Close

Default "Mix" parameter on channel compressor and/or Levelizer

What about adding a "mix" parameter to the built-in channel compressor and/or Levelizer, so there could be inline parallel compression vs. sending out to a bus? Also, does anyone have any VST plugin suggestions for comp/limiter plugins that already include this feature? I am not a huge Behringer/Midas X32 fan, but I use these frequently in other clubs, with outer bands, etc. and I noticed that somewhere along the way they added a "mix" parameter to the onboard compressors. I can squash the channel or bus, but then only mix in a fraction of the squashed version to get inline parallel compression.

Default Re: "Mix" parameter on channel compressor and/or Levelizer

I'm looking into that idea... but in the meantime...

Try This...

You can do parallel compression with SAC unlike anywhere else... use one or more monitor mixers for the squashed signals.... then assign the master outs on that mixer back to the same device outs as the FOH. This gives you all kinds of varying ways to compress... over eq... etc and then blend those signals right back into the main mix... you can do multiple layers of parallel compress, eq, etc. without any crazy double chan assigning or routing... its a whole new experience. Each chan has 24 copies of itself on the monitor mixers and those mixer outputs can be assigned to duplicate device outs which then internally mix together as if they are being blended through an extra mixing circuit.

Bob L

Thanks. I had done this before. I think you actually told me this one a few years ago. The way I typically do it is to have a parallel compression bus or even a copied channel that has the squashed compression on it. I have even done this with parallel saturation/distortion. I mentioned the mix parameter, because I had seen it around elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrow View Post
    What about adding a "mix" parameter to the built-in channel compressor and/or Levelizer, so there could be inline parallel compression vs. sending out to a bus? Also, does anyone have any VST plugin suggestions for comp/limiter plugins that already include this feature? I am not a huge Behringer/Midas X32 fan, but I use these frequently in other clubs, with outer bands, etc. and I noticed that somewhere along the way they added a "mix" parameter to the onboard compressors. I can squash the channel or bus, but then only mix in a fraction of the squashed version to get inline parallel compression.
    Not great for SAC I guess, but UAD's Precision Maximizer and Buss Compressor each have a mix knob.

The free TDR Nova Multiband EQ/compressor has a mix knob. It's pretty low latency, I think.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 06-13-2019 at 03:25 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts