Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SOT: "My Story"

Default Re: SOT: "My Story"

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    I have been an avid supporter since. And yes, I am actually 103.
    I think that now would be a good time to give some recognition to Bob's seeing-eye dog, Asciii, who now is the one doing the actual coding...

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    I am pretty sure I have been a SAW user since 1993. I met Bob at the New York AES show. He was at the Card D booth I believe. This is back when the show was still at the Hilton. Later that day I went to Sam Ash on 48th street and bought a copy. I have been an avid supporter since. And yes, I am actually 103.
    So... somewhere I have a lot of SawPlus32 vaulted projects on DATs.
    I guess the only way to restore those would be back through DAT to SAWPlus32 to SAWStudio, right? On those old sessions, I used plugins that no longer work (old sony stuff, etc), so getting a good 'remix' will have to be redone in SawStudio.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Blog Entries

Good day,

jmh said,
    I think that now would be a good time to give some recognition to Bob's seeing-eye dog, Asciii, who now is the one doing the actual coding...
    ...is there a meaning to this?...

....then Carl said,
    So... somewhere I have a lot of SawPlus32 vaulted projects on DATs.
    .. I gather that you never kept the original wav files?

Wow. Trying to piece the history together.
    Compuserve and BBS's.
    SAW 1.0 on a floppy.
    Card D from "Bananas at Large"
    Service call talks with Etienne. What a great guy. RIP.
    I remember not wanting to go Mac, and fought against the doubly expensive computer, and Pro Tools with the proprietary hardware. Having no card choice was a deal killer.
    My obsessive participation in the forum, which has tapered off a bit now. And it seems the trolls are now gone, happily.
    Still use SAWStudio every day.
    But yeah, the whole analog to digital journey has been a wild ride.

Quote Originally Posted by studio-c View Post
    on a floppy.
    I forgot about that. I think it went right to sawpro. I remember seeing the contrast with Sonar and its multiple cd or dvds bulked up with things I would never use - although I do like a few of the effects. It was quite remarkable because the first version I had just barely fit - then the next and the next... and of course by sawpro there was double the capabilities...

and es335's > ...is there a meaning to this?...

It is an old person joke - better for you if you don't get it yet - or, everybody knows young pups don't code in assembler...

Blog Entries

jmh,
    It is an old person joke - better for you if you don't get it yet - or, everybody knows young pups don't code in assembler...
    ...Gosh! I am 65...and I did some programming in Assembler from '96 to '98. Never heard that line though!

This one I remember:

Why are assembly programmers always under a lot of pressure?
    Because they work below C level.

Blog Entries

I started recording in the mid-'80s on my Technics double cassette player that had an overdub feature, this allowed me to get 4 tracks, still have it and it works great ;-)
    In 1999 I built my first computer and got Cubase, it was my first DAW. For years I used it dealing with all the issues and then in 2005 I came across SawStudio and the rest is history.

My husband, Chris and I were long time SAW users individually going back to what is now SAW Classic in the Compuserve days.

I'm going to task my memory here. But, we, along with Bill Park were early adapters of SAWStudio in 1999(maybe?) using dual CPU computers. As I recall, there were some IDE problems that we worked at testing out for Bob. I think there was an email listserve that we all passed info to each other on. I may still have the messages.

There were only a couple of people here I've ever met in person. One was Chris, of course. Though not until 2002. We were married in 2005. He died in 2013. Bill, who we only ever had phone conversations with, died a a year or two later.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

WOWIE!!!! MEMORIES....

Sometime back in the early 90's... still working on 24-track tape, the digital age started creeping in on me.... slowly! I was working nearly around the clock at a kickin' studio in Vancouver, BC at that time. I remember that I started hearing talk of digital audio and using computers for music. People would gush about it all as if it were some mystical and mysterious thing.. and in a sense I suppose it was.

And of course most of the talk was about this new program PRO TOOLS on Macs. And I remember thinking I was going to have to check into it all, though in the beginning I was very skeptical to say the least. I remember a client bringing his new computer with a way back when version of Pro Tools on it and hooking it all up in the control room. He booted it up and fiddled a minute or two and then the whole system froze up! I thought he was gonna cry.. I mean really.

It was a bold new world though and I kept my eyes and ears open. I at first decided I would get this Pro Tools thing and a computer to go with it and I looked into everything I could find about it. The more I looked though, the more I wasn't certain this is what I wanted. Let me interject here this before continuing: This is not an attempt to bash PT.. I'm not here for that. I'm talking about the very early days of this and the technology was new and very limited.

IN any case, at some point way back then I somehow talked with someone at the studio one day and he said I should check out this new program SAW... on a PC! He was saying interesting things and I wanted to check it out. Back then for a while Bob was selling through retail stores. At least there was a place in Vancouver that was selling SAW, on a floppy disk if I recall correctly.

I bought it, ordered a big tower from Micron with; I believe it was Windows for Workgroups? I remember booting up to SAW with a custom floppy disk back then! Wild pioneering times!!!

And so I started messing around with this whole new idea, while still working daily with analog tape and gradually started incorporating it into my workflow. And of course we know how it all progressed to what it is today.

One fun thing I remember around that time, way early, I was working with a new client (still working on multi-track tape for that project) and I mentioned that I had started doing something with this new program SAW on a PC.

The reaction was unexpected! This guy got pretty aggressive about it and proclaimed sternly that that was IMPOSSIBLE! He looked at me like I had lost my mind and said digital audio could ONLY be done on a MAC and ONLY with PRO TOOLS.. PERIOD!

I remember that really well!!! It was the beginnings of the snobbery to come! I dropped the whole thing and we went back to work... with tape!

With all the changes in digital audio, as the technology progressed, SAW and the many versions that arose from it were always ahead of the curve... and generally significantly so! I remember when at one point one of my buddies was running the then latest version of PT with 4 tracks while I had 16 tracks on whatever version of SAW it was at that time.

I made a lot of records with Bob's DAW's over the years and what Bob did was to me revolutionary and ahead of the pack from the beginning! I remember talking to Dirk at SOUNDSCAPE way back when. Dirk was their main software guy. I asked him at one point if he knew of Bob and what he thought of him and the SAW DAW.

I remember it well, his reply was quick and emphatic! He said that Bob was a genius! Actually I believe he said, "That guy is a genius!" And that he did it all on his own. He was clearly impressed. I asked him about Bob's decisions as to coding and other aspects of the technology and he explained it well and said it was all 'the best way to go'... like fixed point instead of floating point.. fixed number of tracks... machine language.

Unfortunately I lost track of Dirk a while after SOUNDSCAPE sold to SSL, many years ago now. But.... Dirk was a fan!!!

SO am I.

It's been a LONG, LONG and EXCITING RUN!!! I turned 70 back in January and even before that I thought of 'retiring' but I haven't been able to pull that off quite yet and actually I'm starting to get back into it more and more again. It's till exciting and my love of music will never fade!

And SAW.. well SAW is like an old friend!

Thanks BOB!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    My husband, Chris and I were long time SAW users individually going back to what is now SAW Classic in the Compuserve days.

I'm going to task my memory here. But, we, along with Bill Park were early adapters of SAWStudio in 1999(maybe?) using dual CPU computers. As I recall, there were some IDE problems that we worked at testing out for Bob. I think there was an email listserve that we all passed info to each other on. I may still have the messages.

There were only a couple of people here I've ever met in person. One was Chris, of course. Though not until 2002. We were married in 2005. He died in 2013. Bill, who we only ever had phone conversations with, died a a year or two later.
    I miss Bill Park (and his purported rock-n-roll girlfriend). I never met him in the flesh, but I got good advice from him periodically. He seemed to know everything and everyone and yet was still sort of low key about it. I still think about him often.

I wonder how the monitors for his listening room (that he settled for when he moved to Florida) ultimately turned out for him. He died before he reported about that. He had retired and sold his studio that had 10 or 20 grand invested in just the monitors, and a room setup in the golden ratio. He went from that to a listening room in a spare bedroom in his retirement house and was in the process of choosing monitors that he hoped would give him that sense of actually being there if he closed his eyes - and he was concerned that he might not ever have that experience again.

It is funny how you form relationships with people you will never actually see or touch. We're all just letters on a digital page, and yet...