Close

Blog Entries

Default Both SAC64 and SAW64 quit working on my computer

Hello,

I hope that dbarrow does not mind, but I thought it interesting that he included his taskbar in his query regarding the above in the "SAC (and Plugins) 64 Bit Version Bug Reports" posting.

I must admit, that there are quite a number of running processes going on! A few questions and some observations if you would not mind.

Attachment 2965

Q: Is this a "production system"?
    O&Q: ESET is a great AV, but I see that you are also running Windows Defender and Spybot. May I ask why so many?
    O&Q: I observe that there are at least thirteen visible processes? Again, why so many?
    O&Q: NVidia is generally not a preferred video card for digital audio. May I ask why you are not using the integrated video - if your system does have one? Or use ATI?
    Q: Do you actually use Bluetooth?
    O&Q: It looks as if you are running Nero as well? Are there not better - and certainly less resource intensive, alternatives available today?
    Q: I would love to see a screen capture of your desktop?

Here is a screen capture of one of six office systems that I have just completed using WIN10 PRO:

Attachment 2967

Here is my laptop production system, running WIN7 PRO:

Attachment 2968

If there is a point here, try to minimize all of the background "stuff" that is going on. If you are unable to do this, then find someone in your area who could be of assistance to you.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 04-21-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Default Re: Both SAC64 and SAW64 quit working on my computer

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

I hope that dbarrow does not mind, but I thought it interesting that he included his taskbar in his query regarding the above in the "SAC (and Plugins) 64 Bit Version Bug Reports" posting.

I must admit, that there are quite a number of running processes going on! A few questions and some observations if you would not mind.

Attachment 2965

Q: Is this a "production system"?
    O&Q: ESET is a great AV, but I see that you are also running Windows Defender and Spybot. May I ask why so many?
    O&Q: I observe that there are at least thirteen visible processes? Again, why so many?
    O&Q: NVidia is generally not a preferred video card for digital audio. May I ask why you are not using the integrated video - if your system does have one? Or use ATI?
    Q: Do you actually use Bluetooth?
    O&Q: It looks as if you are running Nero as well? Are there not better - and certainly less resource intensive, alternatives available today?
    Q: I would love to see a screen capture of your desktop?

Here is a screen capture of one of six office systems that I have just completed using WIN10 PRO:

Attachment 2967

Here is my laptop production system, running WIN7 PRO:

Attachment 2968

If there is a point here, try to minimize all of the background "stuff" that is going on. If you are unable to do this, then find someone in your area who could be of assistance to you.
    This is my notebook that I use for other purposes. SAC64 and SAW64 were running perfectly before the Eset NOD32 update. Once I excluded those programs inside the AV software they once again run flawlessly. NVidia is the video card installed in the notebook computer. It came that way and has never presented any problems. Usually I kill many of those other processes if I do a critical session, but everything has run for years with each successive RML program update. This is the first real problem I have had and I solved it. I may trim some of these other processes and programs out, but I don't need to at the moment.
    Last edited by dbarrow; 04-22-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Blog Entries

dbarrow,

I sincerely believe that you are missing the point here. Years ago I worked for a large bicycle store where I lived by the principle of "Clean As You Go". I was later promoted to head mechanic for all of the stores and was made responsible for designing and then training the other mechanics. This was indeed an honour - and I can attribute this "success" to my work ethic. In my training facility, the first "tools" that I introduced perspective mechanics to is a broom and a dust pan.

Now, if I happen to be in a position of hiring someone to perform a particular task, I will ask them to show me either their workshop or their van and will hire/not hire them based on what I see. Granted, I may "miss out" on that "one exception", but for over 40 years now, I have not once regretted this decision.

I also liken a computer to a pickup truck - with the quick launch area resembling the inside of the cab and the notification area resembling the box. The contents of the quick launch area has more to do with "cab cosmetics", while the contents of the notification area is similar to carrying a load of some sort.

In your case dbarrow, you are carrying a constant large load. If this were a real scenario, this load would have a profound effect on the vehicle itself as well as on overall gas consumption. Though it is impossible NOT to have a few background processes running, I ensure that what IS running is the absolute bare minimum. Also, I am very much aware of precisely what background processes is/are running at any given time - akin to knowing what is the box of my truck.

In your present case dbarrow, you are carrying at least three significant loads, 2 AV's and one malware application. Are these all really necessary? And with all of the other "stuff" you are carrying around, there just may mean that there is little room for carrying anything else. "Kludge" I believe might be an appropriate term to use here.

On the there hand, have a peep at Philip G's/cgrafx's setups. His workmanship is impeccable and is a real pleasure to behold.

One final point may be of interest to you, and that is that Windows is considered as a "pre-emptive multitasking" environment. From my meager understanding, the fewer things there are to pre-empt a thing, the better that thing will work – or be assured of working.

Anyhow, just my 2-bits worth!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    dbarrow,

I sincerely believe that you are missing the point here. Years ago I worked for a large bicycle store where I lived by the principle of "Clean As You Go". I was later promoted to head mechanic for all of the stores and was made responsible for designing and then training the other mechanics. This was indeed an honour - and I can attribute this "success" to my work ethic. In my training facility, the first "tools" that I introduced perspective mechanics to is a broom and a dust pan.

Now, if I happen to be in a position of hiring someone to perform a particular task, I will ask them to show me either their workshop or their van and will hire/not hire them based on what I see. Granted, I may "miss out" on that "one exception", but for over 40 years now, I have not once regretted this decision.

I also liken a computer to a pickup truck - with the quick launch area resembling the inside of the cab and the notification area resembling the box. The contents of the quick launch area has more to do with "cab cosmetics", while the contents of the notification area is similar to carrying a load of some sort.

In your case dbarrow, you are carrying a constant large load. If this were a real scenario, this load would have a profound effect on the vehicle itself as well as on overall gas consumption. Though it is impossible NOT to have a few background processes running, I ensure that what IS running is the absolute bare minimum. Also, I am very much aware of precisely what background processes is/are running at any given time - akin to knowing what is the box of my truck.

In your present case dbarrow, you are carrying at least three significant loads, 2 AV's and one malware application. Are these all really necessary? And with all of the other "stuff" you are carrying around, there just may mean that there is little room for carrying anything else. "Kludge" I believe might be an appropriate term to use here.

On the there hand, have a peep at Philip G's/cgrafx's setups. His workmanship is impeccable and is a real pleasure to behold.

One final point may be of interest to you, and that is that Windows is considered as a "pre-emptive multitasking" environment. From my meager understanding, the fewer things there are to pre-empt a thing, the better that thing will work ***8211; or be assured of working.

Anyhow, just my 2-bits worth!
    agree with all that. My main system is a lot "cleaner", but I have been using the notebook set, for smaller gigs and it works great. As I said, I kill may of the processes you saw before I roll with the actual performance. Even if I don't it still works. My main setup has 32 ins/outs with RayDAT and Focusrite OctoPre Dynamic preamps.
    I