Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11

    Default Re: Alesis QS8.2 User Bank Sysex File Needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    By coincidence, about a week ago I replaced a soldered in battery with a battery holder in (another Alesis device) a quadraverb according to these instructions:

    http://se-server.ethz.ch/Staff/af/pd...eplacement.pdf

    ...as the pdf indicates, I was able to restore most of the presets from rom. I too had many cool patches setup which of course are gone...

    ... Prior to me finding that doc, the quadraverb was a brick I hadn't yet thrown out.
    Thanks for this. I haven't turned on my Quadraverb in probably 15 or 20 years. I'm guessing it'll be empty next time I do. I didn't know it had a battery in it.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

  2. #12

    Default Re: Alesis QS8.2 User Bank Sysex File Needed.

    New battery replaced into a new CR2032 socket soldered onto the circuit board... seems to be holding fine now when powered off and on.

    Yeah... Thank you all.

    Bob L

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maple Ridge, BC Canada
    Posts
    2,419

    Default Re: Alesis QS8.2 User Bank Sysex File Needed.

    Bob,
    Yeah... Thank you all.
    ... "Gaw-lee! Someone here finally had the opportunity of doing something for you - rather than the opposite!

    That leaves only 1.0e+9 to go!

  4. #14

    Default Re: Alesis QS8.2 User Bank Sysex File Needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    New battery replaced into a new CR2032 socket soldered onto the circuit board... seems to be holding fine now when powered off and on.

    Yeah... Thank you all.

    Bob L
    Unbelievable that Alesis was soldering button batteries to their circuit boards. Like they only expected the units to be used (or last?) for a few years? Crazy.

    Glad the community was able "give back" as the kids say, Bob, and you got it going, again.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    1,098

    Default Re: Alesis QS8.2 User Bank Sysex File Needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Unbelievable that Alesis was soldering button batteries to their circuit boards. Like they only expected the units to be used (or last?) for a few years? Crazy.
    Actually it wasn't really a crazy thing to do, the CR2032 10 year shelf life is >90% of the original capacity
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

  6. #16

    Default Re: Alesis QS8.2 User Bank Sysex File Needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Actually it wasn't really a crazy thing to do, the CR2032 10 year shelf life is >90% of the original capacity
    Not sure I understand what you're saying, but I think it would've made more sense to add the cost of a battery holder and lose the 10-year lifetime limit on the unit (before it needs to be resoldered). It just seems like selfish, short-term thinking.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    1,098

    Default Re: Alesis QS8.2 User Bank Sysex File Needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Not sure I understand what you're saying, but I think it would've made more sense to add the cost of a battery holder and lose the 10-year lifetime limit on the unit (before it needs to be resoldered). It just seems like selfish, short-term thinking.
    Its not a 10 year limit, it means the battery will still have 90% of its rated charge after 10 years.

    I've got three Alexis QS synths a 6.1, 7.1 and 8.2, all of which are still going strong. I don't know the actual dates of manufacture but the 6.1 and 7.1 were released in 1998 so that makes both units potentially 20+ years old.

    Granted its likely time to replace the batteries in all of my QS Synths and yes, I'll probably put in a battery holder.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

  8. #18

    Default Re: Alesis QS8.2 User Bank Sysex File Needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Its not a 10 year limit, it means the battery will still have 90% of its rated charge after 10 years.

    I've got three Alexis QS synths a 6.1, 7.1 and 8.2, all of which are still going strong. I don't know the actual dates of manufacture but the 6.1 and 7.1 were released in 1998 so that makes both units potentially 20+ years old.

    Granted its likely time to replace the batteries in all of my QS Synths and yes, I'll probably put in a battery holder.
    Gotcha. I didn't know they lasted that long. I know I've had to replace the CR2032 in my Roland U-20 twice since I got it in 1992, and it was relatively easy with the built-in battery holder. Not looking forward to opening up my Quadraverb.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

  9. #19

    Default Re: Alesis QS8.2 User Bank Sysex File Needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Actually it wasn't really a crazy thing to do, the CR2032 10 year shelf life is >90% of the original capacity
    That is shelf life - un-used. There is no way they could predict the capacity after 10 years of actual use.

    My $0.02 (Canadian Tire),
    John

  10. #20

    Default Re: Alesis QS8.2 User Bank Sysex File Needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcgriggs View Post
    That is shelf life - un-used. There is no way they could predict the capacity after 10 years of actual use.

    My $0.02 (Canadian Tire),
    John
    Good point. That would help to explain my multiple battery changes on my U-20 over the years.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •