Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: SAC new version release finally cracks Win 7, 8 and 10 performance bogdown.

Thank you!

Default Re: SAC new version release finally cracks Win 7, 8 and 10 performance bogdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Actually... I have always recommended using two cores... this way the display elements were separated from the engine audio processing elements.

With these new versions, we have been leaving all cores active so far and receiving pretty good results... the main engine thread still seems to avoid being stepped on as long as you use the realtime priority option in SAC.

Still observing with these new setups, so we'll see how it all settles in the near future.

Bob L
    Bob.... so to be clear, should we also turn 'Off' the "Force Single CPU" in the options menu?
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Each setup is different... the options exist so you can fine tune each system... some systems will be fine using 4, 6 or 8 cores... others will do better with one or two cores.

All you can do is try the different options while stressing your system with loaded down sessions and see what combination of settings gives you the best results.

Bob L

Great work - thank you Bob
    Denis Hillman
    Queensland
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    I have been following the discussions here about the Win 10 Enterprise LTSB and LTSC versions and have jumped on with great results... my newest systems are all now using the Win 10 LTSC versions, and even with the large mass of background processes, seem to be achieving XP level of performance and stability.
    Bob, honestly I'd really like to know how you set up the LTSC systems so that it's as stable and free of slipped buffers as we know it from the XP installation.
    What do you do differently from us?
    I followed all the tweaks from the helpfile. But there are between 250 and over 600 slipped buffers over a period of 5-6 hours. Not as long as I sit in front of it, but during the time the system "plays alone".

Walter
    SAC Host: i5-660, 3.33GHz, 12GB RAM, Win10 LTSC, (2) RayDAT, (3) Behringer ADA8000 modded, (4) Behringer ADA8200, 26" TFT

Blog Entries

kabelwalter,

A few things....

1. Can you send us your general system specs, Mobo, CPU, RAM and I/O should do.

2. On all of my testing with WIN10 LTSC, for the most part, all that I have done are three main things:

a) Enabled Force Single CPU
    b) Force RealTime Priority Class
    c) System Properties > Advanced > Settings > i) Enable only, Show shadows under mouse pointer, ii) Smooth edges of screen fonts, and iii) Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop

...and this is pretty much that!

The SAC64 User Manual v1.1, 3.1.6 Tweaking Windows For Better Performance, Page 18, 25 to 35 has more tweaking information for you to consider - which look to be already completed by you?

Lastly, to have that many slipped buffers indicates to me that there is something else going on.

PS: Can you email me a snapshot of your desktop please? email_me

Quote Originally Posted by kabelwalter View Post
    Bob, honestly I'd really like to know how you set up the LTSC systems so that it's as stable and free of slipped buffers as we know it from the XP installation.
    What do you do differently from us?
    I followed all the tweaks from the helpfile. But there are between 250 and over 600 slipped buffers over a period of 5-6 hours. Not as long as I sit in front of it, but during the time the system "plays alone".

Walter
    Do you have the screen saver or screen blanking running. If so, that process will stomp all over the audio engine.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Win 10 is definitely not as stable and solid for realtime usage as XP... but its all we have at this time... it is definitely a challenge to keep it from randomly sipping buffers because there sre so many background processes interfering all the time.

Many factors are involved... including the motherboard chipsets... the video drivers involved... the soundcards... the software installed on the system besides SAC and SAWStudio... etc...

It can get the job done... but not as easily as an XP system.

Bob L

For me, as long as I can source the hardware, it's xp for live sound. I find windows 10 great for home and office but for live sound work it's xp. I just find it less complicated and it feels safer. It kinda never misses a beat, but, I guess, each to their own.

I watched the overview for the new Behringer WING mixer. Their engineer referred to their "realtime OS" inside the mixer. It's too bad that Microsoft can't have some setting or settings that can reconfigure Windows to operate as a "realtime OS" for audio, video and gaming applications vs. mining for various esoteric hidden tweaks.