Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SOT: "My Story"

Default Re: SOT: "My Story"

Over the past 25 years there have been many guys with great knowledge on this forum who were here and happy to give us good information - Bill Park was one of them.
    I've learned a lot over the years here. I have only ever belonged to two forums - SAW and Gretsch-talk. Thanks to Bob for making my job easier and yes he is a genius!...

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    I miss Bill Park (and his purported rock-n-roll girlfriend). I never met him in the flesh, but I got good advice from him periodically. He seemed to know everything and everyone and yet was still sort of low key about it. I still think about him often.

I wonder how the monitors for his listening room (that he settled for when he moved to Florida) ultimately turned out for him. He died before he reported about that. He had retired and sold his studio that had 10 or 20 grand invested in just the monitors, and a room setup in the golden ratio. He went from that to a listening room in a spare bedroom in his retirement house and was in the process of choosing monitors that he hoped would give him that sense of actually being there if he closed his eyes - and he was concerned that he might not ever have that experience again.

It is funny how you form relationships with people you will never actually see or touch. We're all just letters on a digital page, and yet...

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    .. I gather that you never kept the original wav files?
    Where?

Bear in mind this was back when our hard drives were only a few hundred MB in size! And I think CD-R was still not a thing. We had few archive options. Back then, SAW had a feature that allowed you to backup your projects, file by file -- in real time -- to DAT tape. It was a pretty cool idea.

Soon thereafter CD-R was the way to go, and we never looked back.

Till now!
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 05-07-2019 at 02:54 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Good day,

Dave said...
    ... We are just having a "HAL 9000" of a time with you Dave!!

All that I can say is "I am very glad that I began this positing!!" It is absolutely wonderful to hear all of the "in the trench" stories about the early days of IQS and RML.

I managed to obtain a copy of SAWPlus and SAWPro from someone back in 2011 - just so that could have a glimpse at what these apps were like.
    Note: It WAS interesting to see a "Sequence View" in the SAW Pro V1.7 demo that I have...Was this more of a precursor to SoundFile View?

Does anyone here remember the term "Compu-spend"?

Thanks for the "memories"!
    Sound File View was always its own thing, IIRC.

Sequence view, IIRC, simply showed the sequence of MT region entries in order, along with control entries you could insert. It showed the sequence for the current MT hottrack. But I think you could use it to navigate around the MT. I think it was the precursor to today's Control Track window. Back then, the control entries would live on a track in the MT along with audio regions, and show up in the Sequence View window, just like the region entries would.

There was also a "Full View," which was pretty cool: it showed you an overview of an entire sound file and was linked to the Sound File view. So you could keep the SF view zoomed in for detailed work and use the Full View to navigate to different parts of the sound file; it was especially useful when working on long sound files. Bob dropped it when zooming became so much easier using the mouse wheel. You could then zoom all the way out, click where you wanted to go, then zoom back in within a few seconds. Before mouse-wheel zooming it was all about the + and - keys. MUCH clunkier. MUCH slower. Although, I think the numpad keys worked even back then for preset zoom levels. Still, I remember how mouse-wheel zooming changed my life at the time.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 05-07-2019 at 03:19 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts