Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help With Pinouts?

I'm building a new machine to do SAW/SAC 64. I bought an ASUS Prime B360M-A motherboard for it. So, I'm building along: install flimsy ASUS rear panel bezel, screw with bezel - install again, screw with bezel - install again, install MB, install processor, install processor cooler, install RAM, plug in power connectors, wrench on fans, plug in USB - so far so good. Next - connect case front panel wires (power switch, disk light, etc, etc) to MB. That'll require pinouts for which goes where. Check manual...

Wait... what?! ASUS doesn't list pinouts in the manual anymore?! Instead they've got one of those square mobile phone things you're supposed to scan with your phone and that will reveal the pinouts on your phone. But, I don't buy service for my cell phone unless I'm going to travel. Privacy, et. al. So - I can't do that without re-upping my service.

Anybody who has a Prime B360M-A motherboard have pinouts for it that they're willing to share?

Default Re: Help With Pinouts?

Thanks Dom!

I haven't used it yet - but it at least looks as if it must be just what I'm looking for (if more comprehensive). I looked for something like that on the web by Googling - but never found anything close. How did you find it? Is that what the cryptic black square resolves to?

Back to PC wrenching... Onward! Onward! Excelsior!

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow;217476

Wait... [I
    what[/I]?! ASUS doesn't list pinouts in the manual anymore?! Instead they've got one of those square mobile phone things you're supposed to scan with your phone and that will reveal the pinouts on your phone. But, I don't buy service for my cell phone unless I'm going to travel. Privacy, et. al. So - I can't do that without re-upping my service.
    I use a smartphone without service as a WiFi only device. I can use all the apps and make and recieve VOiP calls through WiFi. I even use Offline Maps as a GPS in the car.
    It is a good option on trusted networks.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    I use a smartphone without service as a WiFi only device. I can use all the apps and make and recieve VOiP calls through WiFi. I even use Offline Maps as a GPS in the car.
    Well, that's good intel. I didn't think of that and I'll have to try it. I wouldn't exactly call my cable box a 'trusted' network, exactly. But, it's not an airport either. And, for that matter, in a pinch I could use it with Tor - which I have installed on the phone. Thanks, Angie!

John, I just downloaded the main manual for that board from the ASUS site, found the q-code, took a screenshot (which I saved to my photo album on my phone), launched my q-reader and it lets you import a photo rather than scan with a camera. It just launched my browser and I copied and pasted the link into the forum. All done on WiFi, as per Angie’s approach. Of course, Apple and Google know where all the WiFi networks are for geolocation purposes, so your phone can still tell people where it is, even if you don’t connect it to a cellular network. It depends on how paranoid you want to be! But that’s a whole other conversation.
    I can see a-codes being helpful but I also don’t see why they occupant have published the actual web address too.

Hope it helps!

Dominic
    Last edited by DominicPerry; 06-10-2019 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Angie,
    Which VOiP program do you use?
    Thanks,
    Richard
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Quote Originally Posted by DominicPerry View Post
    John, I just downloaded the main manual for that board from the ASUS site, found the q-code, took a screenshot (which I saved to my photo album on my phone), launched my q-reader and it lets you import a photo rather than scan with a camera. It just launched my browser and I copied and pasted the link into the forum. All done on WiFi, as per Angie's approach. Of course, Apple and Google know where all the WiFi networks are for geolocation purposes, so your phone can still tell people where it is, even if you don't connect it to a cellular network. It depends on how paranoid you want to be! But that's a whole other conversation.
    I can see a-codes being helpful but I also don't see why they occupant have published the actual web address too.

Hope it helps!

Dominic
    It helped a lot, Dom. And you went through a great deal of trouble to get those for me. Thanks again!

I agree with you that it's weird that they do it this way. Sometimes it seems to me that they put little puzzles in your way that you have to solve in order to move forward - just to make it more challenging. They're probably big gamers.

On phone fu: my feeling is that when you're not using a phone network, Apple and Google rely upon IP to both locate you and know what you're up to. If you use a VPN then they know you use a VPN and that's all.

Well... I say that - but it's a little outdated. Everybody's phone is setup a little differently: fonts, aps, etc, etc. It's like a fingerprint that you expose whenever you land somewhere. They don't necessarily know it's me, but they know that my fingerprint went here, then there... If I get on the network temporarily to geo-locate then my identity is associated with my fingerprint too and from then on they know it's me. Apple and Google aren't really the ones I worry about because they don't sell personal data. Some of the others who don't show up in the news do though - some deliberately and some when they're not actually trying to.

At the moment they only use it to sell ads and influence elections. But, as a former database programmer I know that, unlike code: data is forever. You get that instilled in you. The thing that worries me the most is combining the current collection of what everybody's phone is doing every moment and AI. That isn't really ripe yet - but it's just around the corner. By limiting what they collect on me now, I'm trying to take care of tomorrow rather than today. Whatever I can do to limit my exposure until laws catch up and turn off that spigot - the better.
    Last edited by John Ludlow; 06-11-2019 at 09:03 AM. Reason: restoring Dom's apostrophes

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    At the moment they only use it to sell ads and influence elections. But, as a former database programmer I know that, unlike code: data is forever. You get that instilled in you. The thing that worries me the most is combining the current collection of what everybody's phone is doing every moment and AI. That isn't really ripe yet - but it's just around the corner. By limiting what they collect on me now, I'm trying to take care of tomorrow rather than today. Whatever I can do to limit my exposure until laws catch up and turn off that spigot - the better.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks about this stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    Angie,
    Which VOiP program do you use?
    Thanks,
    Richard
    MagicJack. Been using one for my business line for over 10 years. I just started using the app.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com