Close

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: SAC SYSTEM BUILD QUESTIONS

I wound up going with the following:

Noctua NH-D15, Premium CPU Cooler

ASUS Prime B360 Plus LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.9 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 300 Series

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz

SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. SSD

SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.@ 2280 1TB SSD

Rosewill ARC Series 750W 80 Power Supply

Windows 10 ENT LTSC 64bit

Still tweaking it but much faster then expected.
    It will be solid for about 10 minutes at 1/32 then output buffer run up after that, CPU load stays at around 10 all the time. With 16 ch running 4 mon and house. After increasing to 3/64 it settles down a bit. but I think my PCI bus is getting stepped on by something not sure. LatencyMon show its fine as does resource Mon. Been using process lasso with SAC and RME set to 4-7 Cores and all system processes set to 0-3.
    I disabled CPU C-States and stepping as well as other bios settings but still it will run up output buffers after 10 mins SAC inputs will remain functional but output dies.

Anyone with any ideas?
    Kinda freaking out here.

Thanks
    Warren
    Warren @ The Masters Tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    It will be solid for about 10 minutes at 1/32 then output buffer run up after that, CPU load stays at around 10 all the time. With 16 ch running 4 mon and house. After increasing to 3/64 it settles down a bit. but I think my PCI bus is getting stepped on by something not sure. LatencyMon show its fine as does resource Mon. Been using process lasso with SAC and RME set to 4-7 Cores and all system processes set to 0-3.
    I disabled CPU C-States and stepping as well as other bios settings but still it will run up output buffers after 10 mins SAC inputs will remain functional but output dies.
    1. The extra buffers at the front of the settings 1/ 2/ 3/ will not make any difference for slipped buffers, its the 2nd half of that number that will matter /32 /64.

The engine either has enough time to process the audio in its designated time slice or it doesn't. So for your purposes its 1/32, 1/64, 1/128. I haven't found any circumstance where adding extra buffers made any difference.

2. Make sure the screen saver isn't running and it doesn't matter what what screen saver you use, it will stomp on the audio engine. I have been trying to hunting down that issue for a while but have not yet found a way to make it behave. Actually I haven't even found a way to determine what process it is, as you can't view it locally through a process monitor. It may be possible to SSH into the machine and see what is running through a terminal, but you can't see it on the local machine, as the screen saver obviously blanks the screen.

3. Make sure hyper-threading is disabled in the BIOS.

4. You may want to reduce the number of assigned cores to 2 for SAC.

5. Make sure your elevating SAC to real-time priority (you can do that in process lasso)
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    1. The extra buffers at the front of the settings 1/ 2/ 3/ will not make any difference for slipped buffers, its the 2nd half of that number that will matter /32 /64.

The engine either has enough time to process the audio in its designated time slice or it doesn't. So for your purposes its 1/32, 1/64, 1/128. I haven't found any circumstance where adding extra buffers made any difference.

2. Make sure the screen saver isn't running and it doesn't matter what what screen saver you use, it will stomp on the audio engine. I have been trying to hunting down that issue for a while but have not yet found a way to make it behave. Actually I haven't even found a way to determine what process it is, as you can't view it locally through a process monitor. It may be possible to SSH into the machine and see what is running through a terminal, but you can't see it on the local machine, as the screen saver obviously blanks the screen.

3. Make sure hyper-threading is disabled in the BIOS.

4. You may want to reduce the number of assigned cores to 2 for SAC.

5. Make sure your elevating SAC to real-time priority (you can do that in process lasso)
    I have done all of Bob's Tweaks, The MB does not support Hyperthreading, Screen Saver is disabled as is the onboard audio and NIC.
    I have been using SAC in HIGH Priority, I will again test in REAL-TIME
    My concern is this possibly an windows kernel issue, I have read on windows forums about audio issues caused by the kernel itself.
    If you make any headway on your system please let me know.
    I will keep banging on mine as well.

Thanks
    Warren

I have done all of Bob's Tweaks, The MB does not support Hyperthreading, Screen Saver is disabled as is the onboard audio and NIC.
    I have been using SAC in HIGH Priority, I will again test in REAL-TIME
    My concern is this possibly an windows kernel issue, I have read on windows forums about audio issues caused by the kernel itself.
    If you make any headway on your system please let me know.
    I will keep banging on mine as well.

Thanks
    Warren
    1. Why do you believe that the motherboard doesn't support hyper-threading? Is that stated somewhere in the docs? It should be a BIOS setting not a physical hardware limitation.

2. High Priority is insufficient. You need to run in Real-Time priority and if you try to set it directly in SAC you'll have to verify that it actually got to the correct priority setting by checking with Process Lasso. Its probably better just to force the priority setting with Process Lasso.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 07-10-2019 at 10:26 AM.
    Philip G.

Noctua NH-D15, Premium CPU Cooler

ASUS Prime B360 Plus LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.9 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 300 Series

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz

SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. SSD

SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.@ 2280 1TB SSD

Rosewill ARC Series 750W 80 Power Supply

Windows 10 ENT LTSC 64bit

Anyone with any ideas?
    Kinda freaking out here.

Thanks
    Warren
    Warren, you don't mention any SATA drives, but if you are using one additionally, make sure your m.2 drives and SATA drive aren't using the same PCIe lanes.

Also - that MB has a ROM update as of last late April that has to do with memory (although not specifically m.2). I think you should flash it on GP if you haven't already.

P.S. - I am almost ready to stress test my build as well. I'll report how it goes.
    Last edited by John Ludlow; 07-10-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    Warren, you don't mention any SATA drives, but if you are using one additionally, make sure your m.2 drives and SATA drive aren't using the same PCIe lanes.

Also - that MB has a ROM update as of last late April that has to do with memory (although not specifically m.2). I think you should flash it on GP if you haven't already.

P.S. - I am almost ready to stress test my build as well. I'll report how it goes.
    Hi John
    Just using SSD M2 and SATA is disabled in BIOS
    I am running the latest BIOS rom 1402
    I got better results when running in Real-Time
    I did also had to return one of the HDSP9652 cards as its SPDIF was dead and added greatly to my output buffer issues.
    I am hoping the new one wont load the system down further.

Thanks for your insight
    Its slow going but I am making progress thanks to Philip, Dell and yourself.

Warren

Hi John
    Thanks for your insight
    Its slow going but I am making progress thanks to Philip, Dell and yourself.
    You're welcome. But, I mostly defer to my esteemed colleagues for hardware expertise. They seem to have their finger on the current pulse. Book-theory is fine. But, there's nothing like having your greasy hands in the machine for insight.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    1. Why do you believe that the motherboard doesn't support hyper-threading? Is that stated somewhere in the docs? It should be a BIOS setting not a physical hardware limitation.

2. High Priority is insufficient. You need to run in Real-Time priority and if you try to set it directly in SAC you'll have to verify that it actually got to the correct priority setting by checking with Process Lasso. Its probably better just to force the priority setting with Process Lasso.
    Sorry getting back late, must of skipped posts.
    Bios states Hyper-Threading is "Not Supported" maybe the type of processor?
    Tried Real-Time Priority and it works much better.
    still have issues with second HDSP9652

Warren

Sorry getting back late, must of skipped posts.
    Bios states Hyper-Threading is "Not Supported" maybe the type of processor?
    Tried Real-Time Priority and it works much better.
    still have issues with second HDSP9652

Warren
    Odd that its not supported, but you've at least confirmed that its not on. You'd want to shut it off anyway, so you can check that off the list.

Sorry your having issues with the HDSP9652. RME stuff is generally very reliable. My studio system is configured with two of the same HDSP9652 cards and has been pretty much flawless.
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Good day,

As with the HDSP's, yet not so much an issue today...but maybe...just maybe, an IRQ conflict?