Close

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default OT: UAD Lexicon 224 wet signal heavy on the right

Is this normal? The levels show as balanced, but perception-wise, it's heavy right channel for almost all the algos. I know that delayed signals arriving to the right ear before the left ear can shift the stereo image to the right, but other reverb plugs (and units) I use don't seem to favor the right side perception-wise. Anybody know what this is about? Is it just the way the 224 is?

I centered the dry source (mono) signal in the stereo field, so I know the speakers are at the same volume.

When I try pushing the output balance to the left, it never sounds right. It never sounds like an equally-weighted stereo image. My guess is that there's such disperately composed content in each channel that there's no way to make them sound "equivalent."

Check out a sample. Meters are more-or-less balanced-looking, yet here's how it sounds.

Several of the algos are sampled, here. Note that the fourth one, Chamber, is the only one that's not heavy-right sounding, and is even slightly heavy-left sounding.

Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 03-23-2019 at 12:30 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts