Close

Thread: LGA2011 builds?

Blog Entries

Default LGA2011 builds?

Has anyone built any computers using the LGA2011 X79 socket and chipset?

I am in the process of building one using the Xeon E5-2670 should be fun.

Blog Entries

Default Re: LGA2011 builds?

Here is the motherboard it's a Chinese board but gets great reviews and Has 2 M.2 slots which will be crazy fast. It runs some very fast CPUs up to 12 core which will be more than enough and it's very inexpensive. More info coming soon.

Here is the Motherboard.
    Last edited by Microstudio; 11-24-2019 at 07:31 PM.

I'm very very interested!!....can you let me know how it turns out?

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    Here is the motherboard it's a Chinese board but gets great reviews and Has 2 M.2 slots which will be crazy fast. It runs some very fast CPUs up to 12 core which will be more than enough and it's very inexpensive. More info coming soon.

Here is the Motherboard.
    Is there a reason for picking a random Chinese motherboard?

Even if the quality if the hardware is stellar, its meaningless without good BIOS and Driver support.

Additionally if you have issues where are you going to get support?
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Is there a reason for picking a random Chinese motherboard?

Even if the quality if the hardware is stellar, its meaningless without good BIOS and Driver support.

Additionally if you have issues where are you going to get support?
    This chipset is old so there are not any new boards out there other than these that I could find, this is not a random board. The Bois is fine for my needs and are known to work well for this board. I will have a 12 core PC with 64GB of 1866 DDR3 ram and solid-state drives running OS/SAW/MWS all for very cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    This chipset is old so there are not any new boards out there other than these that I could find, this is not a random board. The Bois is fine for my needs and are known to work well for this board. I will have a 12 core PC with 64GB of 1866 DDR3 ram and solid-state drives running OS/SAW/MWS all for very cheap.
    12 cores doesn't buy you anything with SAW/SAC. Those extra cores will be functionally wasted.

Its also a power hog at 115W.

I'm not sure I understand the point of building a new system on functionally old technology.

If your going to go through the effort to build a new system, would it not be a better long term investment to move the technology as far forward as possible (obviously constrained by cost).

I'm not suggesting spending vast amounts of money just because, but SATA connected SSD drives are dog slow compared to modern M.2 drives. If the point is to get a high-performance, low-latency system I think you'd be better off with a more modern configuration.

My point is not to criticize your choice just to point out a possible alternative point of view and perhaps some drawbacks/limitations you might want to consider.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    12 cores doesn't buy you anything with SAW/SAC. Those extra cores will be functionally wasted.

Its also a power hog at 115W.

I'm not sure I understand the point of building a new system on functionally old technology.

If your going to go through the effort to build a new system, would it not be a better long term investment to move the technology as far forward as possible (obviously constrained by cost).

I'm not suggesting spending vast amounts of money just because, but SATA connected SSD drives are dog slow compared to modern M.2 drives. If the point is to get a high-performance, low-latency system I think you'd be better off with a more modern configuration.

My point is not to criticize your choice just to point out a possible alternative point of view and perhaps some drawbacks/limitations you might want to consider.
    This build is not just to run SAW/MWS but it will run it fine. My MB has 2 M.2 drives bays and can use all the LGS2011 X79 chipset Xeons so there are great CPUs to use with it for years to come. There are Xeons under 100 watts if I choose 10 cores or lower but the MB can handle the higher watts also.