Close

Default MIdas M32 USB outs show up as stereo pairs

I was making a live recording the other night, using the latest version of SAWStudio connected to a Midas M32 via USB. In SAW all I could get were stereo pairs vs. the mono channels/tracks I wanted to record. I was under pressure and had to revert to using SAC as a front end and then recording in SAW with SAC-Link. This is how I normally do it and it worked just fine. If I want to record, just using SAW, how do I assign mono channels rom the stereo pairs? I was using the Klark-Teknik drivers that I downloaded from the Behringer/Midas/Music Group website.

Default Re: MIdas M32 USB outs show up as stereo pairs

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrow View Post
    I was making a live recording the other night, using the latest version of SAWStudio connected to a Midas M32 via USB. In SAW all I could get were stereo pairs vs. the mono channels/tracks I wanted to record. I was under pressure and had to revert to using SAC as a front end and then recording in SAW with SAC-Link. This is how I normally do it and it worked just fine. If I want to record, just using SAW, how do I assign mono channels rom the stereo pairs? I was using the Klark-Teknik drivers that I downloaded from the Behringer/Midas/Music Group website.
    Not understanding. Do you mean summing the stereo pairs to mono input channels to record?

If you assign a stereo device as a channel input source, select Mono at the top of the channel strip, then select the same channel in the record meter/setup, I think that'll do it.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

The inputs show up as stereo pairs. In SAC I can choose stereo pairs or single mono channels. SAW just shows the stereo pairs. Let's say there is a guitar on Channel 1 (L of the 1st pair) and a vocal on Channel 2 (R of the first pair0. How would I assign these as just two separate channels to record? With sAC as a front end, it is no problem. I just don't know how to do it in SAW by itself.

The inputs show up as stereo pairs. In SAC I can choose stereo pairs or single mono channels. SAW just shows the stereo pairs. Let's say there is a guitar on Channel 1 (L of the 1st pair) and a vocal on Channel 2 (R of the first pair0. How would I assign these as just two separate channels to record? With sAC as a front end, it is no problem. I just don't know how to do it in SAW by itself.
    I realize it adds an extra step but couldn't you just use SAC as the front end for SAW Studio and do the assignment that way?
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

revert to using SAC as a front end and then recording in SAW with SAC-Link. This is how I normally do it and it worked just fine. .
    We are talking to a SAC user. I'm not familiar with that work flow.

...at last a question I can answer...

In SS, when you click the first tracks record button, the associated meter strip pops up. Click on the first stereo device indicated on that meter strip, which is the default, you get a popup menu select whatever mono device. Subsequent armed tracks are the next mono device (approximately).

If you play with the rollover help you will find all kinds of zones that do things you didn't know about too (not that I can ever remember any of them).

Click in the Record Meter Input zone and then select Mono Devices.

Bob L

I am now connected to my RME Fireface USB. The Mono Devices are greyed out. Only the Stereo L/R groups are selectable.

Update: Sorry, I figured it out. I had to assign the Audio Driver Model to ASiO and then pick the Fireface USB. I had everything unselected, left over from the other night. I see how it works now. Thanks! I have never actually recorded with just SAW. I always use SAC as a front end. I may continue to do that anyway to preserve options and flexibility.
    Last edited by dbarrow; 04-09-2019 at 10:30 PM.

In SAWStudio you can choose stereo devices, mono devices or mixer channels on the MultiTrack record meter for each track:

Name:  record meter mono devices.JPG
Views: 136
Size:  34.5 KB
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts