Close

Default Future W10 Version Updates Will Be Up To the User

This is a change in MS behavior regarding updates. Apparently, in the future, one will have the option of choosing when one updates.

https://bgr.com/2019/04/05/windows-1...-forced-on-pc/

But it's still only possible to delay an update for 35 days.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Future W10 Version Updates Will Be Up To the User

John,

have a look at this article: Windows 10: The Update Process

There are three types of updates, 1) Security updates, 2) Feature updates, and 3) Quality updates. So...

1) Security updates cannot be disabled - though they can be temporarily disabled but any attempts to permanently disable these Security updates will fail at some point.

2) Feature updates can be disabled for up to one year. After that, a Feature update - actually two of them dependent on just when Windows 10 was originally installed, will be completed. And when completed, you can then disable Feature updates for another year.

3) Quality updates can be disabled for a period of 35 days, with a similar process taking place as with Feature updates.

As a point of interest, I have had a test system with a current build as of February 20th, 2019 disconnected from the Internet. Four weeks later I booted the system - this time connected to the Internet, and the system booted without any update notices. One week later, I again booted the system with an Internet connection - this time, both Security updates and Quality updates were installed. I will again check this same system in another four weeks.

The only resolve at preset to the entire update process is to obtain the LTSB version of Windows 10. However, the current version of LTSB is dated 2019 and the support cycle I understand to be three years. This would mean then that a more recent version of LTSB should be made available soon. Regardless, for $11.00US, this really should be "a no brainier".

For Windows 10 LTSB, see here: [Click_me]

Note, some rather pertinent information here: [URL="https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/28/windows-10-ltsb-becomes-windows-10-ltsc/"]Windows 10 LTSB becomes Windows 10 LTSC[/UR]
    * In particular, a 3 year cycle with 10 years overall support. The LTSC version should have "the FLS slots update".

Update: THE LTSC version is now available: [Click_me]. Again, just $11.00US!

I do hope that others find this information helpful?

Note: Just ordered the LTSC version...will install and keep you informed.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 04-05-2019 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Update

I can't tell what era that is from. But, I think it must be recent. I suppose it kind of makes sense not to allow security issues to proliferate due to lack of upgrades.

Dell, it sounds as if LTSC might be recent enough to sport the FLS slot upgrade, which would be good. Would you mind testing that when you get the chance?

Blog Entries

Good day,

So far LTSC looks very good.

Will keep you updated.