Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't Assign ADAT interfaces above 9 from RME Firefce UFX in Studio64 & Lite32

I thought this was a SAWStudio64 issue, so I posted yesterday in the bug thread, but now I realize it is a general problem on my system with the latest versions of both SAWStudioLite32 and SAWStudio64. I cannot assign ADAT 11, 13 or 15, either as inputs or outputs. When I try I get a "WARNING!" dialog, with the message: "You Can Not Select The Same Driver For Two Different Devices!" and a single "OK" button. Pressing the button causes the assignment to reset to what it was before I tried to assign it. Strangely, I can assign ADAT 9, both in and out, which is the first pair from the second ADAT interface, but none of the remaining pairs from that interface work.

I have verified that ADAT 2 is set to ADAT format in the RME driver and that none of the RME devices are used by Windoze as defaults for sound or communications, etc. I have tried rebooting Windoze (full shutdown and restart) between using the 64 and 32 bit versions of SAW but it makes no difference. I cannot see anything inside or outside of SAWStudio that is using these devices.

I thought I had verified all of the ADAT interfaces at one point, but I may be mistaken and that would have been with a previous version (5+ years ago) of SAWStudioLite32 in any case. I'm not sure I NEED the last 3 pairs of ADAT inputs (I guess I've been getting along fine without them 8^), but I'd like to understand what is going on and fix it if I can.

Can anyone suggest anything further I should check? My studio has no Internet and it can be a couple of days between opportunities to try things, but I am all out of ideas and open to suggestions. Also, can someone with Fireface UFX (or a Babyface - I think it is the same driver) verify that they can assign the last 3 ADAT interfaces (11, 13 and 15) from the second ADAT, in case this is not just me?

Regards,
    John

Default Re: Can't Assign ADAT interfaces above 9 from RME Firefce UFX in Studio64 & Lite32

you error message is stating that some other application is already using those ADAT channels.

What other software is running on the system?

are you using something like ASIO for all?
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Default Re: Can't Assign ADAT interfaces above 9 from RME Firefce UFX in Studio64 & Lite32

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    you error message is stating that some other application is already using those ADAT channels.

What other software is running on the system?

are you using something like ASIO for all?
    Thanks for the suggestions, although I think I've ruled them all out. I understand what the message is saying, I'm just at a loss to think what would be using those channels.

AFAIK, nothing else is running. I tried rebooting and starting SAWStudio immediately after the system is running and I still have the issue. I'm not using ASIOForAll or anything like that - just the RME drivers, WIndows 7 and SAW. I made sure Windows was not grabbing them as default devices for anything and, as far as I know, there are no other audio device assignments within SAWStudio itself. I forgot to check the process list to see what other programs are running - I will do that next chance I get, probably Tuesday evening. The machine has no Internet connection (there isn't even Internet service to the building it is in) and I went through all the tweaks when I set it up.

If you have any other ideas, please don't hesitate to bring them up - as I said, I'd really like to understand and solve this if I can. I'd also like to repeat my request for someone else with a Fireface (or Babyface) to confirm that this isn't an issue with RME interfaces in general.

Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jcgriggs View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, although I think I've ruled them all out. I understand what the message is saying, I'm just at a loss to think what would be using those channels.

If you have any other ideas, please don't hesitate to bring them up - as I said, I'd really like to understand and solve this if I can. I'd also like to repeat my request for someone else with a Fireface (or Babyface) to confirm that this isn't an issue with RME interfaces in general.

Thanks,
    John
    I't would be incredibly unlikely that its an issue with any RME device, they just don't generally have those sorts of issues.

If you open TotalMix do you see all of the input channels?

Also make sure you have ASIO drivers selected in SAW. (I'm sure you've looked at that already, but just in case)

You might want to try and reload the RME drivers, although not likely to be an issue.
    Philip G.

I would also check that there is only one clock for the entire system and that all of the devices are correctly syncing to it.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    I would also check that there is only one clock for the entire system and that all of the devices are correctly syncing to it.
    Everything clocks via word clock from a single source. The RME is confirming WordClock and ADAT sync (for both ADAT interfaces) - those lights were the first thing I looked at!

Thanks,
    John

I't would be incredibly unlikely that its an issue with any RME device, they just don't generally have those sorts of issues.

If you open TotalMix do you see all of the input channels?

Also make sure you have ASIO drivers selected in SAW. (I'm sure you've looked at that already, but just in case)

You might want to try and reload the RME drivers, although not likely to be an issue.
    Everything looks fine in TotalMix and I definitely have the ASIO driver for the RME selected. I am able to assign (and use) all of the Analog Ins and Outs, all of the pairs from the first ADAT interface and the first pair from the second ADAT interface and they work fine.

I was already thinking I'd try re-installing the RME drivers (actually, updating to the latest - I'm sure the drivers I have are at least a year old), but the studio is at a remote location with no Internet, so I doubt I'll get a chance to try that before next weekend. I'll definitely update this thread with the results of that when I get the chance to try it.

Thanks,
    John

OK. Solved it. Upgrading to the latest SAWStudioLite32 and SAWStudio64 and the latest RME drivers and firmware did not fix my problem. Then, on a whim, I cleared the device assignment dialog with the Reset button and then I was able to assign all of the ADAT interfaces. Hopefully this will help someone who finds themselves stuck in the same corner in the future.

Regards,
    John

Everything looks fine in TotalMix and I definitely have the ASIO driver for the RME selected. I am able to assign (and use) all of the Analog Ins and Outs, all of the pairs from the first ADAT interface and the first pair from the second ADAT interface and they work fine.

I was already thinking I'd try re-installing the RME drivers (actually, updating to the latest - I'm sure the drivers I have are at least a year old), but the studio is at a remote location with no Internet, so I doubt I'll get a chance to try that before next weekend. I'll definitely update this thread with the results of that when I get the chance to try it.

Thanks,
    John

OK. Solved it. Upgrading to the latest SAWStudioLite32 and SAWStudio64 and the latest RME drivers and firmware did not fix my problem. Then, on a whim, I cleared the device assignment dialog with the Reset button and then I was able to assign all of the ADAT interfaces. Hopefully this will help someone who finds themselves stuck in the same corner in the future.

Regards,
    John
    Hi John, glad you got it sorted. Always frustrating when things don't seem to work the way you expect.
    Philip G.

Hi John, glad you got it sorted. Always frustrating when things don't seem to work the way you expect.
    Thanks. I always figured this was going to be a configuration issue specific to my system of some sort, so it wasn't that frustrating, but I AM glad to get it solved and hopefully save the next person some time.

Regards,
    John