Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sound card or interface recommendation?

I recently purchased a new Dell from Costco to replace my old XP machine. Now I need to get a sound card or interface for it, as DAL no longer supports their Card Deluxe (of which I have several) under Windows 10.

My work is in commercial production for radio, not music creation, so I do not need anything elaborate, just analog ins and outs and excellent sound quality.. What would users here recommend?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rod

Default Re: Sound card or interface recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Pullman View Post
    I recently purchased a new Dell from Costco to replace my old XP machine. Now I need to get a sound card or interface for it, as DAL no longer supports their Card Deluxe (of which I have several) under Windows 10.

My work is in commercial production for radio, not music creation, so I do not need anything elaborate, just analog ins and outs and excellent sound quality.. What would users here recommend?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rod
    Hi Rod,

Would you mind sharing what model Dell you purchased? I'd look it up to see what i/o it has.

Of course you can't go wrong with RME products.

PM me if you'd like to spend as litte $ as possible. I have some surplus PCI Lynx cards. They're excellent quality IMO. LynxTwo's and L22's.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Digital View Post
    Hi Rod,

Would you mind sharing what model Dell you purchased? I'd look it up to see what i/o it has.

PM me if you'd like to spend as litte $ as possible. I have some surplus PCI Lynx cards. They're excellent quality IMO. LynxTwo's and L22's.

Dave
    Thanks for replying so quickly, Dave. It’s a Dell XPS 8930. i7-9700 Intel Corp Processor, 256gb SSD, 1tb SATA drive, room for expansion.

Blog Entries

Hello,

Have a look at the Behringer UMC series...good value and use the same Midas pre's as the ADA's.

In have both the UMC202HD and the UMC404HD

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

Have a look at the Behringer UMC series...good value and use the same Midas pre's as the ADA's.

In have both the UMC202HD and the UMC404HD
    Agreed. The Behringer UMC series is remarkably good sounding and robust. And to top it off, inexpensive. I own a UMC 1820 and have made good, clean multi-track recordings with it. Depending on the number of inputs you need, you may be satisfied with the 202: https://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUMC202HD
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Pullman View Post
    Thanks for replying so quickly, Dave. It***8217;s a Dell XPS 8930. i7-9700 Intel Corp Processor, 256gb SSD, 1tb SATA drive, room for expansion.
    OK. Thanks. It has no PCI slots (only PCIe) so that rules out an 'older' PCI card.

As you probably know, there are these two pro-level cards which give high quality 2ch i/o...

https://www.lynxstudio.com/products/e22/

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/hdspe_aio.php

OK. Thanks. It has no PCI slots (only PCIe) so that rules out an 'older' PCI card.

As you probably know, there are these two pro-level cards which give high quality 2ch i/o...

https://www.lynxstudio.com/products/e22/

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/hdspe_aio.php

I would watch with the Lynx right now. I've been using the Aurora(n)Thunderbolt and went through a lot to get this to work, but it can be buggy. I had a Lynx AES16e which was also buggy.
    I'd stick with RME if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy McLoughlin View Post
    I would watch with the Lynx right now. I've been using the Aurora(n)Thunderbolt and went through a lot to get this to work, but it can be buggy. I had a Lynx AES16e which was also buggy.
    Yeah, I don't disagree. I have an AES16e and older AES16 and the 16e running on Win7 has been flaky at times. I've had anomalies with their new mixer application and generally found the older cards to be rock solid in comparison. Not sure what's going on.

I have a RME 9632, Raydat and Babyface pro and they've all performed very well.

Oh, hey... The Babyface Pro may be up your alley, Rod. I forgot about that one.

Default Re: Sound card or interface recommendation? Thank you!

Hi Rod,

Dave
    Appreciate the thoughtful recommendations, guys. I will explore further the ones you have mentioned.

Default Re: Sound card or interface recommendation? I chose...

...the Behringer UMC404. Sweetwater offeres an additional year of waranty protection and threw in 2-day shipping at no additional charge. Very happy with their sales engineer, John. It's been 12-15 years since I've spent anything on pro audio gear and I'm surprised at how prices have dropped in some areas. Thanks again to those who offered helpful advice. I'm looking forward to (finally) getting up to speed with SAW Studio. SAWPro has been my go-to for as long as it's been around (and before that, SAW Plus and SAW) Bob Lentini is a true gem.