was somewhat satisfied.

This also provided me with the opportunity for testing our SAW/SAC 64-bit as well. I had previously tested the 32-bit version on Wind10, but I now had the opportunity of doing so with the 64-bit versions. In all honesty, I noticed no appreciable difference between WIN10 and WIN7. Other than the colours being different, being somewhat sharper with WIN10, I noticed no difference in overall usage. The system came with an add-on ATI video card, so I also removed the card to test WIN10 with the integrated Intel graphics and gain noticed no difference.

So, all that I can say is that it is not SAW/SAC 64-bit!

Found this:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    It appears Win 10 display graphics are a lot slower than Win XP, 7 or 8... still looking into it to see if there are any settings that can be adjusted to speed them up.

Bob L
    Which kinda confirms my suspicions.

Dominic