Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default HELP! SawStudio64 not responding

All of a sudden, SS 64 is broken. It starts, and I can load a file into the MultiTrack. But it won't play. The 'Play' icon sometimes flashes and stops, sometimes stays engaged, but the MT cursor doesn't move.

When I try to exit SS, it hangs, and I have to use the Task manager to kill it.

I tried installing another instance of SS64 with no plug-ins and default F-key layout. Same thing.

Possible cause (maybe):

I'm using two monitors. One recently died and I hooked up a new one. All other apps are working fine with it.
    A number of software apps have updated recently, but I turn them off and still no go.
    Maybe some other setting I've mucked with is causing it?

Funny thing is ... SawStudio 32 still works fine.

I plan to boot into Safe Mode and see if SS64 will work with no background processes, but if anyone has an idea what's going wrong, I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks.

Roger

Blog Entries

Default Re: HELP! SawStudio64 not responding

radiorog,

A bit more information would help...What OS, what interface, what version of SS64, and so on

If something WAS working and that something is now NOT working - then something triggered the failure. The key is in attempting to ascertain just what the trigger is.

I doubt if the problem is associated with the monitors.

Do you know what settings you "mucked" with?

I would try the demo of SS64 or ensure that the copy that is being installed, is begin installed to a completely different folder name - such a "test".

I use a ZOOM UAC-2 and sometimes the ZOOM causes SS64 to hang - and the SS process cannot be ended until I turn off the interface.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 05-04-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Nothing changed in the SAW program... so I would guess that maybe something else in the system changed... like the soundcard drivers... the drivers become engaged when you press play... the crash could be there.

Bob L

Sorry.

It's Windows 10 version 1803 (updated a year ago). The sound card is an RME HDSPe, set to the analog input/output. SS64 v1_0g (although I tried going back to 1_0f, and that didn't fix it.)

Roger

Make sure you use the ASIO drivers for the RME... and possibly re-install the driver... it may have gotten corrupted.

Bob L

Okay, so I installed the latest RME drivers and did a flash update. Set to ASIO. No change.

I booted into Safe Mode, but that was futile, because in Safe Mode the RME drivers don't load. So, SS64 wouldn't even work.

I disabled every running background app except for my anti-virus and rebooted. Still no go.

What's confusing is that SS32 still works fine, including plug-ins. I suppose it's engaging 32-bit drivers, where SS64 would engage 64-bit drivers. But SS64 was working fine just a few days ago.

As I mentioned before, I tried downgrading back to SS64 build 'f', but the same problem occurred. I also installed a fresh copy of SS64'g' with nothing else added. Same problem.

So, I'm stumped. I'm guessing that it's something in Windows 10 itself that has changed. I tried a self-repair, but that found nothing worth changing.

I'm grateful for any other ideas anyone may offer.

TIA.

Roger

I love this forum!
    Robert V.
    www.shinustudios.com
    www.art2ear.com

Suggest changing the screen resolution default sawstudio.fky to a single screen lower resolution and testing that.
    It could be a message hiding off the screen somewhere which would cause exactly the symptoms you describe!

Best of luck
    Robert V.
    www.shinustudios.com
    www.art2ear.com

My experience in this thread "Win 7 Home Premium" suggests changing the name to the saw studio folder then do a new ss64 install and see if the new works. If so it may be a permissions or owner issue perhaps one of the folders or dlls

John

Do you have an anti virus program running? I had a similar problem on my notebook rig. I use the notebook for all kinds of other applications and never had a problem with SAW or SAC, but the ESET NOD32 AV software updated and then neither SAW64 or SAC64 would run properly. This was cured by adding exclusions for both exe files in the HIPS (Host Intrusion Protection System) section of NOD32. That was locking out the SAC/SAW exe files. The 32bit versions worked fine, but not the 64bit versions. It took a while to trace this down, because Windows 10, NOD32, NVidia Graphics Drivers, etc. had updated since everything worked previously. Once I added exclusions in NOD32 everything worked perfectly. On my other rig I don't run AV software, but I do on my notebook. It hasn't been a problem, once all the various settings and issues are tweaked.