Close

Default Pop-up channel strip faders - behavior under Windows Remote Desktop

I have some experience using Windows' Remote Desktop to access multiple machines on a closed local network. I've been doing this here at the studio for a few years.

I've noticed that the pop-up expanded channel strip faders (for the EQ, Dynamics and Aux Sends) don't act quite the same as when those faders are activated on a local, direct interface (not over remote desktop). *To be clear, this is over Windows' own RDP... NOT anything to do with SAWStudio's proprietary remote protocol.

When accessed directly, the mouse pointer automatically jumps to the correct fader position, ready for you to make the adjustment. Over remote desktop, the mouse pointer instead jumps to a different fader position, often one extreme or another, and when you move the mouse, the fader value jumps to meet the mouse pointer instead. This can result in unexpected consequences.

It depends on the current/default value of the particular channel strip control, but adjusting the Aux Sends is a good example - using the long pop-out fader.

I don't even expect there is a solution to this but I thought I'd document it so it's a known issue for others. I'm posting it here because I don't consider it a 'bug'.

My solution is to not use those pop-out faders over remote desktop... Although every once in a while I forget and get a surprise.

In my case, this is Win7 Pro/WinXP Pro, over a closed gigabit network and all machines assigned static IP addresses. I have not tried VNC, Teamviewer or any other remote/screensharing applications.
    Last edited by Naturally Digital; 06-27-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Default Re: Pop-up channel strip faders - behavior under Windows Remote Desktop

Hi,
    are you're running the same resolution and size on both machines?
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

Default Re: Pop-up channel strip faders - behavior under Windows Remote Desktop

Quote Originally Posted by TomyN View Post
    Hi,
    are you're running the same resolution and size on both machines?
    Hi. Sometimes, not always... Often the machine running SAWStudio is headless.