Close

Default Win 7 Home Premium

I am stuck in windows BS with a new machine getting legacy firewire drivers working for my Mackie Onyx (which I am determined to keep using). Until I get that sorted, I decided to put ss64 on my laptop which runs Linux, but still has the original 64 bit Win 7 Home Premium partition (I was not even aware that this was 64 bit until looking in ControPanel\System recently - and it has a working firewire interface).

I get the message
    Windows can not access the specified device path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item.

Attachment 2969

...I have tried changing owner, permissions, compatibility, running as administrator... with no luck. Saw is the only reason I ever use these annoying OSes. While I am pleased to find I am becoming less proficient with it (once I tuned XP on the old P4 - the other saw machine - never went online and never looked back. Foolishly I thought you guys were having more fun on the 64bit version - and now I guess I am too), does anybody have any ideas why I may be encountering this message. I had long ago minimized services... to run ss_non_64. So is it possible I have something disabled that 64 needs.

On a side note, what I have learned so far is that Win10 has at least ten times the BS!

Finally, a fun question. Can anyone identify what resides on the the desktop of the image? A hint is that it from 1943 - some of the old technology is amazing...

Default Re: Win 7 Home Premium

Scratch this question.

I just copied all of the files into another folder then SS64 opens. So for whatever reason, there must have been something funky about the SAWStudio64 folder the installer created.

I wish I tried that a few hours earlier...

Hmm

I deleted the original C:\SAWStudio64 folder & it's contents. moved the newly created SAWStudio64 working folder to C\: and it no longer works.

Drag it into another folder, it works. Weird.

I can leave it this way - but I would prefer to have it where the installer likes to put it.

The permissions... on the surface appear to be identical for the C:\SAWStudio (which works) & C:\SAWStudio64 folders too.

I dug down a little deeper in the folder properties Security section in a side by side comparison between C:\SAWStudio & an newly created C:\SAWStudio64.

The new folder had a UserGroup of Everybody with deny fields - I deleted that property element after unblocking inherit.

I added a permissions user entry of 'Authenticated Users' clicking permissions to match the working folder's. Copied SS64's files back in and all is well...

Now to get the firewire & the Onyx working on the new HP desktop - next try is to downgrade to win7 - I'll see how the Ryzen handles that - but it is said to work.

I just can't hurl enough insults at Bill Gates & Co. I understand why they refuse to support perfectly good hardware - but that does not make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    I dug down a little deeper in the folder properties Security section in a side by side comparison between C:\SAWStudio & an newly created C:\SAWStudio64.

The new folder had a UserGroup of Everybody with deny fields - I deleted that property element after unblocking inherit.

I added a permissions user entry of 'Authenticated Users' clicking permissions to match the working folder's. Copied SS64's files back in and all is well...

Now to get the firewire & the Onyx working on the new HP desktop - next try is to downgrade to win7 - I'll see how the Ryzen handles that - but it is said to work.

I just can't hurl enough insults at Bill Gates & Co. I understand why they refuse to support perfectly good hardware - but that does not make it right.
    In this particular case its not Bill Gates & Co, its Makie that hasn't updated their drivers for the newer OS's. Of coarse there are plenty of other reasons to hurl insults at Microsoft.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

>>>, its Makie that hasn't updated their drivers for the newer OS's.

Yea this is true, but you can get the old driver to install - and they had eventually released a 64bit driver for win7 (which is now working nicely on my laptop).

The hangup for my install is actually on the firewire card. MS had released a legacy 1394 driver for win8 - which initially could be installed and worked on several win10 builds which enabled the use of several older fw400 devices.

To release a win10 driver, Mackie might also have to conform to some DRM requirements. This of course should not be required as any DRM surveillance is undesirable for pro or any other audio - but its all about corporate dominance and making everybody pay for everything and then have to do it again... And of course manufactures have little incentive to not conform as they would rather sell new stuff too. This is all part of the system of continually filling up your cpu cycles with viruses, bloatware and DRM to maintain our consumption.

The P4 I have been bragging about can do pretty much anything average people would need to do, edit a video, write a letter, record a hit song (well this hasn't happened yet - but it could) - that would all change pretty quick if using it online. We have a whole fleet of Win10 machines at the school district & they all stagger around booting up and loading all the crap that does not need to be there. I can't think of any application used on any of them as responsive as SS on the P4. Of course, I want it to run like greased lightning instead of just lightning - thus the New machine...