Good day,

Not too sure about the title for this post, but over the years I have not had too much success obtaining a suitable audio interface with a Hi-Z input for use with a guitar using humbucking pickups.

Interestingly, in a call to the folks at RME some time ago, they intimated to me that they do not recommend using the Hi-Z input on a number of their interfaces - but rather they suggested using a DI appropriate for your device, which in my case would be an active DI.

As a previous owner of a number of ADA8000's - with the subsequent upgrade to the ADA8200's, as these devices did not provide Hi-Z, I used an active DI - A Radial PRO48, to obtain the optimal input level.

And as I have now down-sized my current configuration, I am using a Behringer UJMC404HD - as these interfaces use the same preamps as do the ADA's.

However, the Hi-Z inputs have too much gain - even with the PAD enabled, and am, as a result, noticing a small amount of distortion. With the PAD disabled, I am unable to obtain a satisfactory input level without the clipping of the input signal.

So, should I therefore, use an active DI with the input set for 48v?

Thoughts...suggestions? Thanks in advance...