Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: SAWStudio new version release finally cracks Win 7, 8 and 10 performance bogdown.

Bob, This is so great to hear!!
    I'm hoping to have time in the next few days to try it out!
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Default Re: SAWStudio new version release finally cracks Win 7, 8 and 10 performance bogdown.

Wow! Thanks Bob, this is indeed wonderful news.
    Your continued efforts are very much appreciated.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Bob wrote... "Finally... after a few years of searching and trying all kinds of code changes to match the performance and stability achieved in XP within Win 7, 8 and 10... I stumbled across some modifications that get the job done."

This is indeed great news Bob!...without giving your trade secrets can you give us specifically(in layman's terms), what modifications you did? Did you isolate SAW(SAC) further from Windows...did you integrate more in Windows?...that is how did you get around the memory problems?...etc. In windows 7 and 8, you suggest using XP comparability mode...with the new changes, does it really matter?

I've never really experienced any major performance issues with SAWStudio...even in windows 7....it could be because I don't use SAC...my system really doesn't change...I've never recorded more that 12 or so inputs at once, and issues were usually solved via computer configuration, and or driver updates...so I will be interested to test the new version.
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

The major slowdown with the shared memory functions ended up having everything to do with a single variable flag... one that by its name would suggest improved performance when used... in XP, that is exactly how it worked... in Win 7, 8 and 10... the opposite... I have no idea why... or what was changed since XP to cause this behavior... but removing that one flag in calling the shared memory functions opened everything up performance wise...

The other major fix was mentioned as the bug in the code that actually caused an overrun in some variable arrays under certain conditions... this seemed to be responsible for a handful of random appearing quirks that were pretty impossible to trackdown... but the combination of these few changes make this update an important one.

Bob L

Thanks Bob for the explanation...if I understand the upgrade it greatly improves the priority levels of Windows?
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

Bob - Thanks so much for your continued excellent work on SAWStudio! Greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
    Steve Berson