Close

Default Any suggestions for quiet 2u computer build.

I am considering rebuilding my noisy 1.5u rackmount computer to a more modern quiet version, running the latest version of Windows 10. Any suggestions for motherboard, power supply, etc.?

Default Re: Any suggestions for quiet 2u computer build.

Here is the case I have been using.

It will take any MicroATX motherboard. You'll want to swap out the case fans with quiet options. The stock CPU fan has worked fine for me.

https://www.gtweb.net/product/1-5u-microatx-chassis/

See my system build posts for motherboard.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

dbarrow,

In all honesty, recommending hardware is "for naught" ... " 'cause the stuff is changin' all the time!"

The key to a quite system would ideally be a "computer system without fans".
    * See here as well.

The two main areas of a computer that could potentially be noisy are the CPU and PSU.
    * I do hope that you realize that a 1.5U case has less options for PSU's than do 3U and 4U racks.

I would check out a local computer shop and see what they have to offer.
    * This being said, the CPU fan that I chose for my 1U system was a fan by company called, "Noctua".

Other than that, check out Philip G's posts as noted. His workmanship and research work are impeccable!

Hi;

I agree fully about the Noctua fans, don't know if the come in a horizontal configuration though! Also the fan control option on the Asus Motherboards keeps your computer very very quiet, one of the tricks is to get the largest diameter fan you fit in the case, even if that means modifying the case to provide a grille above the CPU fan so the air can get out and separate the air going in from the hot air coming out, to make sure the air does not circulate and gets hotter and hotter!

Quiet a puzzle in with such limited height.

Cheers...
    Robert V.
    www.shinustudios.com
    www.art2ear.com

They ( Noctua ) do make a very low (37mm) fan that could work! (only 95mm diam though!)
    Also find a CPU meant for Laptop use which tend to have lower power consumption therefore requiring less cooling

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-l9i

Hope this helps!
    Robert V.
    www.shinustudios.com
    www.art2ear.com

Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    They ( Noctua ) do make a very low (37mm) fan that could work! (only 95mm diam though!)
    Also find a CPU meant for Laptop use which tend to have lower power consumption therefore requiring less cooling

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-l9i

Hope this helps!
    Thanks. I will measure the current CPU fan and see if this will work. This might be the thing that makes the difference. Otherwise, I may just get a taller rack and use a 3u or 4u rackmount computer. I already have several cases for that.