Close

Blog Entries

Default SAWStudio and KONTAKT

Good day,

I just may be completely out of my depth here, but I just obtained an Arturia KeyLab Essential 61 and am endeavoring to get this keyboard to work with MWS and KONTAKT.

I guess my question is, "In MWS, will I be able to control the volume and pan of a KONTAKT instrument while hearing the playback of that KONTAKT instrument?"

I know that this works when using KONTAKT as a standalone - just have not been able to discover how to do this with SAW/MWS - if it is at all possible.

I would really appreciate someone's input here. Thanx!

Blog Entries

Default Re: SAWStudio and KONTAKT

In kontakt left click the volume and move the fader you want to control it. You can do this with any control in Kontakt.

Blog Entries

Good day,

A question ... both SS and MWS apparently provide MIDI functionality.

The question is, "Is SS/Options>Midi Device Setup independent of MWS/Options>Midi Device Setup?"

Blog Entries

Hello,

Okay...I have been able to get KONTAKT and MWS working together using a single instrument in "the Rack" assigned to MIDI Channel 1 - and with PAN and VOL functioning from the controller.

So far...so good!

Now, to get a second instrument in the rack to work on MIDI Channel 2.

Blog Entries

Hello,

Well, "Me here! Been having a whoop-dee-doo time here with my pals Myself and I!"

What I have discovered is that working with SS, MWS and VST's is - as someone so eloquently stated, "and for people coming from other platforms and software, the integration and operation of MWS has proven to be a little daunting. This is not to say difficult, just different."

...And how true this point is! This point has been evidenced in almost every conversation that I have had with others regarding RML Software and the "other" software - that RML Software is "way to difficult to learn" when really, "RML Software is just different."
    * Note: I have seven children and we have home-schooled them all. Three of my kids are musically gifted and two of them have learnt RML Software from the very beginning. The eldest of the musical bunch, had the opportunity of working with both Cubase and Reaper and it was very interesting to hear him say that he found both applications - in his own words, "inefficient"! Remarkable statement indeed!

So, working with RML Software is simply different. And this is certainly true here.

Adding a second instrument to KONTAKT'S Rack - and then controlling that instrument from MWS is very simple indeed:
    1) Insert an instrument into the Rack
    2) Select track 2
    3) Assign the correct Port and MIDI Channel to that track
    4) Configure MIDI learn for PAN and VOL on that instrument
    5) Enable [Live]
    6) ...and away you go!

The key it making this all work is to ensure that you have the MWS track selected that you want to control. For example, if I have six instruments, and I want to control instrument 5, simply select that track and all is well.

The last thing that I need to understand is - and this would be followed-up with a question, "With playback disabled, I can toggle between the various tracks to audition the instruments located on each of the tracks. However, when playback is initiated, only the track that was previously selected is heard - and therefore, toggling to the other tracks is ineffective.

So, the question then is "Any idea what this is occurring?"

Once playback/recording has started, the midi controller connected to the Midi Thru port is locked to the last track so that any recording process is not interrupted by causing the midi keyboard to switch midstream.

You are usually recording from one midi keyboard controller at a time... if that is not the case, then each track is assigned to a different midi keyboard and remains locked in that configuration until re-assigned.

Bob L

Blog Entries

Bob,

Got it!

I gather however, that a split would would/could work in such situations. - even though I really do not see myself ever doing so?

All that I can say is "Thank you"...what a great way to work.

PS: As the Arturai KeyLab Essential keyboard has DAW capabilities and two MIDI channels, I was able to assign SS to MIDI 2 IN/OUT and then was able to control playback start/stop as well. I must admit this little keyboard is quite versatile.

Blog Entries

I do not like kontakt and prefer just to load a VST on its own track IMHO much easier by far. But to each there own

Blog Entries

Microstudio,

You stated, "I do not like Kontakt..."...May I ask what is not to like?

...and then..."...and prefer just to load a VST on its own track IMHO much easier by far."...How is "loading a VST on its own track much easier by far" - actually easier? I can, and have, used single instances of KONTAKT - each with a single instrument, added to individual tracks. I believe the most I ever used was twelve instances.

and finally..."But to each there own."...and for which I am truly thankful!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Microstudio,

You stated, "I do not like Kontakt..."...May I ask what is not to like?
    Since you asked..... I do not like having to load Kontakt and then having to load the plugins inside it...IMHO I am doing things twice and adding in more resource computing and adjustments compared to just loading a vst and only using MWS ..... but like I said to each his own...Rock On!