Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Antelope Orion 32+ Interface

Has anyone tried an Antelope Orion 32+ interface with SAC or SAW? I am considering switching to this as my main interface. I can run various combinations of preamps for live and studio use and have a modular setup that lives in my studio, but can also do live sound/recording gigs. I am looking for anyone's feedback or experience with these units.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Antelope Orion 32+ Interface

Hello,

I did demo this unit for a few weeks ... great unit, absolutely wonderful support, knowledge staff - just a bit too pricey for me.

This would be my "other" option - if RME was not available.

Then again, you can purchase quite a number of ADA's for the price of a single Orion I/O.

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrow View Post
    Has anyone tried an Antelope Orion 32+ interface with SAC or SAW? I am considering switching to this as my main interface. I can run various combinations of preamps for live and studio use and have a modular setup that lives in my studio, but can also do live sound/recording gigs. I am looking for anyone's feedback or experience with these units.
    No experience with this unit, but curious what you would be using as mic pre's?
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Hello,

Forgive me, I was actually referring to the Orion32 HD!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

Forgive me, I was actually referring to the Orion32 HD!
    still only a line-level converter with no mic pre-amps, so what would you be driving this converter box with?
    Philip G.

I have the Focusrite OctoPre Dynamic 8ch units I use with my current RayDAT setup. I also have Phoenix DRS-8, Warm Audio WA-412, Neve Shelford Channel and a few others. For live sound I could just use the Focusrite units, as I have been for the past several years and/or have the flexibility to add the premium pres as wanted or desired. In the studio I could use whatever. I would basically be using the Orion 32+ instead of the existing RayDAT card and adding the flexibility of using a selection of preamps that I already own.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

I did demo this unit for a few weeks ... great unit, absolutely wonderful support, knowledge staff - just a bit too pricey for me.

This would be my "other" option - if RME was not available.

Then again, you can purchase quite a number of ADA's for the price of a single Orion I/O.
    You would still have to have a RayDAT card or similar to connect the ADA's. I am considering using the Orion 32+, because it can connect to my studio computer or connect to my notebook computer (or other live computer) for live gigs. I can only operate one at a time and this would standardized my setups for live and studio, while allowing me the flexibility of using a variety of preamps. I already have to use the Focusrite Octopres anyway. With the Orion 32+ I could mix and match better preamps or just use what I was already using. It looks like the Orion 32+ works with USB or Thunderbolt. If I upgrade to one or more Thunderbolt computers it would all work together still and with lower latency. My only concern is that not many people seem to have any experience or feedback with the Orion 32+, so I am not inclined to be a guinea pig for a bleeding edge product.

Blog Entries

dbarrow,

As I noted, the support for Orion is impeccable. As I was having issues - and they were not at all familiar with RML software - they are now however, they spent considerable time and getting me "up-and-running".

It was some time ago, but I believe the issues wee more to do with understanding the software and nothing at all to do with the hardware or device drivers and such.

I would suggest calling them - and getting their pre-sales advice.

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrow View Post
    I have the Focusrite OctoPre Dynamic 8ch units I use with my current RayDAT setup. I also have Phoenix DRS-8, Warm Audio WA-412, Neve Shelford Channel and a few others. For live sound I could just use the Focusrite units, as I have been for the past several years and/or have the flexibility to add the premium pres as wanted or desired. In the studio I could use whatever. I would basically be using the Orion 32+ instead of the existing RayDAT card and adding the flexibility of using a selection of preamps that I already own.
    You would of coarse be limited to 16 channels with the OctoPre's, as there are only two ADAT channels on the Orion. You would also not be using the Orion A/D converters at that point either, as that would have already happened in the Octo.

Seems like a really expensive solution if you don't have 16+ channels of Pre's to connect to it.
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    You would of coarse be limited to 16 channels with the OctoPre's, as there are only two ADAT channels on the Orion. You would also not be using the Orion A/D converters at that point either, as that would have already happened in the Octo.

Seems like a really expensive solution if you don't have 16+ channels of Pre's to connect to it.
    The OctoPres can be switched to analog line out from their preamps. I already have 6 of those (48 channels) and lots of other preamps: Phoenix DRS-8, Neve Shelford channel, Warm Audio WA-412, Summit, etc. The D-sub connectors on the Orion 32+ have 32 analog inputs. I could sell my RayDAT card and RME Fireface USB and pay for the Orion and still have money left over.