Close

Blog Entries

Default Working with SS and MWS

Good day,

I have been a Cubase user for many, many years going back to Steinberg Pro 24 for Atari. Going through the various iterations of both Cubase and Cakewalk - I preferred the overall look of Cubase. Also, I did find working with MIDI much more efficient in Cubase that I did with Cakewalk - even though now I do not remember just what those significant differences were.

In particular, I love working with sampled Pipe Organs and I have a number of 4 to 9 channel MIDI files that I work with on a regular basis. My library of choice is the "Hauptwerk" organ - which apparently is the same one that Hans Zimmer uses. Hans Zimmer also uses Cubase as his main DAW - even though he does use Logic as well.

Anyhow, I had over 60 MIDI files that I needed to update from my Cubase days to the SS/MWS environment - and I thought that I would share with you my discoveries.

After a few days of getting acquainted with working with Cubase, I then took the un-edited MIDI files and re-arranged these in Cubase. I then performed a similar operation in SS/MWS.

Now, I am not too sure if what I am about to say makes any sense, but from a pure "data handling" perspective, I can work more efficiently - which also means "quicker", in SS/MWS than I was able to do working with Cubase.

Here are my "takes" - all of which to me are just a few examples of the plain-and-simple "brilliant-ness" of this software suite:

1. Being able to create dedicated F-Key environments.
    * I like to work with F-Keys 1 through 6, and I use three different F-Key configurations - depending on just what it is that I am doing at that time.
    2. Working with a dedicated .edl_mws file allows me to focus all of my attention on just the MIDI aspect of what I am working on at that time. This permits me to create F-Key environment solely for use with MWS.
    3. Being able to separate MIDI Data from Controller Data is nothing short of "brilliant". I can still remember the first time I encountered this functionality - and in all honesty, I did not care for it at all. However, I have since repented of this, and wonder how it is possible not to work in this manner. Brilliant!
    4. Having MWS as an "add-on" is also nothing short of brilliant as it keeps the audio aspect of SAW separate-though-not from the MIDI aspect of MWS. Being able to render and entire MIDI performance to audio is one pass is also a great feature-set.
    5. Thought I "got used to" the piano roll aspect of Cubase, I now find the use of the piano roll actually "distracting" and now prefer the more "data-oriented" view and approach of MWS. Having the keyboard in close proximity at all times makes pitch, duration and velocity management very efficient indeed.
    6. Working with the "Value" functionality is a great feature set - in particular, the Controller Value [Menu] - Offset option and the Controller Value [Menu] ***8211; Scale % option. Both of these options allow me to select specific MIDI tracks - adjusting these tracks either by an offset or a scales percentage when compared with other tracks.
    7. I think that having the plug-in working independently from MIDI is also a great idea. I mean, if I know just how KONTAKT is configured at any particular time, then when I am working with MWS data, I really do not need to be at all concerned about what is going with KONTAKT do I?
    8. In a number of orchestral forums, I have heard many "complain" about the 128 track limit of MWS and I really-and-truly do not understand why this would be considered as a "limitation". I mean, even in a large orchestra with over 60 parts - that leaves some 68 tracks free. I believe my largest re-arrangements involved the use of 31 tracks.
    9. Though I use the Control Track in my live electric guitar performances for triggering Overloud TH-U presets, I have yet to use the Control track for triggering MIDI data. This will be something that I will be looking into however. The point is, having the ability to use the Control Track is a great feature set.
    10. However, I do use Show Control for both my live performances and for my Pipe Organ and orchestra re-arrangements and wonder how I could ever work without the use of Show Control.
    11. I often use a single piano MIDI file for re-arranging for a 5-track Pipe Organ. I will mark our the intros/outros, verses and choruses and cut-'n-paste the various parts where needed. Being able to work with MWS from a pure data-handling perspective makes for very efficient workflow.

In closing, I hope that you found my ranting-on here of some practicable benefit. It would be interesting for someone like Hans Zimmer to be able to work with Bob's software. In particular, the way in which Mr. Zimmer uses technology as a means to end is a sign of true genius - and therefore, I sincerely believe that he would be right at home with Bob's software. Pardon the pun, but having Mr. Zimmer working with Bob's software would be a serious "Hans-on experience"!

I would love to hear from other Midi WorkShopper's about your experiences.

And to you, Bob...

"To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men that is genius." Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Last edited by mr_es335; 06-02-2019 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Update

Blog Entries

Default Re: Working with SS and MWS

Nice rant ;-)

Once you get used to the piano roll up top looking like a piano and that there are no lines for each note you soon will start using your ears and once this happens writing/recording midi data is very fast.

Blog Entries

Good day,

I would really be interested in knowing who here works with MWS on a regular basis - more specifically for re-arranging and orchestration.

So, let me know!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Good day,

I would really be interested in knowing who here works with MWS on a regular basis - more specifically for re-arranging and orchestration.

So, let me know!
    I use it all the time.