Close

Thread: ASIO Restart

Default ASIO Restart

Hi
    while changing my setup to a Dante(r) based system using a Yamaha AIC-128D I noticed that SAC seems to start ASIO I/O in different ways.
    On the first start of the engine I see a SAC window showing up for a very short time ( I think it read something like AIO I/O reset) and anything is working fine.
    But when I stop the engine and start it again, SAC indicates everything is okay, but the load - display remains on 0% (compared with 35% on the first start).
    As soon as I open and close the ASIO control panel (without changing anything) while the engine is not running, it will start nicely on the next start (but only once).
    I've seen this with 45, 46 and the most current SAC64 demo.
    So I assume that SAC performs a 'warm start' of the ASIO drivers when you restart the engine but a 'cold start' at the first start or after accessing the audio driver section.
    It would be nice to have an 'always reset ASIO driver' option as a workaround.

Regards

Tomy
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

Blog Entries

Default Re: ASIO Restart

Tomy,

Does this help?:

"Asio Driver Setup
    This option allows access to the ASIO Driver Control Panel settings if the driver supports that option. If any driver settings are adjusted, SAC will automatically reinitialize the driver link and reset all applicable data buffer settings. If settings are changed, some ASIO drivers will only issue a reset request once the engine is started. In this case, SAC will handle the re-initialization at that time and there will be slight delay before data streaming begins."

I used to use a configuration of "Mixer > SampleRate > 44100 and Mixer > Resolution > 16bit". Then I changed to "Mixer > SampleRate > 48000 and Mixer > Resolution > 24bit". Not so much with the Resolution settings, but when I loaded a Session .edl that was saved at 44100, I would then see the "ASIO Driver Reset" dialog appear. Once the Session was re-saved, I never saw that dialog again.

I hope this helps?

Many (or all) of the Dante hardware cards seem to have followed the protocol of de-allocating their ASIO buffer memory if the engine is ever stopped... this, in my opinion is a ridiculous concept... the Dante Virtual Soundcard does not have this problem... it behaves as every other soundcard ASIO driver does and holds onto the buffers until the shutdown command is issued... starting and stopping the engine and shutting down the engine are two different things.

But... no matter how many times I have complained to the Dante community, I seem to always be ignored... so I may just have to do something like suggested here and include an option to always force a complete ASIO reset (new buffer allocations) with each engine start and stop to get around this issue.

I am looking into the concept.

Bob L

Blog Entries

Bob,
    But... no matter how many times I have complained to the Dante community, I seem to always be ignored...
    ... This does not make any sense whatsoever.

I had the same issue with the UMC404HD. I contacted Behringer and within a day, I had a fix. So, Dante owners should contact Dante and find out what is going on. And like you stated, Bob, "this s a ridiculous concept".

Hi Bob
    thanks for your reply. I'd at least expect the driver to send a reset_request in that case...

By the way setting the buffer size to 2048 crashes SAC as soon as I click on start engine. But who will ever use a buffer size of 2048... 1024 and below works fine.
    And, as I've reported before, the Frequency Analyzer is acting much too fast on my machine. The extra slow setting updates as I'd expect from very fast... :-)
    Last edited by TomyN; 06-01-2019 at 07:31 AM.

Well all Dante H/W cards for PCIe seemed to be OEM cards build by audinate.

That's what I imagined... so they all probably use the same driver... with the same behavior.

What's funny though is that the Audinate Virtual SoundCard driver does it correctly... probably written by different staff.

Bob L