Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: SOT: SAC and "No G.A.S."

Here's a nice A/B/C of a 2Mic, a stock piezo with one of the Fishman acoustic guitar modelers, and an actual mic - all using the same guitar. I think the 2Mic shines pretty brightly in this comparison although one might quibble about the mic placement. And the stock piezo demonstrates what Dave hates about acoustic guitar pickups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP56OuCCXuQ

I see they make a '7Mic' too that hasn't been treated to avoid live feedback. But, I can't find an example of it on YouTube. That one interests me a lot.

Blog Entries

John,

I have seen and heard most - if not all if the 2Mic demos - and what is surprising and sad is that most of these demos are either "strummed" or "finger-picked" - and done so without the use of nails. To me, playing a guitar without the use of nails would be akin to painting without the use of bristles.

For example, here is live demo of Christopher Parkening [Click_me] The guitar - from what I have been able to ascertain is an Aria with their own pickup system. Sounds pretty-darn good to me!

Ken Donnell has developed a new higher-end internal mic'ing system, called "The 2Mic" - [Click_me] What is quite remarkable, is that the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet is using and presently touring with the new "the2Mic***8482; Dual Soundhole Microphone" which now has wireless capabilities. Ken has recently sent me one - but as of yet I have not tested it out.

Adam del Monte had provided me with the following sample: 2 Octave Chromatic Scale
    * Read more about this excerpt here...

Pierre Bensusan was using one of the older Model 7's along with the Barbera Transducer - but I am not too sure where he is with that these days.

Talked with Bensusan last year. He was playing his trusty Lowden guitar with Barbera transducers.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    John,

I have seen and heard most - if not all if the 2Mic demos - and what is surprising and sad is that most of these demos are either "strummed" or "finger-picked" - and done so without the use of nails. To me, playing a guitar without the use of nails would be akin to painting without the use of bristles.

For example, here is live demo of Christopher Parkening [Click_me] The guitar - from what I have been able to ascertain is an Aria with their own pickup system. Sounds pretty-darn good to me!

Ken Donnell has developed a new higher-end internal mic'ing system, called "The 2Mic" - [Click_me] What is quite remarkable, is that the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet is using and presently touring with the new "the2Mic***8482; Dual Soundhole Microphone" which now has wireless capabilities. Ken has recently sent me one - but as of yet I have not tested it out.

Adam del Monte had provided me with the following sample: 2 Octave Chromatic Scale
    * Read more about this excerpt here...

Pierre Bensusan was using one of the older Model 7's along with the Barbera Transducer - but I am not too sure where he is with that these days.
    Is that it, do you think? Lack of finger nails? I'm not sure. But, I know what you mean about the effect of fingernails on the sound (particularly on steel strings). As I have gotten older my fingernails have gotten thinner and are not reliable for any length of time anymore (I'm a finger stylist). Big difference in sound without them. I read somewhere that James Taylor makes acrylic nails for himself now for the same reason.

In researching Pierre Bensusan and his potential use of the 2Mic model 7 (not 7Mic...) I have not found one in which he isn't using a conventional recording mic. But, I have enjoyed the sound of his Lowden guitars. Those are very nice.

Here's my favorite guitar recording ever. It's of an especially rare '96 Olson and the story of its manufacture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahn3twmYkQM

But the negative, of course, is when would you ever get off the couch to do something else?

Blog Entries

John,

Being 65 and a computer tech, I was always losing nails. I then tried "acrylic nails" and though this material did work, acrylic is very heavy and can actually damage the nail plate.

This lead to further research and I finally discovered "Gel" nails. Gel requires a trained technician - and you should ask to see the certification. Gel nails are non-invasive as are acrylic nails. Gel is also "softer" - if I can use this term. Pierre Bensusan uses Gel - as far as I know.

As a guitar instructor, alternative nails have helped numerous students to stop nail biting, with "dents" in the actual nail plate and even with split nail plates. What is also great about Gel - as it does not damage the nail plate - that after a few months you can remove the Gel and begin working with your real nails - if you so chose. I really like Gel for its overall durability as I do have the tendency to strike the strings with considerable energy. Also great for steel-strung guitars in minimizing nail wear.

If you are finger-style player, you should locate a technician and give Gel a serious look. I believe that you will be very glad that you did?

John,

Some good points there, John.

About cable lengths, as can be seen, the XLR cables are only 12" long. I then use TS cables that are 15' long.

Attachment 2974

About mics and pick-ups - over the years I have spent a few thousand dollars on various acoustic amplification systems - and none come close to the 2Mic.

Martin Tallstrom was the first guitarist to "turn my head" so-to-speak to the 2Mic.

Miniflex 2Mic model 2 - test on nylon stringed guitar
    First test of MiniFlex 2Mic model 1
    * It is particular interesting to here Martin perform "A White Shade of Pale" here. What a great arrangement!

The Taylor Expression System 2 is pretty good - much better than others - such as Fishman, B-Band, LR Baggs and even the Barbera Transducers.

Dave, my "techie" friend knows how particular I am with regards to sound integrity - and after some three-to-four hours of "tweaking, I believe that I have a sound representative of an acoustic. I would still love to put a 2Mic in there - but it is just not possible.
    Wow -- the 2mic sounds GREAT.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    Here's a nice A/B/C of a 2Mic, a stock piezo with one of the Fishman acoustic guitar modelers, and an actual mic - all using the same guitar. I think the 2Mic shines pretty brightly in this comparison although one might quibble about the mic placement. And the stock piezo demonstrates what Dave hates about acoustic guitar pickups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP56OuCCXuQ

I see they make a '7Mic' too that hasn't been treated to avoid live feedback. But, I can't find an example of it on YouTube. That one interests me a lot.
    Actually, I thought the pickups didn't sound so awful on this. My guess is that fingerpicking is more forgiving on piezos than pick picking (or maybe the modeling box is taking the "quawk" out). Still, I thought the upper midrange and bottom were lacking (presence and warmth, respectively) with the pickups. I liked the 2mic best, followed by the "one mic," though moving the mic around might've improved things. I think it's hard not to start to hear the room (in small rooms) when you mic an acoustic guitar, and that bugs me, too.

Yes, I'm easily bugged.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 05-10-2019 at 06:11 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    Is that it, do you think? Lack of finger nails? I'm not sure. But, I know what you mean about the effect of fingernails on the sound (particularly on steel strings). As I have gotten older my fingernails have gotten thinner and are not reliable for any length of time anymore (I'm a finger stylist). Big difference in sound without them. I read somewhere that James Taylor makes acrylic nails for himself now for the same reason.

In researching Pierre Bensusan and his potential use of the 2Mic model 7 (not 7Mic...) I have not found one in which he isn't using a conventional recording mic. But, I have enjoyed the sound of his Lowden guitars. Those are very nice.

Here's my favorite guitar recording ever. It's of an especially rare '96 Olson and the story of its manufacture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahn3twmYkQM

But the negative, of course, is when would you ever get off the couch to do something else?
    What a great video. Love this guy. Love his laugh. And that sustain. I imagine he's got a compressor on there or something, but still...
    Becket, Massachusetts

John,

Being 65 and a computer tech, I was always losing nails. I then tried "acrylic nails" and though this material did work, acrylic is very heavy and can actually damage the nail plate.

This lead to further research and I finally discovered "Gel" nails. Gel requires a trained technician - and you should ask to see the certification. Gel nails are non-invasive as are acrylic nails. Gel is also "softer" - if I can use this term. Pierre Bensusan uses Gel - as far as I know.

As a guitar instructor, alternative nails have helped numerous students to stop nail biting, with "dents" in the actual nail plate and even with split nail plates. What is also great about Gel - as it does not damage the nail plate - that after a few months you can remove the Gel and begin working with your real nails - if you so chose. I really like Gel for its overall durability as I do have the tendency to strike the strings with considerable energy. Also great for steel-strung guitars in minimizing nail wear.

If you are finger-style player, you should locate a technician and give Gel a serious look. I believe that you will be very glad that you did?
    Does this mean that ping-pong balls and super glue are passé?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    What a great video. Love this guy. Love his laugh. And that sustain. I imagine he's got a compressor on there or something, but still...
    Yeah, maybe so. But, if you listen to the relative volume of that guitar and his voice - that git-fiddle's got some serious lungs, which should help with the sustain. And it also has incredible dynamics right across the frequency range...

Ever since I heard him play it I've wanted one like it. But, when I found out what one just in that general vicinity costs - then I also wanted the neck to match my Parker (i.e.: be perfect) and that would necessitate having one made from scratch, and I'd have to choose what woods would be in my perfect instrument, and then it turns out that Mr. Olson has a waiting list that goes back at least a year and is trying to slow down these days besides now. Anyway... I'm still in planning mode here about that over a year later.

Still - they are very nice guitars, those Olsons. Nice enough to make you seriously consider doing crazy things.