Close

Default Window 10 Skype SoundCard Problem

Seems Windows 10 likes to 'force' Skype' into Windows Startup, upon updates (if "Signed in")
    Problem is... it can wreak havoc with some audio card drivers (like Lynx).
    I did two things to disable that:
    1. Assign Skype to use input channels that I don't use, and to use Output Devices that i don't use.
    2. Sign OUT of Skype (but importantly) Sign out with Option to NOT remember Sign On name/password.

Computer audio (computer card device) works perfectly again just after doing the above.

A quick search online reveals disturbing changes that Microsoft does to your setup with various updates. Keeping various restore points to roll a system back to after an update are probably just as important as keeping a good backup of data.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Blog Entries

Default Re: Window 10 Skype SoundCard Problem

Carl,

Do you use or need Skype?
    What version/build and edition of Windows are you using?

Note: Just curious, how many WIN10 users are using a "local" or "offline" account?
    Last edited by mr_es335; 03-26-2019 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Question

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Carl,

Note: Just curious, how many WIN10 users are using a "local" or "offline" account?
    Local here.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 03-26-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Carl,

Don't want, don't like SKYPE.
    Win 10/1803
    Carl G.
    www.creativetrax.com

Blog Entries

Carl,
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    Don't want, don't like SKYPE.Win 10/1803
    ... Interesting, This version is from April 2018 - so you have skipped the October version. We are soon coming up to Version: 1810.

Can you please tell what edition you have - Home or Pro? Use "winver" - if you need to.

I know that on the PRO edition I have completely removed Skype. Let me now and I will tell you how I was able to accomplish this task.

Blog Entries

Carl,

Here is some info for you:

1. Use an offline/local account.
    * If you are using a on-line account, you can change it, See here: [Click_me]
    * If using an on-line account, Windows 10 will continue to use what on-line resources there are available to be used - of which Skype is one. So, if Skype is uninstalled, Skype will simply be re-installed at a later time. This is apparently so when suing an offline/local account.

2. Skype is not a program - but a Windows's App
    * So, locate Skype, right-click and select uninstall.

3. If using Pro, you can defer updates
    * Windows Update > Advanced

4. Disable Auto-update Store Apps
    See here: [Click_me]

Note: I performed a full install of WIN10 Pro. I then removed Skype and then performed all of the updates.
    First install: Version: 1809 (OS Build 17763.107)
    Update: Version: 1809 (OS Build 17763.379) So, from 107 to 379.
    * Skype did not re-install

I hope that you find this information helpful?

Carl,
    ... Interesting, This version is from April 2018 - so you have skipped the October version. We are soon coming up to Version: 1810.

Can you please tell what edition you have - Home or Pro? Use "winver" - if you need to.

I know that on the PRO edition I have completely removed Skype. Let me now and I will tell you how I was able to accomplish this task.
    Win Pro, Version 1803 (OS build 17134.648)
    Interesting.... because shortly before giving you the last info, I had booted via a recover disk from May of 2018 (after a suspected hardware problem after thunderstorm)
    I thought I had the October '18 update, but now looking through Update History, I see from June 2018 through last week, all updates are referencing Version 1803.

I really appreciate your tips on Skype & updates.
    But have a New problem since this Weds....
    Right now working hard on No Boot 80004001 error.
    I ran SFC /Scannow, and also DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Scanhealth and both came up perfect (no problems), and ran 'Restorehealth' just to be sure.
    But still have same no boot problems, and can't even access into BIOS. (hence I'm wondering about powersupply or maybe ram intermittant).
    So starting with recover usb stick occasionally gets me into Windows desktop (as now).
    It's going to be a great weekend.
    Any ideas on how to make it better?
    Carl G.
    www.creativetrax.com

Blog Entries

Carl,
    Right now working hard on No Boot 80004001 error.
    ... To begin with Carl, I am much better with software issues than hardware issues. So, I am hoping that Philip - or others will chime in here.

This being said, the No Boot 80004001 error is a very generic one - in fact, almost completely useless. The problem with SFC and other "fixes" is that it does not look at the actual hardware for issues. So, it is possible and even likely, that the issues you are experiencing are the result of a damaged area of the drive and which data is being unsuccessfully written to. You can perform some drive repairs, but this - sad to say, will not fix your issues.

Any ideas on how to make it better?
    ... Yes, disk imaging!
    * Carl, I sincerely believe, that unless someone with more hardware experience than I have chimes in - I see no other resolve than a clean install of Windows. Personally I have attempted various resolves with such generic errors that in the end, I found it better to perform a clean install. Once that is completed, then create a disk image using a third-party disk imaging application, such as Acronis, Macrium or Clonezilla.

Thanks. Those surely are the safe options that I may resort to. I'm learning that having various restore points and a recent image of C drive (neither of which I do often) is just as important as frequent data backups (which I do very often).
    Carl G.
    www.creativetrax.com

Blog Entries

Carl,

Restore points are in my estimation - a waste of time. I have never used them and have never found a need for them.
    * Yes, maybe once or twice when they were first introduced - but not since then. So I disable that feature altogether.

May I ask what disk imaging software you are using? I do hope that it is not the "Windows" one?

In all of my installs, I create a number of disk images along the way. For example, initial, drivers, main apps, and so on. In this way, I can always return to a previous step if the subsequent one fails. So, when the base system is completed, I date that base system image. This images will then be the last known working configuration.
    * Now, if I happen to add something after that, and that something fails, I know where I was, and I know where I am at, and I can then proceed accordingly. I am always looking for the "trigger" when something fails. With Windows 7, I know all the time what was going on - especially if this was a standalone system.

With Windows 10 - on the other hand, I am constantly monitoring the system during the various update processes - taking inventory of these various processes. I have a test of LTSB coming soon and will then be able to compare the Pro version against the LTSB version.

Lastly, on my "live rig" system, there is nothing on that system that has not been thoroughly tested on my bench system. As much as it is possible, I attempt to make everything into a "portable app" - much like SAW and SAC. I use batch files for the copy processes - adding reg keys when needed.

So, when I do a disk image, I know, as much as it is possible, the state of that system at any given time - baring hardware failure. For interest, the following is an image of my rig installation folder - and which contains over 2800 files and 375 folders. Many say that I am "meticulous to a fault" - and others state "I way over think things". Guilty of both - but I do not really mind!

Attachment 2945

The whole point in all of this is knowing as much as it possible what is going on at any particular time and then having a contingency plan to fall back on.

And, by-the-way, if you are planning a "RE&RE", please consider the LTSB version. At $15.00 you cannot go wrong!
    Last edited by mr_es335; 03-30-2019 at 08:53 AM.