Close

Default Ribbons - what to do with them

Well I had resisted any new audio gear for sometime - but talked myself into splurging on a new piece of gear, an Audio Technica AT4080 ribbon.

Well, I must say this is a totally different animal than what I am used to. Placing in a spot about 20" from the 14th fret which would work nicely with a cardioid condenser for acoustic guitar was ugh muddy and I determined that the proximity effect is considerably more than what I am accustom to. So far I have found that it sounds better (maybe fantastic) at least 3' out and the aim has a much more effect on the tone. And then you also have much more room sound. Wow there is a lot to consider!

So any ribbon suggestions, success stories and usage considerations appreciated...
    Last edited by jmh; 04-28-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Default Re: Ribbons - what to do with them

I have a CAC Fathead and I reach for mine whenever I'm recording a flute or bluegrass fiddle. I don't care for it on an acoustic guitar but have
    occasionally
    used it on a nasal vocalist. Oh, also (and this is a big one) on heavy metal guitar cabs. It helps calm that "loose bees in a box" sound. I might try it on other bowed instruments that exhibit too much "rosin" sound too... just experiment and you'll make your own list.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

I have a Cowley and Tripp naked eye ribbon which I have successfully on piano accordion and guitar amps. Am recording electric guitar with it at present with good results.

Cheers

I love my Beyer M160 on violin. And have used a pair of them over cymbals with good results.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    I love my Beyer M160 on violin.
    How could you not? I remember you had linked a P. Glass performance with a soloist you had recorded that sounded rather spectacular...